Update: I’ve made a video to show how it’s done.
The PS4’s controller has been compatible with the PS3 since launch, though only if it was connected through a USB wire. However it now appears one of the recent updates allows for you to connect the controller and use it wirelessly. I just came across a tip on Reddit now, and had to try it out for myself, though the console doesn’t actually recognise the controller as an official Sony one. The step by step guide is as follows.
- Connect DS4 with wire to PS3 then turn on.
- Go to Accessory settings.
- Select Manage Bluetooth Devices, and start scanning for device.
- Unplug DS4
- While scanning hold the PS & Share buttons on the DS4.
- When the light flashes quickly on DS4 plug back in and select Wireless Controller.
- Let registration complete and then unplug.
This isn’t full recognition and as a result things like the PS button, as well as the vibrate and Sixaxis functions won’t work. But at least there is some support now.