The PS4 Releases In Japan Today, Watch The Launch Stream Here

Countdown!

In about an hour’s time, the PS4 will finally launch in Japan. Although we’ve had the system for three months, and 5.3 million of them have been sold worldwide, Japan is arguably Sony’s biggest market, and we can expect to see even bigger figures over the next few weeks and month.

So, why not celebrate by watching lots of people getting very excited about something you’ve had sitting under your TV for months? It’s the only logical thing to do, particularly if you’re trying to pass those last few long work hours on this Friday afternoon. It’s almost the weekend, after all.

They’re currently playing some video games, naturally. I’m not quite sure who they are but they all seem extremely happy and like they’re having a good time.

And just for fun, have a guess at the launch day sales in the comments while you watch.

1. ArrebatoTarugo
    Since: Jul 2013

How many PS4 will be sold in Japan at launch?

(Background data: 81,639 PS3 where sold in Japan at launch in 24h)

I am going for 250.000 PS4 at launch.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 14:18.
    • bunimomike

Good guess, I reckon. They shifted 600,000 PS2s so somewhere between both figures feels right.

Also, Japan’s been very difficult to get a handle on when it comes to home consoles. The market has genuinely shifted and I’m interested to see how this affects the PS4. I don’t doubt it’ll sell well, relatively, but regionally… not so sure.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 14:38.
  2. TSBonyman

Figures should be good, apparently all pre-orders were sold out in a few minutes. Just depends now on how many units Sony can have available. I’m guessing they’ll do half a million easily.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 14:35.
    • bunimomike

Revising my guess too. Read about the strength of the pre-orders as well as what stock Sony might be able to sort out. I’ll plump for 500,000 as well – just so we can be best buddies for the day (or until someone else makes an even better point and I slut my way off to their comment). ;-)

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:02.
      • TSBonyman

I’m going to revise mine to 495,000 – just to throw you off ;)

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:12.
      • Phizzy
        Since: Jun 2010

What does ‘slut my way off’ mean?

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:15.
      • bunimomike

I will promiscuously leap from more-informed-comment to more-informed-comment. I thought I’d reduce it to “slut my way off”. :-) However, as I was talking from my arse, it can mean whatever you fancy too.

I’m only here until visiting hours finish. :-P

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:21.
      • ABlokeCalledDaz

500,001 just to be cheeky.

How many in the first week though?

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:36.
      • englishgolfer
        Since: Sep 2009

500,001? You Arsene Wenger??

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 23:27.
  3. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

I’m gonna call it. Just shy of a million! I bet they go crazy for it as we all have :-)

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 15:28.
    • camdaz

As many as Sony can get into the shops they will sell, so I’ll say just over a million (hope the factories have been working hard)as they will want to give the Japanese something to saviour i.e. biggest launch sales ever.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 16:30.
  4. blast71
    Since: May 2012

Twelvty

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 16:52.
  5. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

A million sold I reckon.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 16:54.
  6. ABlokeCalledDaz

Does this mean it’ll be a nightmare getting into PSN tonight or will they use different servers for Japan?

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 17:21.
  7. SLUMMO316
    Banned
    Since: Aug 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 18:04.
    • Dazbobaby
      Since: Aug 2010

Because Japan is home territory and is considered safe, and Sony wanted their console out and in our hands to negate any Xbone sales.

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 21:23.
      • lambchop
        Since: Aug 2013

And that strategy worked a right treat :o)

Comment posted on 22/02/2014 at 08:48.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Because XBox sales numbers over there were so miserably low that even MS just gave up at one point. As there was no threat really, that was a the logical move for Sony, but harsh for the Japanese, of course.

Always loved my time over there, so I say: Welcome, Japan..!

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 21:46.
    • Scythegpd
      Since: Jul 2010

I know you’re eager to undermine Sony at every opportunity but it’s a fairly basic market strategy.
      The only geography the XB original sold really well in was the US. The only geographies the 360 sold really well in was the US and the UK. The one geography both consoles gained next to no traction in was Japan.
      So it made sense for Sony to prioritise the areas where they were more likely to “lose”, being the US and the UK, before moving onto the sure-bet area of Japan. Sucks to be Japanese and having to wait, however considering you’re not Japanese, and have claimed previously that you don’t have a PS4 anyway, it doesn’t impact you. Well apart from another attempt to have a pop at Sony.
      But when you actually think about it it’s not a very difficult strategy to figure out …

Comment posted on 21/02/2014 at 22:54.
      • SLUMMO316
        Banned
        Since: Aug 2013

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 22/02/2014 at 19:27.