What We Played #235: Holiday Gaming

The one where we played games over Christmas.

It’s been a few weeks since our last What We Played, which came before we took a bit of a break for Christmas and the New Year. With that in mind, there’s plenty of gaming time to cover, and I’m sure you’ll be bursting with achivements and game completions in the comments below.

Personally, I took the opportunity to play through the rather charming Affordable Space Adventures with my brother. It’s a delightful co-op game that makes excellent use of the Wii U’s gamepad screen so that my brother could pilot our little space craft, while I was busy trying to toggle all of the ship’s engines and abilities.

I also rather enjoyed the latest episode of Minecraft: Story Mode, ground my way through Fat Princess Adventures, battled through some Gauntlet in co-op, and got going with a co-operative playthrough of Black Ops 3 in “realistic” difficulty. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, as well…

Tuffcub, meanwhile, played and awful lot of Fallout 4, doing a ton of side missions before finishing the main story quest at level 85. The side missions got a little tiresome, so he moved on to Nihilumbra on PS Vita, before playing Life Is Strange both by himself and to share gaming for the first time with a friend who’s visiting. That and ultra competitive brick hunting, as they play through LEGO Jurassic World together.

Aran’s also been a busy bee in the world of Fallout 4, wandering around the Commonwealth and battling with everything in sight. He’s also played a rhythm game called Beyond the Echo and Shovel Knight, which became the first game he completed this year.

Dom’s Christmas brought a bunch of gaming gifts, so he’s been cracking on with Rise of the Tomb Raider, which he says has been awesome, and hammering the drums in Rock Band 4, having got a new set of cymbals. He’s also spent some quality time with his son, Noah, playing Tearaway Unfolded, with the ability to create things on the iPad and send them into the game a standout feature.

Noah’s also been totally in awe of the dinosaurs of Ark: Survival Evolved, which Dom previewed over here.

Dave’s gaming time over Christmas was fairly minimal, and so he focussed on reviewing Starpoint Gemini 2 and Stone Tales – the latter of which you’ll find on the site next week. He did manage to find the time to play through Undertale’s inventive take on the RPG genre, and he got a new gaming laptop over the holidays as well, but he’s yet to really put it through its paces.

Last but not least for this week’s What We Played, Jim’s had little time this week for anything but some The Banner Saga, which is out on console next week. However, over the Christmas break, he sunk dozens of hours into The Witcher 3, took a nostalgic trip back to Super Star Wars and enjoyed a bit of Driveclub and Assassin’s Creed Syndicate.

Now it’s over to you. What have you been playing recently? Were there some games tucked under your Christmas tree, of have you found yourself trying to clear some of the backlog from 2015?

1. TSBonyman

I took a break from gaming over

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 16:19.
  2. TSBonyman

*.. Christmas and have yet to jump back in properly as i’ve been catching up with friends etc. I did find time to play Until Dawn though and even though there were no real scares i found it quite entertaining – and really impressive visually too.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 16:23.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Mostly GTAV on PS4 over the Xmas/NY period – I just have some stunt jumps and flying under the bridges for the platinum.

Played Episode 4 of Minecraft Story Mode with my son, he loves it! It’s been nice playing it together with him. We’ve also taken-turns with PvZ Garden Warfare on PS4. So much so that I picked it up for him on PS3 for £6.49 on the PS Store so he can play after school (he’s not allows on PS4 without me present).

Lots of Black Ops 3 – realistic playthrough and various level re-runs on Recruit difficulty for the Accolades.

Small amounts of Driveclub which I picked up in the sale, and some FIFA16 Ultimate Team.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 16:23.
  4. R1MJAW

The usual Borderlands 2 co-op sessions with Forrest and Pixel, though now that we’ve all got the platinum and 100% for all the dlc we’ve moved onto The Pre-Sequel.
    I played through the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands too.
    Some Guitar Hero Live.
    Rayman Legends (still grinding away towards the last trophy … which will take probably another 3 months).
    I’ve mainly been playing Terraria though as I’ve become re-addicted.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 16:51.
  5. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Had lots of fun with Blast71 on MW2 spec ops and Warhammer Space marine. Unfortunately the latter game was short lived as the MP was capped and the online pass wouldn’t redeem, seemingly because THQ went bust.

Otherwise some good racing on TGMEM and I picked up a few nice cars with the 20 mil from seasonal events.

Finally passed the wet racing series in Forza 6. FF drive got me there in the end, but I have no idea how I’ll manage the torque happy V8SC in the wet.

Winding down on Gears of War. Getting a bit fed of being lumbered in one too many unbalanced matches.

Returned to Battlefield 4 MP. It’s still great.

Got Metro Redux for Christmas which is epic. Can’t see any of the bugs or bad gameplay people were talking about, just the same goodness from the PC versions but even better.

I also got Ori and the Blind Forest which I was a bit hesitant about. I don’t really go for the whole indie generic platformer stuff, but it’s far from generic. By far the best platformer of 2015, and I regret giving that vote to Tearaway which doesn’t come that close.

Hoping to do some more co op on the PS3 over the weekend, finish Halo 2 and complete some V8SC in Forza.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 17:06.
  6. Carrot381
    Since: Dec 2013

I’ve had a good break away from all things gaming over xmas. This year I’ve popped Witcher 3 back in my ps4 with a view to finally getting the platinum. I’ve also had a couple of hours on Grim Fandango – quite the nostalgia trip but it does seem terribly dated to me. Not sure if I have the patience play through it though.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 17:17.
  7. Lyts1985
    Since: Jan 2009

Bagged the platinum on Fallout 4, at level 62 over Christmas. Brilliant game, if not a little too similar to previous iterations, and I’m really looking forward to the DLC!

Started Mad Max but about 12hrs in I’ve hit something of a wall of fatigue. It’s really enjoyable and I love the setting, the graphics are really impressive too, but damn, it doesn’t half get repetitive! Wouldn’t be so bad if there was a huge variety of things to do but, sadly, you’re repeating the same few tasks over and over. It’s something better suited, to me at least, to shorter sessions, unlike Fallout 4’s 10-12hr weekend marathons!

To try and break it up a bit I bought Tropico 5 in the sales and just polished off the campaign today. Sadly it seems the platinum is a no-go as the multiplayer is completely dead; not a single player online the last few times I’ve tried. Aside from that it’s really enjoyable if you’re into your sim games – very glad I have it a shot :-)

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 17:18.
  8. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Taking a break from Skyrim , I played Shadow of Mordor. What a shit port! I mean, the damn game looks, sounds and plays like an alpha at times! Normally, graphics don’t bother me but by god, SOM is starting to bug me.It seems to border on almost there to meh at times. Bloody sound bugs are annoying and generally the last gen versions should not exist.

Played and completed Spec Ops:theLine. fantastic game and does really take a look at the miltary shooter. Sadly, the way it was marketed resulted in poor sales thus no sequels or any other games in this style. :( Oh and Nolan North is in it.

Beyond Two Souls. Camera is misleading due to the control but that may just be me. Thankfully, it’s does not use Heavy Rain’s god awful fussy as hell controls and just use direction. The camera can interfer with it thus causing me to think i need to move the stick up instead of right.Detroit had better improve on the controls if they reuse the scheme!

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 17:46.
  9. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I’ve taken a 2 weeks break from gaming over Christmas, and I’ve not got any games under the tree either.
    But, I’ve managed to repair one of my DS4 with a new set of triggers (as L2 was broken).

I ordered Star Wars Battlefront, but haven’t got round to playing it, as I was busy with Driveclub, Virtue’s last reward, and I’m finally playing through The last of us, which was on my backlog for much too long.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 17:53.
  10. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Played about 6-7 hours of StarWars Battlefront in 30 minute segments. Got to level 16 but had enough and decided it’s not really my thing.

Started and completed Just Cause 3 100% and earned my 80th platinum. I enjoyed it but it was a disappointing follow up after Just Cause 2. In the same way Far Cry 4 was a disappointing follow up to Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon. Still fun games though.

Completed Kings Quest Chapter 1 (last months ps plus offering) and loved it. Ended up buying the season pass.

Had a quick look through my library and found Entwined. Another ps plus game I downloaded ages ago and forgot all about. I completed all the nine levels and kinda liked it. It’s one of those frustratingly challenging but rewarding games. I owe my swear jar 400 quid.

Finally got the platinum for Ratchet & Clank 3 on the Vita. Just need to replay the first game 62 more times to accumulate 1,000,000 bolts and I’ll have platinums for all three on Vita and PS3. Really looking forward to playing the new game in April.

Started playing Fallout 4 this week. I Just killed my first giant werewolf looking thing so I’m not very far, but I’m enjoying it.

COD Ghosts and Dying Light arrived today so I need to stop collecting every tin can, coffee cup and ashtray I find in Fallout 4 and get a move on with the story.

Comment posted on 08/01/2016 at 18:46.