Sony: No More AAA First Party Games For PS Vita

PS4 success has doomed the Vita

Sony’s Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida has said that no Sony first party studios working on games for the PS Vita, crushing hopes for a new Killzone or Uncharted.

“Square Enix announced the new World of Final Fantasy,” he added. “That’s coming on PS Vita as well. And as you know and as I know, there are great games that come out digitally on PS Vita that are typically cross-platform with PS4. Volume is coming out soon and Super Time Force Ultra. There’s no lack of great games you can play on PS Vita.”

Yoshida seemed to lay some of the blame for PS Vita’s failure on a Sony success, namely the PlayStation 4.

“When we launched PSP, [it was] a big deal for people to be able to play PS2-quality games on the go on a portable. And that was great,” he explained. “But after that, when PS3 was announced, and people’s expectations for the high end graphics were raised above and beyond what PSP was able to handle. Those big titles and 3D graphics and action-adventure shooters are easier to play on a big TV. So the same things [were] going to happen, and are happening.”

Whilst bad news for PS Vita, Yoshida’s statement means that Gravity Rush 2 (forgotten about that, hadn’t you?) must be coming to PlayStation 4.

Source: IGN

1. coruscant
    Since: Oct 2010

We already knew that, since the last AAA game to come to Vita was KZM, 2 years ago!

Comment posted on 17/06/2015 at 20:12.
  2. Dar-Kaus
    Since: Apr 2009

It’s been over a year since I bought any games for my Vita, and I have to agree with many of the views above.
    Initially there were some really good games available before they trickled away to nothing that interested me.
    Then a few years ago the Indi movement really took off on Vita and there were some great little titles that were ideally suited to the small screen, but good as they were, I didn’t buy a Vita to play games I can already play on my smartphone.

In my opinion over the last year there has been less and less to get excited about on Vita. It’s a real shame because Vita is capable of so much more than it’s been credited for, I enjoyed using it for bedtime viewing on You Tube, and then recently they removed the support for that too, just another nail in the proverbial coffin.

I love my Vita and PS4 and I was an early adopter for both platforms, but I have to admit that Sony’s lack of support for Vita & Move have left me feeling that there is nothing to be gained anymore from being an early adaptor for new Sony hardware, and so I for one will be sat firmly on the fence for the first few years after Morpheus has arrived, as I think the hype that surrounds VR at the moment will need to be converted into a well supported platform and a genuine benefit to gamers before I invest further.

Comment posted on 17/06/2015 at 20:23.
  3. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

After 3+ years it’s sold just over 10m. It’s not going to get anywhere now.
    It’s the same reason why Wii U doesn’t get games (3rd party) and will be soon replaced. I’m not sure if Vita will get a replacement, maybe a PS4Go or something.

They really pushed it until not long after the PS4 launched, but the demand just wasn’t there. In fact people used to laugh that there was so much Vita in E3 2013, now people took bets to see if it was even mentioned, probably different sets of people mind.

Comment posted on 17/06/2015 at 20:46.
  4. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Wait, Sony is adknowledging the Vita’s existence? I thought they had it shot and buried alive years ago after failing to deliever the goods.

Sony, don’t put a console if you’re not going to bother supporting it as that is what you did with the Vita. I mean, the 3DS struggled but the Vita was almost dead on arrival due to piss poor marketing and selection of games. Did you even have a plan for it?

Comment posted on 17/06/2015 at 21:43.
  5. siddharth
    Since: Jun 2015

Lets start with the goods
    1) its the most powerful handheld console
    2) great games like everyone said uncharted,gravity rush,killzone,most wanted etc
    3) lots of indies guacamelee,hotline miami lots more
    4) decent features dual analogs,touch screen and good battery

OK now lets see what sony did
    1) memory cards no one can buy
    2) lack of decent library of AAA games they promised
    3) crappy ports jak collection, borderlands 2 ,ninja gaiden 2 etc.
    4) No Monster hunter in Japan(Biggest mistake and to cover it they wasted money on freedom wars and soul sacrifice)
    5) giving every good game for playstation plus members for free
    6) no sequels for psp’s greatest hits
    I think everyone knows these except for SONY
    what can they do
    1) add all psp titles and ps2 titles in native resolution if not HD remasters(Resident evil 4,San Andreas ,DMC 3,shadow of colossus many more ps2 and psp titles)
    2) lower the prices on memory cards
    3) new and decent games always welcomed

Comment posted on 18/06/2015 at 12:58.