Optional PS4 Firmware 1.62 Is Now Live, Does Very Little

The one where TC attempts to fill space.

The next time you turn on your PlayStation 4 you can download the latest firmware update, release 1.62. “Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved,” is the only patch notes.

That’s it. No further information. Chris Owen, English Community Manager at PlayStation Europe, was asked if he had any further details and tweeted “Unfortunately I cannot disclose the intricacies of this firmware update.”

So then, that’s that, but it does leave me with a huge amount of white space to fill so let me tell you about my robot vacuum cleaner – it’s brilliant!  I’ve had to rearrange my living room a bit to remove cables from the floor but now I just press the button on Rumble (that’s what I’ve called it) and he zooms around hoovering while I am at work.

Admittedly he does get a bit stuck when trying to go in to the kitchen and I can no longer hang my clothes where men usually hang them (on the floor) but apart from that, probably the best thing I have bought in ages and dirt cheap as well, under a £100 from B&Q.

Anyway, go download the PS4 firmware update, I bet that doesn’t clean you floor.

Source: Twitter

1. Darksidesystems
    Since: Aug 2010

Maybe it makes Dead Nation actually play online without crashing?!
    The patch, not your new vacuum cleaner.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 12:42.
    • X1BALBAABLAB1X
      Since: Jun 2013

I played through the campaign last night, online, and it seemed fine. Did get disconnected once from my co-op partner, but that was about it. Was the only time I’ve played online, mind.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 14:40.
  2. dizwod

A fix for me not being able to watch half my blu ray films?

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 12:44.
  3. DJ Judas
    Epic

I’m genuinely interested in the vacuum. Been looking at these for a while, and this is reasonably priced. How well does it work in carpet? what’s the battery like on it?

Regarding the ps4 firmware, it’ll be nice when we finally get some feature adding/refining. Now that I’m used to the OS, it needs a lot of work.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 12:47.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Only works on short pile carpet, tbh best suited for wooden floors.But on them, works like a dream. It’s not as fancy as the £600 models – no timeror dock – but you just need to tap it on before you leave the house and it will whiz round for an hour.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:33.
      • sparkyscrum
        Since: May 2011

Handy as my flat is all wooden floors.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:39.
  4. Geeby
    Since: Feb 2014

Wahoo robot hoovers!!

I myself will be receiving a Dyson Animal shortly from the other half’s mother for a house warming present. Sadly though it’s much more of a manual hoover.. Boooo.

(Apologies for making this a vacuum orientated comments section by the way.. Figured I’d keep the topic relevant) :D

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 12:47.
  5. Stefan L
    Community Team

I’m quite disappointed with the lack of progress with the PS4’s firmware. Since launch, there has just been the single addition of compatibility for Sony’s own headsets.

In the meantime, Microsoft have made large strides to improve their own software and fixing those obvious things that were wrong or problematic beforehand. It has even ended up with a Twitch app that seems to be better than the integration on the PS4 in several simple but important ways.

Sony need to get their act together, and soon.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 12:54.
    • homerjnick
      Since: Jun 2010

To be fair the way Sony works with Firmware is to release a big one nearly every quarter so expect one around about May and no doubt it will have more features than “system stability”…

That seems to be the way they worked with the PS3…

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:11.
    • camdaz

I wish Sony would hurry up with the ‘suspend mode’, one of the features I was most looking forward to.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:17.
    • Eldaveo
      Since: Oct 2013

In Sony’s defence, their UI/firmware is actually pretty good, whereas Microsoft’s was terrible on launch day. Its not so bad now since the March update, but I still prefer the PS4’s simplistic UI.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:22.
      • yiddo
        Since: Jun 2010

This. The X1 OS was way more of a mess at release, so of course they’d scramble trying to fix it asap. It was missing some pretty major, basic functions. The PS4 on the other hand, launched with a reasonably decent OS that is missing a few things in comparison.

Comment posted on 19/03/2014 at 03:14.
  6. Jimster71

Hope you don’t have a dog.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:15.
    • Darksidesystems
      Since: Aug 2010

Grim!

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 15:40.
  7. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Surely the obvious name would have been Henry?

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:33.
  8. tactical20

I hate the PS4 UI. Not only does it seriously lack any functionality, but it’s also now gone super slow. I can’t download this update either. It’s almost as if my Internet is shit, but it’s not. It’s fine on everything else (macbook, iphone, etc..)

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 13:37.
    • a inferior race
      I'm special

Could be your router. Mine is great for everything except laptops.

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 14:26.
  9. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

336 MB of nothing? Very suspicious…

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 14:29.
    • Tedbaker
      Since: Mar 2014

Full system image, not a patch. My developer mate for a UK Sony game studio tells me that currently the incremental system firmware patching system is being tested by Sony studios, and some fixes are in 1.62 so that future firmwares can be patched rather than complete binary system partition images.

Comment posted on 19/03/2014 at 11:16.
  10. Bilbo_bobbins

will we be getting a full review of the hoover please?

Comment posted on 18/03/2014 at 16:53.