August's Free PlayStation Plus Games Revealed

Lara, Limbo, Stealth, Soundshapes, Castles & Kratos!

Next month’s selection of free games in the form of PlayStation Plus’ Instant Game Collection have been announced, and as usual it’s a good little selection with something for everyone, be that on PS4, PS3 or Vita.

First up, for PS4 is Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, which features four-player co-op story, in which players must work together to explore the temple, defeat hordes of enemies from the Egyptian underworld, solve devious puzzles and avoid deadly traps.

PS4 also sees Limbo, Playdead’s eerie black and white platformer where you step into the shoes of a young boy travelling a treacherous world in an attempt to discover the fate of his sister.

Alongside those the PS4 will also be getting Sound Shapes, a platformer where sounds and shapes seamlessly mesh together to create an unforgettable experience. You can even create your own levels, and compose music, by building environments and choosing enemies and obstacles. Sound Shapes is PS4, PS3 and PS Vita cross-buy compatible – so, free everywhere!

Another cross-buy title spanning all three platforms on the books is Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones. Described as a brilliant platforming adventure in which you play the role of a clone escaping a sinister and high-tech testing facility, Stealth Inc 2 tests both your brain and your reflexes over 60 varied levels linked together by a sprawling overworld, apparently.

As well as those two titles, PS3 players will also be able to get their hands on God of War: Ascension, which is a notable inclusion given the recently released God of War 3 Remaster.
Six months have passed since Kratos stood before the bodies of his wife and child, his hands stained with their blood – duped by Ares into killing the only people he ever loved. Sentenced to an eternity chained within a prison for the living damned, Kratos battles insanity at the hands of the Furies. He will be tested as he seeks freedom, redemption for his sins and vengeance for his family. Sounds cheery!

And finally, for PS3 and Vita, there’s CastleStorm Complete Edition, where medieval warfare meets 2D physics-based destruction! Controlling the battle in real time, you must harness the power of medieval artillery, manage a fearsome ground attack and cast powerful spells! CastleStorm features a story-driven solo campaign, a custom castle editor, online multiplayer, co-op modes and more.

August 2015’s PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection in summary:

Entering PS Plus:

• Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4)
  • Limbo (PS4)
  • God of War Ascension (PS3)
  • Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
  • Sound Shapes (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
  • CastleStorm Complete Edition (PS3, PS Vita)

Leaving PS Plus:

• Rocket League (PS4)
  • Styx Master of Shadows (PS4)
  • Rain (PS3)
  • Mousecraft (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
  • Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved (PS Vita)
  • Entwined (PS4, PS Vita)

The new update rolls out August 4th, so don’t forget to grab last months games before that date.

Thanks, PlayStation Blog.

1. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Damn, July has come and gone fast! I bought a PS+ sub at the start of the month, but haven’t got around to activating it yet.
    August’s games look OK (I’ve wanted to try Lara Croft for a while and Limbo is great), but I think last month’s was better with Styx.
    I’ll try to remember to activate it over the weekend, and maybe spend a bit of time in GTA Online or get round to downloading Driveclub Plus.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:06.
    • gazzagb
      Master of speling mitakse

So I decided to strike while the iron was hot… and PSN seems to be down. Wonderful.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:10.
      • freezebug2

That’s a shame dude, I was using a perfectly fine and active PSN for a few hours this aft without issue.
        You certainly left that months PSN activation to the final countdown!

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:31.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

I like to live dangerously! (Actually I just haven’t touched my PS4)

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 19:29.
    • duke
      Since: Apr 2011

Styx is good little game but it’s not brilliant on PS4. I played it on PC and thought I’d have a go at it from the settee on the PS4. Soon uninstalled it after finding clunky controls and slow load times. Shame, as it’s it’s a great game.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 19:34.
  2. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

It finally happened! A month where I’ve already got all 6 games.

A good sign for anyone else though, as they’re 6 games well worth playing.

Just be warned that after you’ve played the normal levels in Sound Shapes, and maybe done all the Beat School puzzle levels, nothing compares you for the terror that is Death Mode. It’ll drive you mad. In a good way. Dozens of attempts later, and you’ll do one level. The Platinum trophy feels like you’ve earned it. (And pops up automatically on the other 2 versions, should you want to get 3 of them)

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:11.
    • wonkey-willy
      Since: Jan 2010

look out ol’ grumpy is here making point yet again!!

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 21:41.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Oh, yeah, sorry. What I meant to say was “They’re all crap. Worst. Month. Ever”

What would I do without helpful people like Mr Donkey-willy pointing out the error of my ways? ;)

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 21:46.
      • wonkey-willy
        Since: Jan 2010

love you too man!
        i wish it was donkey!but its insignificant and slightly skew wiff..

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 22:26.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

You could have quietly ignored my typo, despite it being one of the better ones I’ve made.

But no, you had to point it out and now things are going to escalate rapidly, Mr Hamster-penis.

Comment posted on 30/07/2015 at 10:03.
  3. Adam Guest
    Since: Apr 2010

Good month, personally, interested in everything bar CastleStorm.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:31.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Everyone seems to be ignoring CastleStorm.

Which is a shame, because it’s quite good fun. Bright and colourful, and a strange mix of Angry Birds and numerous tower defense games. With hints of an action RPG.

A good solid 7/10. A fun little game that tries to do something different with a deceptive mix of genres.

Don’t overlook it because you’ve not heard of it or it doesn’t look like your sort of game (because it’s probably not quite the sort of game you think it is)

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 21:38.
      • Adam Guest
        Since: Apr 2010

I’ll definitely give it a go, but its currently the least exciting game in that list, that’s all.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 22:12.
      • Sitorimon
        Since: Jul 2011

I 2nd Castlestorm. Great mix up of genres

Comment posted on 30/07/2015 at 20:10.
  4. Kamokazi-UK
    Since: Sep 2009

Wasn’t both Limbo and SOund shapes already free via PS+? Hardly new additions if they already been free and cross play. But a really sweet deal regardless if peeps are new to PS+ and have recently picked up the systems, so I shouldn’t complain..

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 18:32.
    • spacedelete
      Since: Mar 2012

Sound Shapes has definitely been on PS Plus before and as for Limbo it isn’t cross buy so they could get away with it. sneaky way of padding the igc with the same games just on different hardware.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 19:21.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Limbo was on before (was it the PS3 or Vita version? Or both?)

But Sound Shapes hasn’t been. I don’t think. Looks like it was a replacement for Outlast in some of the more stupid countries that get all sensitive about these things.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 19:49.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

Limbo was PS3, and Sound Shapes was PS Vita I think, but cant be sure. Either way its something of a repeat episode, but good for newcomers I suppose.

Comment posted on 30/07/2015 at 00:03.
  5. Jim Hargreaves

Finally gives me an excuse to finish Limbo after my feeble attempt on PS3.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 20:10.
  6. TSBonyman

I have SoundShapes already via cross-buy and picked up the Stealth Inc bundle recently at a bargain price, but GoW Ascension looks good and i’ll grab Lara and Limbo too.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 20:31.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Another one picked up Stealth Inc when it was on sale not so long ago? It was a stupidly cheap price for the Ultimate-est bundle, and it’s lots of fun, so I can’t complain really.

Comment posted on 30/07/2015 at 10:15.
  7. Carrot381
    Since: Dec 2013

Looks a decent enough line up for my personal tastes although they’ll just add to that ever growing download list I fear.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 20:42.
  8. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Decent month, but am I right in thinking that Limbo was on PS+ last year, but as a Vita Cross Play, so you could play it on PS4 anyway….maybe I’m wrong

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 20:47.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

For some reason, the PS4 version isn’t included in that. You only get the PS3 and Vita versions. I think it might have counted as one of the Vita games whenever it was on PS+ before.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 21:29.
  9. SamBeThyName
    Since: Sep 2013

weak PS4 lineup – Limbo is good but should of been cross buy

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 21:23.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Very nice offering, I’m particularly looking forward to Stealth Inc 2. Cab anyone share their opinion about how much fun Lara Croft is to play with solo? I have no friends an a taste for crap innuendo.

Comment posted on 29/07/2015 at 22:55.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Perfectly enjoyable on your own, with everything adjusted so you can do it yourself.

Some games make the mistake of being designed for co-op play and just let you play on your own without any thought about whether it’s enjoyable or even possible. Not in this case.

It’s also more of a Tomb Raider game than that “reboot” Tomb Raider was.

Comment posted on 30/07/2015 at 10:12.