The DualShock 4 Can Now Be Used Wirelessly On PS3

One small step.

Update: I’ve made a video to show how it’s done.

The PS4’s controller has been compatible with the PS3 since launch, though only if it was connected through a USB wire. However it now appears one of the recent updates allows for you to connect the controller and use it wirelessly. I just came across a tip on Reddit now, and had to try it out for myself, though the console doesn’t actually recognise the controller as an official Sony one. The step by step guide is as follows.

1. Connect DS4 with wire to PS3 then turn on.
  2. Go to Accessory settings.
  3. Select Manage Bluetooth Devices, and start  scanning for device.
  4. Unplug DS4
  5. While scanning hold the PS & Share buttons on the DS4.
  6. When the light flashes quickly on DS4 plug back in and select Wireless Controller.
  7. Let registration complete and then unplug.

This isn’t full recognition and as a result things like the PS button, as well as the vibrate and Sixaxis functions won’t work. But at least there is some support now.

Source: Reddit

1. Spence1115

GOD I wish Sony would give the Dualshock4 full support on the PS3. Its not like it’d be that difficult for them, nor would it really harm their sales.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:15.
    • Matthijs

Maybe it is difficult or they’d have full support by now. I’m just glad I can cut the cord now. I’m with you all the way on the sales end. I know quite a few that have a backlog on ps3 before they’ll switch to ps4 and prefer the ds4! and thus would buy one.
      Fingers crossed for full support in the near future.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:46.
    • LKJHGFDSA
      Since: Jul 2014

even if they had a driver for the DS4 for the PS3 it still wouldn’t have pressure sensitive face buttons, though I agree it would be nice if they did.

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 00:24.
      • Matthijs

I cometely forgot about those pressure sensitive buttons. Did any game (after the first batch) ever really use that feature? Cant think of any thong other than a race game

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 07:10.
      • Matthijs

Completely (Thank you iphone for messing that one up)

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 07:11.
  2. Jambo4170
    Since: Jul 2014

I plugged the ps4 controller in to play payday2 and was blown away by the difference. I always found the controls awful but loved it with the ds4

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:24.
  3. camdaz

Is the DS4 compatible with a PC? It was a bit of a hassle getting the DS3 to work using BtSix or MotionJoy.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:30.
    • Spence1115

Kind of, but you still need to install software to trick it into thinking its an Xbox 360 controller to get it to work properly.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:31.
    • Jim Hargreaves

Can’t remember the name of the custom driver but I use mine with PC to play Titanfall regularly. Works perfectly!

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:33.
    • bunimomike

I use MotionInJoy but Tef uses something else. I’m on the DS3 and he’s on the DS4 controller with whatever game we’re bashing on co-op on the PC.

Sadly, it’s still “must pretend it’s an Xbox controller” but usually no hassle. The nice thing would be for the PC gaming world to realise how many of us want to use DS3/4 controllers and for them to be natively supported in the near future.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:39.
      • camdaz

Cheers all.
        When finding out how to use DS4/DS3 on PC there were loads more folk than I thought doing so.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 16:26.
  4. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

This is great tip guys :D Thanks!

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:33.
  5. Jim Hargreaves

The lack of functions is a bit annoying though the wireless thing is another small step.

Played through The Last Of Us again with the DS4 and felt much better. With that said, the lack of vibration is noticeable and without SixAxis there is no way to recharge Joel’s torch when it runs dry.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 15:34.
  6. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Now, why can’t we do it the other way around and use the DS3 on the PS4? Obviously not going to work for anything where the extra DS4 features are absolutely vital, but that so far includes, erm, nothing? Maybe slightly less?

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:06.
  7. Kovacs

As someone who prefers the DS3 over the DS4 (come at me, bro) I’d love to be able to use that on PS4.

(I know this will NEVER happen.)

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:29.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Yay! There _IS_ another like me. I think I want to have your children. (Ok, probably not)

The DS3 is just so much better than the DS4, apart from not having all those extra features that aren’t really necessary. Those sticks! And the whole thing is a bit big. Too big and stiff to play with for long without getting uncomfortable.

I guess if they didn’t have those extra bits, they’d find it hard to justify not supporting the DS3 on the PS4 and they’d lose lots of money selling expensive controllers. So yeah, it’s never going to happen.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:38.
  8. Forrest_01

Nice to have extra features I suppose, but I am not entirely sure I get why you would want or need to use your DS4 with your PS3 (especially with cut down features)?

Surely if you have a PS3 you likely have a DS3 knocking about somewhere?

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:45.
    • R1MJAW

A few reasons I can think of … extra controllers for local multiplayer, stiffer analog sticks, better triggers.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 17:52.
      • Forrest_01

In my mind, it just seems like its gonna wear out the rubber on the left analogue stick a whole lot quicker!

The better triggers thing is a fair shout though.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 18:07.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Good points, but I think DS3 compatibility on the PS4 would be a lot more useful than this. Granted, many games wouldn’t use it, but it would save us a small fortune when getting friends round for Fifa.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 20:59.
    • honkyjesus
      Since: Mar 2011

Any 360 player will like the DS4 more.

Any 360 and PS3 player also probably will.

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 01:27.
  9. kidhero99
    Since: Jul 2014

This shit doesn’t work at all.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 18:14.
    • Jakster123x
      Since: Aug 2011

It doesn’t work for me either. Maybe it doesn’t work on the older PlayStations? I don’t know. Bit annoying though.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 18:20.
      • kidhero99
        Since: Jul 2014

Well I got one of the 40gigs. So it is likely then.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 18:25.
      • honkyjesus
        Since: Mar 2011

It doesn’t work on Dark Souls 2 for me, which works wired with DS4. I have a 120GB model from 2009.

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 01:24.
      • kidhero99
        Since: Jul 2014

whateves

Comment posted on 02/07/2014 at 16:39.
  10. TSBonyman

That’s neat, i do find the DS3 less pleasant to use when i switch from PS4 to PS3 so i’ll give this a go.

Comment posted on 01/07/2014 at 20:10.