Footage Of Uncharted 2 From The Nathan Drake Collection Has Appeared

Among upgrades.

A site called Meristation has posted footage of the upgraded Uncharted 2: Among Thieves  from The Nathan Drake Collection, with this demoing the quite famous helicopter chase scene. That footage can be viewed at this link with additional commentary in Spanish chatting about the game, along with some quiet in game audio. Or you could watch the same footage from AGB though this has no commentary or game audio, but instead the Uncharted theme playing over it.

The gameplay can be viewed in 1080p at 60fps and generally the textures do look a bit sharper. However it feels like something is missing, and the jump between the PS3 version and the PS4 of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves isn’t as huge as you may have expected. The real test is to come with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, and seeing how that as been improved since it released almost eight years ago. Sony has also confirmed that there will be a demo released of the collection at some point this summer, so then we can all make some proper judgements.

Source: Meristation/AGB/PS Blog

1. blast71
    Since: May 2012

I can’t really tell the difference, but it does make you realise how good a job naughty dog did getting those graphics out of the ps3.

Comment posted on 15/07/2015 at 23:04.
  2. CJay
    Since: Apr 2009

In terms of the graphics, it’s not a huge improvement over the original, but you can see a bit of polish. The main difference is in that lovely, smooth 60fps.

I have the original three games on PS3, but have only finished the first game so far. I planned to play them through before 4 is released, but I think I’ll definitely be picking up this collection. The number of remastered games we’re getting now is a bit annoying, but I’m more than happy to support Naughty Dog on this one.

Comment posted on 15/07/2015 at 23:10.
  3. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Just seeing this footage brought back so many memories and hearing that great theme music takes me right back. Can’t wait to replay these games.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 01:02.
  4. JoeBoi
    Since: Mar 2012

Will this include the multiplayer?

I really enjoyed Uncharted on the Vita and the original on the PS3 but never got round to playing the story for 2 & 3.

I was always too busy playing the multiplayer :(.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 07:45.
    • beeje13
      Since: Jan 2010

No mention of multiplayer. I think in the press release it said something along the lines of “includes the single player campaigns of 3 Uncharted games”.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 09:07.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

There won’t be multiplayer, it was confirmed on social media I believe (somewhere). Makes sense, as they probably wouldn’t want people be playing the MP of previous games when Uncharted 4 and it’s multiplayer isn’t too far away.

I can’t actually notice any improvements which is a shame, although a credit to the PS3 versions. But it’ll be fun to play these through again as it’s been a while since I did, and they’re so damn good.

I hope they create a new trophy list, I hate re-leases/re-masters having the same list, would be nice to have a different set of challenges to change things up a bit from the originals.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 09:49.
      • Bodachi
        Since: Jan 2010

It has to have a different trophy list due to the lack of multiplayer.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 12:14.
      • Forrest_01

That’s true, but I can definitely see them just taking those two trophies off entirely & being done with it tbh.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 13:03.
  5. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

Wow, a demo, that’s a rarity today. Hopefully that suggests they’re happy with the improvements and want to show them off. Hard to tell from a YT video though.

And what about golden abyss? It’s still Drake, so should be in his collection. Maybe dlc?

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 09:11.
  6. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

YouTube video…. The actual game will look way better.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 10:12.
    • spacedelete
      Since: Mar 2012

plenty of remasters you can tell the difference on YouTube. this aint 2008 anymore with 360p resolution.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 10:57.
      • bunimomike

That doesn’t stop aggressive compression, especially when there’s over two million pixels being delivered per frame and sixty of those frames per second.

I paused it many, many times and could see the degradation. Especially to the overall vibrancy.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 13:33.
  7. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Is there a way to make youtube _not_ try and play video at 60fps? It never seems to work too well in Chrome. Which might be my PC being a bit old.

What I end up with is a nice slideshow, which doesn’t appear to be too much of an improvement over the PS3 version of the game.

I guess it’s easier to make things run twice as fast than put any effort into making it look better. A completely solid 30fps and chuck as many graphical improvements as they could? Or a cheaper, slight improvement, with an unnecessary 60fps. Which it may or may not struggle to stick to. And probably makes bits of the game look really weird.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 12:57.
    • beeje13
      Since: Jan 2010

Try turning res down, i have a pretty decnt laptop and 1080p60 youtube just doesn’t work smoothly, I run chrome also. 720p60 works a dream aswell.

If that doesn’t work then you could look at chrome settings and see if hardware acceleration is on or not.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 17:13.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Yes, it works fine in 720p, and no problem at 1080 or 720 at 30fps. There’s just some weird thing happens at 1080p60.

And, as always, advice on how to fix it changes daily and may work in one version of Chrome and not the next. Best theory is that (a) Chrome doesn’t support hardware acceleration for those videos, and (b) Chrome tries to do it anyway, despite not being able to, with the inevitable disastrous consequences.

Turning off the hardware acceleration did, at one point, fix the problem. But now it doesn’t.

Of course, if Google were sensible, YouTube would give you the option to select the frame rate independently of the resolution. But no, if 60fps is available, that’s the only option for 720 and above, and you can only get 30fps at lower resolutions.

Who decided higher framerates are always better anyway? They’re not always. A game that looks better at a constant 30fps is better than a variable, almost 60fps that doesn’t look as nice.

And yes, that’s only a general statement. There are probably cases where it’s not true and higher framerates actually do make a difference. Mostly with lots of sideways movement. Or fast movement in 3d films. (The Hobbit films seriously benefited from 48fps in 3d)

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 20:05.
  8. fillip2k
    Since: Jun 2011

I’m proper looking forward to this collection, even though I have been a vocal critic of remasters, most e=interested to see what the first one looks like.

I loved the first game for me it was a justification for the PS3 purchase. However the texture pop in used to be horrendous plus everything looks beautiful at 60fps…

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 14:25.
  9. ResoBull
    Since: Apr 2015

Cannot wait! Even just extra pixel is all the excuse I need to play through these great games again.

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 19:32.
  10. JustTaylorNow
    Since: Oct 2011

So what are we looking at here? This looks exactly the same as UC2, show me UC1 then maybe I can be like wow the improvement since that’s an old dated game

Comment posted on 16/07/2015 at 20:18.