Feature

What We Played #131: Stick It To The Man, Rayman Fiesta Run & Killzone 3

PlayStation two...

Did you all enjoy the PlayStation 4 All Access show this morning? For some reason it seemed like a good idea to write this while watching, so I’m going to dedicate all of this week’s spelling mistakes to the PlayStation 4 and blame them on pseudo-launch day excitement.

I did at least get some gaming in this week as I managed to find another couple of hours for Beyond: Two Souls. While I am still convinced that it is not a game, I am sure that I am thoroughly enjoying it and as keen as ever to find out where the remainder of the story will take me.

Aran reviewed Stick It To The Man which he thought was “brilliant”. “Such a well made game and funny”. His review goes into more detail and he says that if “the small bugs and niggles weren’t there then it would have been a 10″.

He also picked up the new Rocksmith having decided that he wanted to relearn guitar after giving it up about 8 years ago. “It’s a very good teaching tool allowing you to go at your own pace, but also challenging you to be better. Will be playing it daily.”

PlayStation 4 All Access update: Magic Lab and NASA!  Can I haz space?

If you have been avidly reading TSA all week you will have a pretty good idea of what Blair has been playing. Firstly, there’s the “great” Ratchet & Clank: Nexus which he says is “a real return to form for the series, which doesn’t do much new beyond A Crack In Time but does it all well”. Also in his doing nothing new but executing it well is Rayman Fiesta Run.

And then there’s The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, which surprisingly does a lot of new for the Zelda formula, and does it extremely well, crafting a more open experience. It’s still the same Zelda, but it’s absolutely great and one of the best handheld games in the series.

PlayStation 4 All Access update: Towerfall! Final nail in my OUYA’s coffin?

Stefan has not had much time for games this week (which is sometimes his code for playing stuff he can’t tell us about) but he did find time for a few rounds of Call Of Duty: Ghosts’ Extinction mode with community members Gazza, Jim and FontanaBoy, and “had a rollicking good time battling our way through alien hives”.

After disposing of the family for a night Dom got some concentrated gaming in. Filling the roster were Uncharted 3 which he’s “really enjoying now”, Killzone 3, Transformers Fall Of Cybertron and Pokémon Y! “It felt like I’ve played more since I played those a lot, but I guess not!”

“The other game I’ve played is hoovering up all the PS4 information and videos I can read/watch. Really this is just a form of torture until mine arrives.”  I would point and laugh but I’ve just got up before 4 in the morning to torture myself by watching the American launch! At least I can get into work early and grab a Full English from the canteen to kick start my day.

PlayStation 4 All Access update: Blocky Snake? Isn’t that a Nokia game?

Last up this week is DanToo who has played the “occasional few sessions on Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Black Ops 2 which are very fun indeed. Played a little Killzone 3, which is still bloody brilliant.”

PlayStation 4 All Access update: Mon. Tage. And LAUNCH!

Have you played much this week?

1. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I’ve played lots of Batman Arkham Asylum, no next gen consoles for me this year so I’ll be ploughing into Sleeping Dogs next, that should keep me busy until the new year! I’ve also spent a few hours with GTA Online which is all the more excellent now that I have several TSAers on my friends list. Lastly, I played a few hours of Tiny Death Star on my girlfriends ipad, realised I have no self control and that it was just as addictive and ultimately pointless at Cookie Clicker and stopped before my life was ruined. Cookie Clicker was awesome though, big numbers are so much fun!

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 17:16.
  2. stueeeee

I’m still flicking between gta (single player and online) beyond, Ratchet and clank HD collection, and animal crossing. A Good variety!

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 17:21.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

100%’ed The Knife of Dunwall (Dishonored) DLC. The DLC is a really good continuation of the game. I also completed my High Chaos playthrough of the Brigmore Witches DLC and have started my Low Chaos playthrough.

I also played a bit of GTA Online with McProley and BlackRedYellow (who I kept pistol-whipping by mistake)! :/

I finally 100%’ed Escape Plan on Vita too, returning to the rather hard challenges in the Director’s Cut DLC. Well chuffed to have done that.

Some Killzone Mercenary too. Only need a couple of trophies for the plat but a grind of 3,000 kills isn’t exactly giving me much motivation.

Played the CastleStorm demo which I really enjoyed. May purchase it too since I think it’s cross-buy.

Going to play the new BioShock Infinite DLC over the weekend and probably some more GTA Online too.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 17:48.
  4. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Yeah Beyond isnt a game, but it was enjoyable. Been playing far cry 3 killzone mercs again, but its been a busy week a uni.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 18:21.
  5. R1MJAW

Not really played a great deal this week.
    Still playing EDF 2017 on Vita (have finished my 2nd play through) and the occasional blast of Skate 3 whenever I can’t decide what to play.
    I’ve also been playing Mario Tennis Open on 3DS.
    For the last few days I’ve been playing Remember Me, which I platinumed this morning (number 98, my quest for 100 before PS4 arrives continues). I found it thoroughly enjoyable, although a few of the fight sequences on Memory Hunter (hard) difficulty were quite frustrating.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 18:45.
    • freezebug2

Ratchet and Clank Nexus is apparently only a 12 hour platinum if you are spoilt for choice and fancy something different to play apart from the backlog bunch for a 99th.
      Should have received my copy yesterday, Royal Mail struggling already with seasonal delivery deadlines….yawn!

Comment posted on 16/11/2013 at 09:08.
      • R1MJAW

I have a decent selection of stuff to choose from in my backlog. I also picked up a few newer games recently (Walking with Dinosaurs and Lego Marvel) so getting at least 2 platinum before the 29th shouldn’t be too difficult.

Comment posted on 16/11/2013 at 15:15.
      • freezebug2

Fair enough, I know that sometimes a games backlog can look like too much of a groan compared to some of the newer and fresher games available, but as you’ve got some more recent games in the collection for completion…sorted!

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 15:42.
  6. tactical20

Yeah, not too much for me either this week. Just been doing the space ship parts and letter scraps in GTA5, which I’ll finish tonight. Might try stunt jumps next. Don’t fancy flying under bridges.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 19:29.
  7. blast71
    Since: May 2012

Skyrim, Skyrim, & more Skyrim. Will it ever end? Will I get bored of it? Not anytime soon, much to the annoyance of the rest of my backlog :p

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 20:08.
  8. jimmy-google

Mainly been playing fifa 14 after finishing beyond.

Also got to play knack, fifa 14 and contrast on ps4.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 20:48.
  9. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Put a few hours into Remember Me. Liking what I’ve played so far but I’m glad I didn’t buy it.

Comment posted on 15/11/2013 at 21:54.
  10. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

The week started with Transformers Fall of Cybertron, which I enjoyed very much. Both single player and multiplayer are solid great fun ^^ I almost finished the plat for it, so now I’m playing Uncharted 3 (for the first time). I don’t know why in some previous podcast I heard bad thing about this game and that it is worse than the previous parts – I’m now after the plane crash chapter and so far the game is just a pure masterpiece. From visuals to audio and gameplay, the game is just fantastic. If the end will not let me down, I think it’s 10/10 for me :)

Comment posted on 16/11/2013 at 09:35.