GAME Is Cancelling PS4 Pre-Orders, Apparently Without Explanation

Check your digits.

It appears that UK retailer GAME has cancelled a number of PlayStation 4 pre-orders without any explanation.

The issue was raised on the PlayStation Forums and since then many gamers have found their PS4 pre-orders have been annulled. A Twitter search reveals the problem is widespread.

It appears that GAME is trying to take money off old credit cards. TSA regular Cameron Brewster pre-ordered his PS4 in June and paid a £20 deposit at GAME and £4.95 delivery “just to make sure it got to me for launch day on November 29th”. Then, during the Eurogamer Expo he upgraded to the Killzone Mega-bundle for £429.99.

“On November 25th, I get an email to say my PS4 pre-order had been cancelled. No prior warning, no previous attempts at taking the money. They just instantly cancelled because they couldn’t get any money off of me.”

“However, I checked the night before that my GAME account had my new and up-to-date card registered with it, which it did. I also made sure my old debit card was deleted, which it was. They had tried to take my money twice using my old, now out-dated, debit card and didn’t even consider trying to use the new one linked to my account. My bank account also has the funds available to fulfil the order, so it wasn’t that the money isn’t there to be taken.”

GAME gave him 48 hours to contact them and get the order reinstated. He tried phoning them “only to be greeted by some automated rubbish which is only used for product and store information.”

He was told to use the GAME customer services via a web chat “only to be disconnected once I’d got to the front of the 175+ strong queue.”

In the end he had to bombard the GAME Twitter account with tweets before they finally responded. He sent the information they requested but says, “Since I sent that DM, I’ve heard nothing from them, and time is ticking.”

“I’m afraid to say but this fiasco has resulted in me deciding to never use GAME again once I’ve finally got the PS4 in my hands (whenever that might be),” he added.

GAME seems to be aware they have a problem and posted the tweet below, and have also created a contact form for those experiencing problems, which you can access here.

TSA’s Peter’s pre-orders both dispatched this morning, after payment was successfully taken from the card linked to the order. In that case, there was an email almost a week prior reminding him to check his order and ensure the payment details were correct.

This latest issue with PS4 pre-orders follows a weekend in which reports arose of ShopTo cancelling their customers’ orders without notice. Sufficed to say, if you’ve got a preorder with anyone, it would be wise to check up on it today.

If we hear anything from Game on this issue, we’ll keep you posted.

Many thanks to Cameron Brewster for his help with this item.

Read more: # #
  1. CarBoyCam
    Since: Sep 2009

GAME’s website does not have the logic to fall back on card info linked to your account. It used the card which I paid my deposit with despite it being deleted from my account months ago.

I had no idea that form existed and I’ve now requested a call-back.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:10.
  2. ArrebatoTarugo
    Since: Jul 2013

I’m Panicking. Why my Amazon order is not being prepared yet? Will they do it on time for the Friday?

Lord give me the strengh…

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:14.
    • jimmy-google

I believe amazon will do their preparing and shipping tomorrow so they are in delivery warehouses for Friday morning

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:26.
      • f4rgo
        Since: Dec 2011

I bloody hope so!

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 12:37.
      • DJ Judas
        Epic

If you chose first-class delivery then it will be processed and shipped tomorrow (27th) if you chose one-day/expedited delivery then it will not be processed and shipped until Thursday (28th).

They started authorisation for funds yesterday with the banks.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 13:01.
      • f4rgo
        Since: Dec 2011

I opted for 1st class so will keep an eye on my credit card then as nothing on it today, thanks.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 14:50.
  3. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

That’s why I always use Amazon… best customer service around!

Hope people affected get it sorted though, that sucks.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:15.
    • transbaconist (formerly bacon_nuts)
      Since: Mar 2011

Lucky for some. My Pokemon Y preorder was late. I still haven’t received Tearaway… I’m fuming. Don’t think they’ll be getting any more business off me for a while.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:41.
      • Vallon
        Since: Sep 2013

I’ve not had any problems with Amazon for preorders (that comment is SO going to come back to bite me come Friday..) and their returns policy is superb.

/crosses fingers

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 15:47.
      • blarty
        Since: Apr 2011

Amazon’s problems stem not from them sending it out late but the people that are delivering it, Items that we order even with Amazon Prime, if delivered by Royal Mail you’ve got only a slim chance of them being next day delivery. I’ve had issues with Amazon using Yodel, but Citylink have been pretty good, but DPD are spot on, even ringing you to confirm what time they’ll be delivering.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 17:01.
      • transbaconist (formerly bacon_nuts)
        Since: Mar 2011

Blarty, I’d assumed that was part of the problem, but as I can’t be bothered to pay for amazon Prime, I’ll have to stick with Royal Mail, which means I’d rather go to a shop and pick one up. Lesson learned I guess, it’s just frustrating because Amazon are a little cheaper.

Thing that really gets me is that both my brother and I ordered Pokemon, one X, one Y, he got his on release, I didn’t. Annoying. I assume with tearaway they just prioritised all the Xbox oneses…

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 17:27.
    • Severn2j

Agreed, I always use Amazon for those exact reasons. Their returns policy is second to none. Also, I pre-ordered my PS4 with a (now) expired debit card and they were smart enough to email me to let me know to change it and didnt cancel my preorder.

Why anybody uses GAME is beyond me…

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 16:01.
  4. chall5
    Since: Oct 2009

Pre-ordering sounds stressful

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:16.
    • cam the man

I’ve always pre-ordered new console to be delivered and never had a problem, hope it stays that way. My nearest store that’ll be open at midnight is over 40 miles away so it’s the only practical option for me.
      No problems with ShopTo for me as payment has been taken and I’ve got tracking number for delivery.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 13:39.
  5. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Whilst there will probably be mistakes/upsets with a lot of retailers, GAME seem to have a history of AWFUL communication and customer service. For a long period no “emails” that you sent via their site would send, and the number they gave to call didn’t work (was old I believe). I was “unable” to change my PS4 + CoD order to a PS4 + CoD Hardened Edition, even though it wasn’t a bundle and more money for them. Some idiot also didn’t even both to read my emails and said I couldn’t change my Xbox One order, “which was convenient since I ordered a PS4″. Fortunately they did refund my £20 deposit and I got what I wanted from ShopTo. I will try to avoid GAME (and Zavvi) whenever possible in future.

Hopefully these people affected will get their orders sorted and fulfilled.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:16.
  6. 3shirts

Checked my ShopTo Mega Bundle and it’s all good. I paid in full a couple of weeks ago to make sure there was no problem with charging my card

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:17.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I did the same, to avoid any last-minute payment problems! Great option to have.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:55.
  7. jesta
    Since: Feb 2011

A couple of weeks ago I received the email from Game stating they would be taking payments earlier and that I should ensure funds are available in my account.

Having made sure funds were in the account, I also went and viewed both the address and card details attached to that order. Both were old information. I was able to change both address and card details attached to THAT order with no problems what so ever.

They will have an automated system processing each order one by one on the card details attached to it and will not have the functionality to fall back to other cards.

Whilst I feel sorry for anyone hit by this, people need to get into the habit of checking and double checking everything is right on orders to not be disappointed.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:25.
  8. MuggleMind

I had no problems with shopto (seeing the linked story from neogaf). They sent me two text messages telling me they had been unable to take the money from my account. Turned out it was my bank being dicks. Went to the shopto site, and paid using paypal instead. Job done.

Hope everyone that pre-ordered gets their PS4s though.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:27.
  9. Tarbun84
    Since: Feb 2012

This is why I pre ordered in store. Too many disappointments with Online pre orders. Especially with Amazon

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:32.
  10. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

I wouldn’t order a pizza from GAME if the they sold them. Awful company. Amazon all the way.

Comment posted on 26/11/2013 at 11:36.