Ubisoft Discuss Rayman's Legendary Next Generation Improvements

Assassins, Camera Mode and no loading.

Rayman Legends was a superb game – our platform game of the year, in fact. The Wii U version was definitely the best one, featuring slightly better visuals and a host of GamePad features, but the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game could just be that little bit better.

First of all – and we’ll get this out of the way so we can move on to the fun stuff – the game’s releasing on February 21st in the UK, which isn’t too long to wait at all. Let’s just hope Ubisoft don’t push that date forward by six months because they decide to do versions for other platforms too.

You’ll find new characters to play as in the game. These won’t offer anything more than an aesthetic overhaul, but they are quite inspired. For the Xbox One, there’s Ray Vaas and Far Glob, inspired by Far Cry 3′s villain, as well as Splinter Ray, based on Sam Fisher.

Rayman Legends

On PS4, you’ll find a Rayman costume that makes him look a bit like Jax Teller from Sons of Anarchy, because they’re putting in a hero inspired by his swashbuckling lookalike from Assassin’s Creed IV, Edward Kenway. And then, if you use your UPlay points, you can buy Funky Ray. I’d imagine he’s very disco. If you’re really good at playing the online challenges portion, then you’ll also be able to unlock a VIP hero named Champion Ray.

Coming exclusively to the Xbox One version is time-limited achievements, which take the form of ten exclusive challenges that you’ll have to complete in one week, else the achievements will be locked away forever. That sounds like an achievement hunters worse nightmare.

Thankfully, Ubisoft have saved PS4 players from such treachery and time limits and are giving them some good DualShock 4 based features. This means that there’s a new Camera Mode, activated by pressing the touchpad, which then freezes the game and lets you zoom in and out or pan to adjust the frame. Then, because of that handy Share button, you can give it a tap and send it to twitter or Facebook. That’s better than posing for a selfie with your egg sandwich.

Plus, you’ll also be able to emulate real gambling by using the touchpad to scratch away all of your hopes and dreams, revealing new characters, levels and collectibles. Just like in the Wii U version. Oh, and there’s naturally Remote Play which makes last year’s Vita release a little bit pointless unless you actually like to go outside of your house to a place without WiFi.

Rayman Legends - PS4 share

Are you ready for this bit? Sitting down? Ready to go? There’s no load times. At all. You’ll just be able to dive straight into a level and because of some next generation tomfoolery you can play straight away.

Along with improved graphics, these seem like hugely worthwhile additions to the game, and if you played the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions, it might be worth the jump. If you played on Wii U, it might not be as huge a difference but there’s still things there to entice you.

Source: UbiBlog

1. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

I’m going to in on this I think. It’ll be great multiplayer with the kids. Also 1 or 2 nice little bits extra. I know from Vita it’s good fun.

Comment posted on 10/01/2014 at 18:09.
  2. tactical20

Didn’t get the PS3 version, so looking forward to this.

Comment posted on 10/01/2014 at 19:37.
  3. ico
    Since: Aug 2010

I’ve played the heck out of the Vita version and probably only about halfway through. I’d suggest it’s one of the best platformers I’ve ever played (and I’ve played a fair few Marios). The learning curve and just-one-more-try factor (especially on the challenges) is disgustingly perfect. Sort of scenario when you whack it on for a few levels at half 10 then it’s suddenly midnight. And the controls, sublime. The more formats it is on the better!

Comment posted on 10/01/2014 at 20:45.
    • DividSmythe
      Since: May 2012

Hit it on the on the button there :-D

Comment posted on 11/01/2014 at 01:22.
  4. flatspikes

Since the Vita version got the patch does that not make it almost as good as the Wii-U version or an I missing something? Also price is an issue Vita version about £15 vs £40+ on PS4

Comment posted on 11/01/2014 at 09:12.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

No multiplayer on the Vita though. And possibly fewer costumes, should that matter. I know Wii U has Mario and Luigi outfits along with the aforementioned disco-man.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 08:42.
      • flatspikes

Ah yes multiplayer guess that’s the rub on this one. Bit of a Rayman loner myself so pocket size will work:-)

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 11:54.
  5. Tomhlord
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Apr 2009

I had no idea it was coming to PS4 until reading this and also so soon! Count me in!

Comment posted on 11/01/2014 at 12:27.
  6. sparkyscrum
    Since: May 2011

Can’t wait to play this on the PS4 even tho I’ve completed on three other consoles.

Its just one hell of a great game that frustrates in a good way.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 16:59.
  7. Cron_13
    Since: Sep 2013

Only recently finished it on the 360 so will be giving this one a miss. Good platformer but no desire to go through it again so soon, also just doesnt come close to New Super Mario Bros U for me.

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 02:07.
  8. KeRaSh

Played throught this as soon as it came out but I think it was a slight step down from Rayman Origins. I have to disagree about the Wii U version being the best one, though. I kept reading those lines until someone mentioned that in the Wii U version you only control Murphy in those stages while Rayman moves on his own. If that is the case then I prefer the PS3 version. I actually prefer to do my platforming myself when playing a platformer. Cut the Rope-like touch gimmicks are just taking away from the experience, which is partly why I prefer Origins. I just thought the level design was much tighter.
    I’ll probably skip this for the PS4 unless it ends up on Plus at some point.

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 07:48.