Bungie Influenced The Design Of The PlayStation 4

"We have to make some inroads with Sony fans"

It appears the love in between Bungie and Sony has been going on for a lot longer than anyone had realised and, much like the Sony first party studios, helped influenced the PlayStation 4’s design.

“They worked with us, of course, on core systems and the controller itself – making it better for shooters, helping improve that for players, helping include and improve the social aspects of the game,”  said Bungie Head of Community, Eric Osborne.

One of the reasons given for the partnership is that Bungie were aware that the many years of exclusivity to Xbox may have alienated PlayStation fans.

“We’re building on all four platforms that we’ve announced. We have to make sure that [Destiny] is amazing everywhere, especially as a new IP. We have to earn all these fans,” Osborne said. “But specifically with Sony we have some work to do in terms of awareness and getting people excited about a Bungie game.”

“Sony’s been a really good partner all the way back to the beginning when we were first talking next-gen, and when we first started building Destiny,” added Osborne. “We really didn’t know where anybody was going, but it became really clear talking with Sony at the outset that their vision really aligned with where we wanted to go.”

It’s interesting that Bungie helped design the PS4 because one of the main requests from testers in the Alpha is the ability to use the touchpad to control the cursor in the menus. If they knew about the touchpad so far in advance, one has to wonder why they are not using it?

Source: Techradar

Read more: # #
  1. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

So can we blame them for those horrible stiff sticks the DS4 has? Or the fact that pushing them in (the L3/R3 thing) is close to impossible? All the buttons are a bit too stiff and clicky for my liking, really, but it’s the stiffness of the sticks that makes it hard to play with for too long.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 22:46.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

I think the sticks are a big step up and the stiffness is a hell of a lot better than the super slack ds3 ones especially for shooters or those precision moments.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 22:55.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

I’m obviously weird then.

For me, that stiffness makes it harder to control. You’ve got to push harder to get it to go where you want it to. And then you go to far.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:04.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Lol your obviously to used to the ones on ds3 where you just touch it and it smashes into the surrounding circle a bit of wind is enough to move them lol,that was the one thing i always thought 360 had over PS3 better analogue sticks and the one thing i hoped would be revised when it came to PS4 and i got my wish,I’m sure in time you’ll get the hang of them all they’ll slacken off although mine haven’t really.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:16.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

That last comment by MrYd… :-P

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:43.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Ohhhh Matron!

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:58.
  2. Tony Cawley
    Pint! Pint!

I really don’t want to use the touch pad to control the cursor. I don’t want to ever use the touch pad for anything precise. Swipe in a direction, fine. Press it, fine. Precise movements, no.
    So bungie are to blame for the awful design of the ds4 then? Clearly they’re not, but possibly partly. We were chatting on Twitter the other night and we came up with the following deficiencies with the dual shock 4:
    1 degrading rubber on analogue sticks.
    2 triggers that stick
    3 the casing squeaks when held tightly
    4 the light bar that nobody wants or uses
    Quite a lot of issues for a £50 product!

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 22:49.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Your first 2 points there are something that might possibly be an issue for a small number of DS4s. (Which can obviously be multiplied by about a billion percent when reading about it online, because that’s how the internet works ;)

The squeaking is nowhere near as bad as the noises the PS3 controllers make. Although we’ll have to see what happens in a year or so. I’d make some pretty weird noises if I was abused daily by my big hands for a couple of years. (That didn’t sound as bad in my head)

And I like the light bar. In theory. In practice, it’s only of any use if you turn all the lights off and stare directly into it. Which effectively means it’s a bit shit, really.

The stiffness of everything is the main problem for me. But I’ve only been at it for 6 months, so maybe it’ll all loosen up in time.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:00.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

I have two ds4’s since launch and haven’t got any of those issues no wear an tear at all,the only thing that has any signs of wear an tear is the barcode on the bottom of the controllers,for me they’ve been a really solid well built piece of kit for me and i’ve certainly given them some hammer(play time) :D

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:02.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

At least that’s something the DS3 and 4 have in common. Barcodes that self destruct after some time.

It’s still there on my DS4, but the DS3s just have a silver rectangle where it used to be.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:06.
      • Lyts1985
        Since: Jan 2009

Interesting. The rubber is definitely wearing on the left stick on my controller and is completely smooth now, unlike the textured right stick… The barcode, on the other hand, has surprised me in that it literally looks new – unlike the one on my DS3. I expected the barcode to be gone within a matter if weeks!

Not that I give two hoots about a barcode sticker. The worn stick is my main gripe… I’ll replace it myself before long. Can’t be arsed with the warranty lark.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:46.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

Have you tried to play Warthunder with the touchpad? That sold me on it being rather useful when used properly. But other than that it’s just there as a legacy of the OUYA.

Comment posted on 19/06/2014 at 23:46.
    • TSBonyman

Two DS4s here and I haven’t had any of those issues. My main gripe is with the battery life, (hence the two DS4s).
      Completely agreed on the touchpad usage though, just played the Thief demo on PS4 and using the touchpad to access weapons was a right pain if you needed to react quickly to a situation.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 09:29.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

1. I haven’t got any problem with mine doing it, I know others are though
      2. Mine did stick, but seemed to unstick themselves after a fair bit of use
      3. Yes it does, but mine did that on the DS3
      4. Yeah its pretty pointless in my opinion.

Advantages are:
      1. Better ergonomically designed, so much nicer to hold
      2. Better triggers and easier to use
      3. Nicer feel/grip to the controller, doesn’t slip when used alot
      4. Sticks feel much nicer and easier to control
      5. Stick design much better with the indent in the top
      5. Touch Pad is a good choice and could possibly be used for a lot more stuff in future games.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 09:57.
  3. a inferior race
    I'm special

My problem with the touchpad is that if I have to move my hand to use it instead of just moving my thumbs or fingers which renders it useless in reaction circumstances.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 08:06.
  4. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

Yep, and Guerilla, Naughty dog at least, probably more big developers like DICE.

Their reasoning for partnering with PS does make sense and I’d not considered it before now, I just thought that they wanted to get one over Microsoft for not letting them do something like Destiny on 360 and having to make a couple of halo spinoffs.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 10:30.
    • Forrest_01

Sucker Punch had a say in the design of the hardware too – Second Son was apparently developed with changes in mind that they put into the final design.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 11:46.
  5. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

You can tell they had alot of input from some top notch studios. The controller is undoubtedly the best there is on the market. Feels really good on every genre of games to be honest, and has some quite neat and new features.

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 12:54.
  6. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Nice to hear. Got to admit so far as I’m concerned the Dual Shock has simply gone from strength to strength.

Greatest pads ever are:

1. DualShock (all kindzzzzz)
    2. GameCube Controller
    3. The legendary SNES pad

:-)

Comment posted on 20/06/2014 at 20:25.