Feature

TSA Game Of The Year 2013 - Soundtracks

Music that'll make you click.

The soundtrack is gradually becoming one of the more important parts of a game, able to ever-so-gentle affect the tone and mood of a game. Battlefield 4′s modern war zones are accompanied by the, for want of a better term, gritty and heavily distorted thudding and synths, standing in stark contrast to Austin Wintory’s hauntingly etherial compositions for last year’s winner, Journey.

This year’s staff winner comes from a newcomer to the video games industry, as Gustavo Santaolalla’s sublimely evocative work leant an extra dimension to the world and atmosphere of The Last of Us.

Even just the title music brings together all of the inspirations and themes from the game. With the ronroco gracefully picking out the melody above a selection of strings, drums, it has moments of sorrow, poignance, hope, redemption, all within the space of a few minutes. But through the rest of the soundtrack, he finds so many ways to use a wide selection of common, exotic and unusual instruments with which to compose music absolutely appropriate for every moment within the post-apocalyptic story of the game.

It’s unsurprising, then, that The Last of Us holds a commanding gap to BioShock Infinite in second place. Infinite too saw a strong original score come to the front, but this was combined with the anachronistic renditions of more modern popular music than the game’s 1912 setting should allow.

BioShock just about manages to beat GTA V, which sits in third thanks in part to its simply vast selection of licensed music, spread out across in-game radio stations. In an interesting twist, they turn to these radio stations and specific tracks at specific moments during the story, for greater dramatic effect.

Rayman Legends original soundtrack mixed with the exquisitely clever levels designed around the rhythms and music of Black Betty and other popular modern music to secure itself in fourth place. An honourable mention goes to a Peter Chapman other than our own, as the TSA owner’s namesake teamed up with Rom Di Prisco for Guacamelee! in fifth, ahead of The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Tearaway, Monaco and finally Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

The Last of Us featured TheSixthAxis’ soundtrack of the year.

GOTY-Soundtrack

1. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Thoroughly deserved!

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 09:04.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Great, glad TLoU won – in a lot of games I often don’t even notice the music, so the fact that I thought the soundtrack was great says a lot.

Nice to see Guacamelee getting some love again too!

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 09:10.
  3. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

So, glad GTAV did not win, like on the silly VGX. Ni no Kuni not even mentioned? Seems strange.

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 09:12.
    • blackredyellow
      Since: Mar 2009

I agree on GTAV, the music was my only real disappointment.

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 14:12.
  4. Scythegpd
    Since: Jul 2010

TLoU was a superb original score on an overall basis and a deserving winner.
    But my single musical highlight was the barbershop quartet early in Bioshock Infinite

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 09:56.
    • McProley
      Since: Aug 2011

Yeah, the barbershop quartet doing the Beach Boys was awesome!

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 12:37.
  5. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Great choice, the whole cinematic experience in The Last Of Us was superb, great game.

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 10:01.
  6. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

TLoU was a great soundtrack but I forgot about Rayman’s Black Betty that level alone probably takes it for me. I remember crying with laughter playing that level of awesomeness

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 10:56.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Oh yeah that was cool – only played the demo but I think I kept the demo on my PS3 just so I could play it again! :)

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 10:58.
  7. TSBonyman

TLoU thoroughly deserving, but Bioshock had some lovely ‘folkie’ musical interludes too. I haven’t picked up Rayman Legends yet but Black Betty’s inclusion tickled my nostalgia for the nightclubs of my mis-spent youth. :)

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 10:56.
  8. boyinastairwell
    Since: Jun 2010

A deserved winner. One of the few soundtracks I actually own

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 11:03.
  9. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

It was a toss-up between The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite for me.

Other than those two games I thought it was a poor year for game soundtracks though. The only other theme I could whistle or hum right now is Beyond’s.

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 12:12.
  10. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed the Tearaway soundtrack MM always pick great kooky tracks that really fit there games. The Go Team on LBP1 was great too

Comment posted on 23/12/2013 at 12:40.