EVE: Valkyrie Confirmed As a Project Morpheus Launch Title

Now officially excited about Project Morpheus!

Ladies and gentlemen we have our first Project Morpheus launch title and it is EVE: Valkyrie, a new addition to the EVE universe that also includes PS3 shooter Dust 541.

The game is a dogfighting simulator and who better to star in the game than Starbuck, a.k.a. Battlestar Galactica’s Katee Sackhoff. The title was also confirmed as a launch game for Oculus Rift but as that hardware does not have a release date it’s likely the game will hit PlayStation 4 first, sometime during the first half of 2016.

CCP also announced that PlayStation 3 exclusive Dust 514 is now a “profitable business” and they will continue to support the game.

“I’m rather inspired how much [the Dust team] has been able to do by really focusing on the right things, and the game is in a much better state now than it has been, frankly, ever,” CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson told Polygon. “And that’s kind of amazing this late in the cycle of the PlayStation 3. I’m a little surprised and inspired where the game is, to be honest.”

Admitting CCP “didn’t make a great game to begin with,” Pétursson said the game is capturing thousands of new players each week.”Eight updates, super talented, and motivated and focused team, and the fact that we sit here a year later and the game is profitable”, he added.

Source: VR Focus / Polygon

1. Lieutenant Fatman
    Since: Jul 2013

Looks great, a few more launch titles as impressive as this and it will hard to say no.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 10:44.
  2. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Looks good to me. I’ve had no interest in this before until now.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 10:54.
  3. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Looks great. I can’t quite see how, if at all, it ties in with EVE Online. Unless it’s an entirely separate entity with its own campaign. That would be fantastic.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 10:56.
  4. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Am I the only one that thinks it looks totally unrealistic? Who moves their head at that speed? Especially if you’re in an environment with so much to see? It just doesn’t sit well with me for some reason.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 11:02.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

“Especially if you’re in an environment with so much to see?” More the reason to turn your head and look around.

One of the reasons I don’t play many games like this is in first person view is because I can’t look around and see what the hell’s going on around me. This seems ideal.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 11:50.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Oh no I get that. But with an environment like that, you would be snapping your neck back and forward. That’s why this video seems unrealistic. No way would you just be slowly looking about. It makes me question how the game will handle such quick movements.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 13:16.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

Surely inertial dampers offset fast movements. Hypothetically speaking.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 14:05.
  5. TURRICAN-808
    Since: Jan 2011

Looking forward to morpheus. Will it cost £1000 though?

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 12:16.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

I’m hoping it won’t be more than the console itself but who knows.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 12:23.
    • RudeAwakening
      Since: Jan 2011

Sony themselves said it will not cost more than the PS4. Hopefully it stays that way.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 19:05.
    • NotSmartEnough
      Since: Sep 2013

No. There would be no point launching it.

My guess is £250. Everything except the OLED screens is pretty off-the-shelf kit. Bundle with the camera, a move controller and a game for £300.

Comment posted on 23/03/2015 at 23:18.