Feature

What We Played #134: Gran Turismo 6, Battlefield 4 & Guacamelee

flOwing freely.

A short entry this week, partly owing to the WWP: PS4 Launch Day Special that already covers a lot of what many of us have been playing since Sony unleashed their parallelogram of gaming upon their European customers.

Since writing that special I’ve played a lot more Resogun and am starting to work my way up the difficulty levels. It’s truly chaotic fun playing online co-op. I’ve also played the first level of Warframe and am currently undecided about it. I’m looking forward to trying that online with friends to see how it plays out, and I know Jim’s working on a review, so it’s worth keeping a curious eye out for that.

I was surprised last night to find flOw on the PS4 store. Somehow I must have missed news that it was coming to the PS4 and like Flower would be free to those who’d bought it on PS3. Having written about it the other day in my Memories Of A Generation piece it was immediately downloaded and I played through the first ‘campaign’ to find that it’s still amazing.

Stefan has been spending as much time with Gran Turismo 6 as he could this week, trying to get ahead of today’s launch. He says that in summary “it’s a bit like GT5 but with better menus and new cars and tracks and stuff”. You can already find his early impressions here on TSA, as he’s working on a review for next week.

“Too many university assignments”, which is surely any number greater than 0, have restricted DanToo’s gaming time pretty heavily this week. All he’s managed to play is “a little of Battlefield 4, which is absolutely brilliant”. This is his last week of uni for the year though, so he’s looking forward to plenty of gaming over the coming weeks.

And now I’ll leave you with the gaming exploits of Dom and his son:

I’ve played more games this week than I have for ages (though it’s still probably not that much!). Resogun has been my go-to game on PS4 as it’s just brilliantly put together, and my friend has a really high score that I need to beat! I haven’t checked today but I was at least beating Blair last time I looked.

Killzone: Shadow Fall is great, though I haven’t dedicated much time to it, and the same goes for Need For Speed Rivals. Playroom showed some promise for the camera and my 2 year old son loved the baby robots!

It’s the Vita that I picked up the same week as my PS4 that has been seeing the lion’s share of gaming, with Lego Lord Of The Rings, Sonic All-Stars Racing and Guacamelee sharing time with Resogun remote play (which only lets itself down with the L2 and R2 touchpad controls getting too difficult to hit accurately in the heat of battle).

What’s been your go-to game of choice this week?

1. TSBonyman

Even though i have Killzone SW and AC IV, i’ve mostly spent this week playing the “superbly addictive til you die too many times then quit .. then load it up again fifteen minutes later for another go”- Resogun.
    And Trine 2.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 17:04.
  2. R1MJAW

Mainly Knack on PS4.
    Finished my first playthrough of Legend of Zelda:A Link Between Worlds, it was thoroughly enjoyable.
    Have since gone back to Tearaway, I’m currently about halfway through.
    I also hit 10,000 trophies on Wednesday, mostly thanks to an effectively free platinum from Sound Shapes on PS4 … once I managed to get the cloud save sync to actually work.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 17:21.
  3. stonyk

Only 1 game – BF4 on PS4 all week. Had a little try on the Vita but refuse to play single player that way as I’ll miss all the stunning visuals. As much as I’m impressed with it I can really see how this generation will improve – only small parts are graphically stunning and once they apply that level consistently through the games then it’ll be awesome.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 17:31.
  4. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

I’ve been caning BF4 & Resogun since launch with an odd game of FIFA inbetween. That’s apart from yesterday when I spent the best part of the day (& today) on AC4 which I got by trading in my copy of KZ which bored the hell out of me.
    I’m not sure what some of the critics were talking about when a few of them knocked the graphics on BF4 cos I think it’s the best looking game I’ve played so far.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 17:36.
  5. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Mainly CoD Ghosts on PS4….enjoying all the MP modes including Extinction…although the SP is a bit pony (so far).

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 17:39.
  6. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

All about shadow fall for me this week. Great fun online. Had a bit of Guacamelee on the vita.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 18:56.
  7. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

All Need for speed and Resogun, with a liberal helping of War Thunder.

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 19:54.
  8. blast71
    Since: May 2012

This week I’ve been playing the “too many hours at work, not enough time & energy to be bothered with gaming” game.
    And the “being attacked by a bastid dog whilst at work” game. Not that enjoyable if I’m being honest, and no trophies for it either. :(
    Although I did get to kick said vicious dog in the head,twice. Which was nice…

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 21:04.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Bastid dog! What do you do for work that means you’re subjected to dog attacks?

Comment posted on 07/12/2013 at 07:52.
      • blast71
        Since: May 2012

I’m a courier delivering parcels. As I put the parcels down, door opened and luckily I caught sight of the dog out of the corner of my eye, charging past women towards my throat. Instinctively I put my arm up and the dog grabbed that instead. Managed to punch it in the throat and it released it’s grip, then it jumped at me again, kicked it in the head, jumped again, kicked in head again before it realised not to f**k with me anymore, then the women got it back in the house.
        All in a days work ;p

Comment posted on 07/12/2013 at 12:27.
    • freezebug2

It’s more often than not the dogs owner that needs the kick up the arse and banned from keeping dogs. Obviously you have to to protect yourself but this subject really riles me when the twats that own these dogs never have to account for the outcome of their cruel upbringing of mans best friend. Arseholes!!

rant done.

Comment posted on 07/12/2013 at 11:12.
      • Broonba
        Since: Mar 2009

Aye, exactly. I got attacked a couple of times by bastard dogs when i used to be a postman. A woman reported me for kicking her dog but backed down soon after she was shown photos of the bite marks on my leg. Bitch.
        Sorry but she was.

Comment posted on 07/12/2013 at 14:55.
  9. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

Completed the story on Killzone Shadowfall, Contrast and Tearaway this week pick of which without doubt was Tearaway – one of the best games I’ve played on any system.

I’m up to rank 20 on Need for Speed Rivals as a racer, but the last pursuit is such a bitch! Tons of other stuff to do in game yet though, I want to try and get gold on every event plus then I’ll probably do it all again as a cop.

Also played a bit of killzone online, quite enjoyable. Dabbled with a bit of Warframe as well.

Got Knack coming tomorrow which I picked up for £35 (new and sealed) which was a bit of a bargain and Mario 3D has been a little neglected so I’ll spend some time on that next week :)

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 22:09.
    • Vallon
      Since: Sep 2013

My Knack won’t arrive till Monday now :( finished the last chapter on rivals though so at rank 21 as a racer. That last race was really tough.

Comment posted on 07/12/2013 at 16:53.
  10. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve finished contrast and got 100% of the trophies. Been playing a bit of killzone SF and the superb resogun! It’s amazing,its always just one more go!

Comment posted on 06/12/2013 at 22:11.