You

Community Chronicle: 12/01/14

Early milestones.

Not two weeks into 2014 and the machinery of gaming news has already thrown a few treats our way. New games have been announced, others have been teased, and there’s not a single person that isn’t glad to see both console getting of to good starts.

Speaking of which…

Chronicle-hottopics-sticker

This week saw the announcement of the early statistics from both Microsoft and Sony, with the Xbox One hitting global sales of 3 million and the PlayStation 4 shifting 4.2 million units, between launch and the end of the 2013.

TSBonyman said, “3 million units sold is not to be sniffed at. Looks like there won’t be a huge overall difference between sales for XB1 and PS4 – which is great as it means whichever one you choose you should be in good company.”

Of course, that came before seeing Sony’s quite healthy advantage, but it will definitely be interesting to see how things shape up as both companies release in the countries they couldn’t quite get to last year.

Sony also expanded on their future plans for their gaming brand, announcing the PlayStation Now streaming service at CES. Though the initial offering is based around the PS3’s back catalogue, Blair looked at where this might lead down the line.

Beeje13 keeps his level head on, as he too ponders the future of home consoles:

Personally, I can’t see it replacing physical consoles, since the image quality was reported to be noticeably not as good as playing on a native PS3. Scale that up to PS4 quality games, and it’s going to be even harder to be competitive with graphical quality.

Yes, broadband will get faster, but 4K is coming and that will require huge bandwidth to stream. Not to mention input lag, where racing, sports, shooters and any non-turn based multiplayer game will be worse when streamed.

It definitely can be useful in some situation though, and obviously opens up new avenues for playing.

It’s certainly pie in the sky thinking for local consoles to be completely superseded any time soon, but the future of this form of gaming is going to be great to see evolve.

Bunimomike hits the nail on the head, when he says, “The idea of removing the old backward compatibility thorn would be stunning. There’d never be a problem again.”

However, quite fascinatingly, the most controversial news story of the week was that Titanfall is “only” 6 vs 6. This is, of course, boosted by AI of various descriptions, but it was odd to see just how divisive this was and for so many different reasons.

Greg Turner shared his personal experience with the game, at Eurogamer:

When I played this at Eurogamer I flanked around the back of a building and took out a squad of four players – was a great moment but it left me totally deflated when it came up on the killfeed that they were bots and not real human opponents.

I get that this is a personal issue and not the same for everyone but I play online to challenge myself against other people, not AI.

However, I think it’s drdamn who is closest to the reasons behind this limit, when he says, “I guess they want to limit the number of Titans and don’t want to distinguish between players being allowed and not-allowed to have Titans. Number of Titans is the driving factor here – technically or gameplay wise.”

Every human player is regularly handed a titan to pilot, which imposes certain gameplay limits as to how many titans should be in play at any one time to keep things fun and varied for everyone playing.

It will be interesting to see if communicating this mixture of gameplay hinders Titanfall when it hits the shelves.

Chronicle-achievements-sticker

We start off this segment with Youles and Taylor Made, who went on a trophy hunting expedition in FIFA 14, going on an unbeaten run in Seasons and Pro Clubs as a duo in the process. Personally, I’ve always struggled with co-op FIFA when I’ve tried it in the past. Youles then went on to play through the first episodes of both The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us, greatly enjoying both.

Lyts1985 also played TWD Season 2 amidst a busy week of gaming, with Knack on his plate, finishing off all of the legendary ships, naval contracts and so on in Assassin’s Creed 4, and playing Super Mario 3D World ever time his 19 month old son brings him the box. (Which is just about this week’s most adorable story)

R1MJAW also played and finished the main worlds in Super Mario 3D World, while element666 bagged his 95th platinum with Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

Tactical20 finished the main story from Assassin’s Creed 4, though he found it slightly underwhelming. Cron_13 has all of that still ahead of him though, as he returned to AC4 on the PS4, rather than the 360, and is already finding it more enjoyable. He did stick with the 360 to finish off his play through of Rayman Legends.

TSBonyman returned to some slightly older games, and he finished a run through of the two-part Dishonored DLC in the process. Cam_manutd and Crazy_Del went for something practically ancient, both getting the Resistance 2 platinum over half a decade since release!

For the final trophy this week, Del brings us back to where we started, as he earnt himself his 5th PS4 platinum trophy with FIFA 14.

However, I’ll finish this off by mentioning McProley‘s search for fellow TSA members to try and grind through the Tomb Raider online trophies. Sadly, the online servers already seem to be somewhat abandoned, making it quite tricky to do without help. Just head into that forum thread and say hello.

We’re nearly done, but you can head over to page two for the return of the Fastest Platinum boards. To finish off this page, we have the usual submission form for photos and accomplishments.

If people want to keep sending photos in, I’ll be happy to post them, but gaming places is no longer a regular feature. If you fancy it, just use the submission form below, get in touch with me on Twitter at @teflon, or just send me an email out of the blue to teflon@thesixthaxis.com.

Community Chronicle Entry Form
Please submit your entry in the form below.
TSA id: *
Email address: *
Which feature do you wish to submit your entry to? *
Details about your accomplishment or rig? *
If you have a picture then please upload it here.
Read more: # #
  1. Wardy-77-
    Since: Mar 2013

Once again Congratulations to everyone on achieving there achievements ;)

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 13:45.
    • Cron_13
      Since: Sep 2013

Yep +1 ^^ and wow, 95 platinum… many congrats element666 that’s some impressive stuff :)

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:23.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

Cheers guys :-)

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 22:26.
  2. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

I reckon tomb raider will likely come to PS Plus sometime this year, so no doubt the online will have a boost in numbers for those of us who have yet to get the game and want the platinum.

I’ll have to update my PSN card this week and hopefully it will feature at least 1 extra Platinum. I’d like to try for the Star Trek Platinum too if possible. Then again all my talk of platinum trophies this week is crap. Joyous exams are the real main focus for me.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 13:52.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Polygon had a good interview the other day with the lead designer, where they said the 6v6 was purely based upon player feedback, after starting with 12v12. With the 12 humans, there can also be up to 12 AI characters, and everyone can theoretically have a Titan.
    I think it’s become clear that TitanFall won’t be anything like COD or Battlefield – and that’s why I’m super excited for it.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 14:25.
    • Cron_13
      Since: Sep 2013

What format are you going to get it on Gazz? My PC which has had zero gaming love since getting the PS4 is still pretty good spec wise, so I think I should be able to run Titanfall in high to max detail and get a solid FPS…

Part of me still wants to get myself a XBOX One though, mainly because one of my best mates got one and it’d be fun for coop – I’ve got the money sitting there waiting but haven’t taken the leap so far :/

Just don’t know what else really appeals to me on the XBOX one that I can’t get on the PS4 APART from Titanfall.

I’ve read a lot up on it after being initially disappointed that it was only going to be 6v6 and I’m coming around to their way of thinking… time will tell.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:29.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

I’ll be getting it on PC, although I’m not sure when. It depends when I end up finally getting a PS4 really, and how much money I’ll have left over from that.
        What specs do you have? I reckon my AMD 7850 will need upgrading within the next year, and that may possibly push back my PS4 purchase even more! I think choosing which platform to get Watch Dogs on will be the deciding factor, the PS4 has no exclusives that grab me so far.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 17:43.
      • Cron_13
        Since: Sep 2013

Mines an i5 3570k clocked to 4.2 (I think!), 8GB RAM, 6970 ATi gfx and SSD (128GB + a 1TB HDD). As you mentioned with your setup its my gfx card that let’s it down, but I’ve got to think it’ll run titanfall at high? Maybe not though I’m quite out of the loop with pc gaming now!

Its a glorified DVD/CD writer these days since I gave up on World of Warcraft and sold my account.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 18:06.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

I reckon I should be able to run it medium-high, depending on what other settings I have. And hopefully Respawn will get into bed with AMD to offer even better optimisation, and I find the Catalyst Application Profiles can sometimes make a huge difference to performance.

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 00:05.
  4. Crazy_Del

Cheers for the mention Tef, Resistance co op is still a fun game shame to see it go :(
    @Avenger – When we start Star Trek co-op, you will get the Platinum, ’cause you are playing co-op with me man :P
    Now get back to study for your joyous exams!

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 14:33.
  5. tactical20

To clarify, I only found the last mission of AC4 underwhelming. The rest of it was brilliant!

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 14:44.
  6. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Thanks for the mention and the plug tef, hopefully I can get those last 2 Tomb Raider trophy fairly sharpish now.

Congrats to everyone on their recent acheivements :)

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 12:16.