Opinion

Merry Christmas, Everyone

Hug!

At the risk of starting on a controversial note: I don’t think Christmas is a Christian holiday any more. I don’t think, for most of the people who celebrate it, it has anything to do with the birth of Jesus or the conviction that he would go on to become the saviour of all who believe in him. That’s not to say that I think those of you who do celebrate those things at this time of year should stop or that you are in any way incorrect to do so. It’s just that I think the midwinter festival has, as it has for millennia, once again evolved into something that reflects our modern lives, something that can equally be celebrated by all, regardless of your faith or lack thereof.

The cynical among you probably think I mean the celebration of rampant capitalism and the gluttony that our seemingly unbridled commercialism encourages. While that is certainly something to keep in mind (and be mindful of) at this time of year, I prefer to focus on another aspect of the holiday. An aspect which is important to those who still adhere to the baby-in-a-stable meaning behind the holiday but should equally be important to those of us who prefer to think that Jesus was simply a nice guy with a good point.

For me, Christmas is about compassion. It’s about spending time with your family and friends. It’s about taking time to share in their experiences, celebrate their triumphs and commiserate their failures. It’s about being together.

The simple Christmas tradition of swapping gifts is a powerful way to symbolise this connection we have with the people around us. It’s not about getting the latest gadget or game, it’s about knowing the person you’re giving to, showing them that you care and it’s about appreciating that someone cares enough about you to want to show it. There’s an immense inherent power in the simple act of demonstrating to someone that they’re loved and Christmas is a great excuse to take a moment and do that. It’s an idea that I think Jesus would have been on board with but equally, it’s an idea that I think any compassionate individual can see the beauty of.

There’s a lot of heartbreak and disappointment in the world. There are a lot of things to fear and distrust and there are plenty of opportunities to feel disconnected and unhappy in our lives. Christmastime gives us a chance to remind each other that regardless of all the bad in the world, there are people who care about us and places where we can feel that we belong. Christmas gives us a great opportunity to reset our weariness and cynicism, replacing it with hope and renewed vigour for the challenges we might face in the year ahead. It also allows us to show our families and friends that we are there with them, sharing that journey through life and caring for them when they might need it the most.

With that in mind, I’d like to take this opportunity, on behalf of everyone behind the scenes at TSA, to wish you, your families and friends a very merry Christmas from all of us.

1. Kamokazi-UK
    Since: Sep 2009

Happy Turkey and Booze day! TSA.

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 04:09.
  2. Flightx

Why am I up at this time? Oh yeah I have kids with presents to open and make. Merry Christmas guys

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 04:37.
  3. sarah0
    Since: Dec 2014

!!! I Sarah Post This Testimony Coz My Husband Is Back Thanks To Dr.Ukaka

I have never seen myself shed tears for anything before, but this very day that my lover left the house with annoyances after we had some fight about him always coming home late i cried the whole day, But after so many days of loneliness i decided to look for solution to my relationship and answer came to me when i saw Dr.Ukaka details on the internet and i read a lot of reviews about him and i decided to give him a call and through the help of Dr.Ukaka my lover came back to me within 48 hours and since then he has never come home late, So you can see how powerful and useful Dr.Ukaka is to the whole world that is why i am going to be putting Dr.Ukaka contact details right now for the sake of those people that will need his help contact Dr.Ukaka via mobile +2348133873774 or you write him via email at freedomlovespell@hotmail.com also contact him for help.website address: freedomlovespelltemple.yolasite.com

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 05:23.
    • pitbullmern

Lol just Google that number and it’s also used in an ad for and I quote “ARE YOU IN NEED OF A RICH WEALTHY SUGAR MUMMY/SUGAR DADDY/GAY AND LESBIAN PARTNER ANYWHERE IN NIGERIA,UK, USA, ASIA,SOUTH AFRICA,MALAYSIA, ZIMBABWE,GHANA AND IVORY COAST,THEN CONTACT GLOBAL MATCH CONNECT INTL ORGANIZATION DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR ON NIGERIAN AGENT MR KEN. the caps are used in the ad I just copied and pasted. Can we get rid of this spam please.

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:12.
    • pdannysan13
      Since: Mar 2013

Dr. u + kaka.
      :))

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:54.
    • JoeBoi
      Since: Mar 2012

Dr Upthekaka

Merry Christmas all.

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 09:31.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

Usually, it’s turkey we have on christmas day not spam. Did someone change the rules of christmas dinner? If so, i didn’t get the memo.

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 13:29.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

UVAVU!

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 19:42.
  4. psychobudgie

Happy stay sober long enough to cook dinner day!!!

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 06:56.
  5. hornet1990
    Since: Mar 2011

Well said Peter! Have a great day everyone, whatever you’re up to. I know my day will be largely spent building my nephews lego with him! :-D

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 07:28.
  6. CharlseY
    Since: Mar 2012

Merry Christmas everyone !

And love it how someone takes the time to join as a member this morning and advertise Mr ukakka kahdbrjsk. Will look him up ……

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 07:39.
  7. pitbullmern

Merry Christmas to all. Have a great day

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:13.
  8. Michael
    Team TSA: Development

Happy Christmas all, and all the best for 2015!

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:19.
  9. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

Happy Christmas everyone :-) x

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:20.
  10. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Merry Christmas everybody :-)

Comment posted on 25/12/2014 at 08:27.