Socially-Driven Interface Prototype Hints At Driveclub's Cars And Modes

You blocked me on Driveclub, and now...

A designer at Evolution Studios has posted a video showreel, which features a glimpse into a possible socially-orientated user interface for Driveclub at the 1:25 minute mark.

Some cunning NeoGAF users have picked the few seconds of video apart to find out more information about Driveclub, which we really haven’t heard enough of since the initial delay from a PS4 launch title to at some point this year. It suggests that the Lamborghini Aventador will feature in the game, alongside a 599 series Ferrari, suggesting that they’re going after big-name manufacturers to license their cars for the game.

Furthermore, if this UI is anything resembling the final Driveclub interface, then it looks quite good (if a bit similar to current trends found in FIFA 14 and Assassin’s Creed IV), and suggests the game will have a heavy focus on social interaction.

That could mean a dedicated photo mode, rather than using the Share button, allowing the game to become its own social networking platform, with like, following and friend systems present, complete with a notifications option, as well as the eponymous club features.

There’s also hints of an XP system alongside in-game currency, which seems pretty standard, as well as the option to watch replays or view friends’ stats.

It’s definitely a solid basis for a UI, and whether it has been developed further or scrapped, allowing the designer to use it in his showreel is yet to be seen. There’s no confirmation that everything present is correct and in the final game, but it’s likely they will be if featured here.

1. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

You’re right, we haven’t heard enough for a game rumoured to be launching in 6 weeks or so. I hope there’s an option to play against AI, I just want to race magnificent cars without having to worry about being crashed into at every corner!

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:18.
    • Sad Panda

I agree entirely. There needs to be a single player mode in this game. Yes have the social network crap in there, for those who want to share the weight of their last bowel movement and compare it with their friends.

I too just want to drive around in the exotic cars I’ll never be able to afford, admire the graphics and occasionally take in a race or two.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:31.
      • StartWars
        Since: Jan 2014

There is a single player mode called DriveClub Tour.

More info: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/DriveClub-Interview-part-one-Connecting-the-community

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 18:06.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

Yes! thanks for that link! Also its refreshing to see that apprently they aren’t pushing online multiplayer paticularly aswell, you gain ‘fame’ for your club by doing any of driveclubs game modes.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 19:59.
      • stonyk

Might be a silly question but if you know you were burgled because of someone on your facebook seeing you had a PS3 then surely you can report the person to the police? Its unlucky to have a ‘friend’ like that on facebook but once you defriend them surely you can’t have 2 of them like that?

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 13:52.
  2. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I hope there’s lots of Ferraris and Lambos. The new baby Lambo, Huracán, should ve of particular interest, as it can be used for marketing, seeing how it’s not yet in any other games.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:19.
  3. Cron_13
    Since: Sep 2013

Hope they can deliver on this game after they’ve had an extra 3 months of development. Nothing to lose though with it coming to Plus first though so looking forward to trying it :)

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:31.
  4. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

This game is going to have to go a long way if it wants to beat Forza 5 if it wants to be best racer on new gen. I don’t want everybody on Facebook to know I have Ps4 because of Ps3 theft early in its cycle . So keeping away from that social inclusion.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 15:43.
    • ringten
      Since: Mar 2012

irrational fear?

anyway, personally this game has got me really excited. I have never loved the racing genre a lot, but I have been looking forward to this game. I have never liked GT5 or Forza for that matter, this game just seems to offer something new that no other game has. It looks like a sim ( i know it controls a bit arcadey), but also a joy to play, something most race games fail at. Most of them are way too competitively focused on reaching the finish line first. This game gives you many opportunities to brag (drifting, top speed, etc), and I see myself enjoying this friendly competition.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 21:53.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

Not really irrational fear but it was somebody who knew me through Fb because they only took my Ps3 and Rockband stuff Hours after somebody posted something about it on Fb Hours after I was burgled. The said people stole it when they knew I was out via Fb. So I’m quit insecure about it so…

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 23:15.
  5. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Really looking forward to this title!

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 16:30.
  6. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Hold on wait a dam sec thought this is how Lamborghini is spelt? Not being a spelling freak but have I been spelling it wrong all my life

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 18:11.
    • Loxstokk
      Since: Aug 2010

You’re right – Blair’s made a typo

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 19:11.
      • Blair Inglis
        hisnameisblair

I’m rubbish with cars :(

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 22:02.
  7. Basketballgaz
    Since: Jul 2013

Looking great, need a new retail game for the PS4.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 18:48.
  8. cam the man

Can’t wait for this but we may have to for a bit longer, looking on ShopTo last week I noticed that the release date has been pushed back until end of April. I know they don’t know the release date but there must be a reason why they’ve put it back a month.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 22:21.
  9. tactical20

Think The Crew looks infinitely better. That’ll be the first driving game I get on PS4.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 22:47.
    • ringten
      Since: Mar 2012

I find the crew overwhelming big, and getting old real quick. But that’s just me….

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 22:56.
    • cam the man

Looking forward to The Crew as well as DC. Although they sound similar I think there’s enough difference to warrant getting both of them.

Comment posted on 12/01/2014 at 23:50.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

I just remember how compulsive Motorstorm RC is and think Drive Club is a bigger, better version of that.

Excited

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 00:28.
      • freezebug2

Bigger and better than Motorstorm Remote Control cars….pensioners shopping Hot Rods?
        Seriously though I think it’s been held back for slight improvements but mainly for release timing reasons and should be a great game.

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 10:46.
    • KeRaSh

Content wise I don’t think they are comparable, since DC lets you race on predefined courses while The Crew is an open world playground. Graphically I’d say DC takes the crown, though.

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 07:30.
  10. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

Looking forward to this but not sure I’ll really get to play enough and at regular times to become a member of a club, so A single player mode will be very welcome for me

Comment posted on 13/01/2014 at 10:17.