The Nintendo Switch Got Its First Live Showing Last Night

May contain trace amounts of Jimmy Fallon's over-enthusiasm.

If you’re allergic to Jimmy Fallon, close this window as soon as you possibly can, but the Tonight Show host and massive gaming fan was privileged enough to be the first person to play with the Nintendo Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in public.

Reggie Fils-Aime appeared on the show, ostensibly just to show off Super Mario Run for iOS, and Fallon was already pretty excited about that, but he kind of lost it when Reggie moved the iconic question mark box to reveal a Nintendo Switch and then brought Breath of the Wild up on the big screen behind them.

Cutting through Fallon’s over-exuberance, it’s actually pretty cool to see the console in action for the first time, seamlessly switching from playing on the big screen to handheld mode, with the camera then focussing over Fallon’s shoulder to show that, yes, this is running in real time.

This was the first live showing of the console ahead of the wider and more public events planned for January 12th/13th around the world.

Oh, and Miyamoto got to rock out with the house band:

1. bunimomike

It’s SUCH a big handheld to take with you. I just can’t see people wanting to do this but always happy to be proved wrong with things like this. :-)

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 12:27.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

I’ve seen people with phones the size of tablets, and tablets the size of netbooks, going around town, the buses, the trains.

The Switch is a little thicker than most tablets perhaps, but general size is similar to most tablets I’ve seen these days.

Of course you could argue that with all those other devices already here, why would you want the Switch, but that’s a different (and rather age old) argument. I’m certainly not holding my breath on sales, we’ll see how it goes, but I’m pretty sure size will be least of people’s issues.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 12:54.
      • bunimomike

…and there it is. We saw the mobile gaming landscape transform with incredible speed when smart phones became ubiquitous. One can’t help but think it influenced how often a PSPGo was taken out with them as well as a smart phone. Don’t get me wrong, there are dedicated players that are committed to such things but there are millions of people who’ll think “um, I’ve got my wallet, my keys, my mobile… sod taking the Switch with me!” for mobile gaming. Then again, people might not realise that until it’s too late and it’ll still sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, as you say, the sales figures will reveal all. :-)

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 13:09.
    • Byacca
      Since: Oct 2016

But you forget one huge thing. The games are most important aspect, not the size of the device. Smartphones and tablets cannot deliver in that department

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:10.
      • bunimomike

To be fair, if the console is lovely (at home) and the games are great, the portability of it will be of little consequence.

We might see it being used around the home (in a mobile sense) but rarely outdoors. Either way, that could still work really well.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:32.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

You forget Mike, there’s plenty of places other than outside that you can play on a portable games machine! I’m mostly thinking on the loo, but I’m sure the Switch will be handy for keeping little Johnny amused at the kitchen table whilst mummy and daddy watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians on the main TV (probably, ironically, episodes from months ago). I like the idea of having a mate round and doing some split screen Mario Kart whilst the wives chat important chat, safe in the knowledge that we won’t be told off for having the TV on and being antisocial. I’ll also be playing mine in bed, because we have twins and don’t need to do anything else in bed anymore.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:59.
      • bunimomike

That’s why I said we might see it used primarily around the home. Honestly, I don’t know why I even bother replying sometimes! :-P

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:24.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Oh, sorry, you’re entirely right. You forget that lowering yourself to our level is just a big waste of time! Except for the smut, we all enjoy that.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 16:26.
      • bunimomike

Now I don’t know whether to hate you or not. I’m so confused. Can we start dating? :P

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 17:17.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

You date people? Wait, is this Bunimo”Dating” where it’s kidnappning, harvesting and worst of all, having to spend the rest of one’s life in wales or dating dating? If it’s the former, be very afraid, Ron. Also, RUN! :-p

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 17:42.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Hate or date? That’s a great idea for a website! It could be like Hot or Not but with people like Trump, Katie Hopkins and Hitler. Oh and date ;)

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 18:14.
    • Stefan L
      Community Team

You forget one important thing, Mike!

Actually, I don’t know if you forgot much, but everyone’s telling you that you forgot stuff, so I figured I’d join in the fun.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:47.
      • bunimomike

Welcome aboard. It’ll be good for you to get some stick instead. :P

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 17:29.
  2. Eldave0
    andUandU

Can’t stand Jimmy Fallon but I like what I’m seeing from the Switch. I doubt I would use it much outside the house (as others have said, it seems a bit too big for that) but I’m always competing with my Wife for control of the TV so I’d use the off-TV features a lot.

For me it all comes down to two things:
    1) How much? Is that rumoured £200 price point for the basic model accurate?
    2) Is Zelda a launch title? As much as I’d obviously like to play a new Mario, Zelda would be the game to convince me to buy one at launch.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 12:58.
    • Byacca
      Since: Oct 2016

Is Zelda a launch title? – I don’t think so.
      Actually, i’m pretty sure that Zelda will be released closer to september-october 2017

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:15.
      • Stefan L
        Community Team

No launch titles have been announced yet, but the most recent leaks say that it’s been pushed back to mid-late 2017.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:48.
  3. DJ Judas
    Epic

I’m not out-of-this-world excited. In fact I was a little underwhelmed with the Switch.

However, if they can hit £200, I’ll bite at launch.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:01.
  4. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Nice! It’s a smart looking thing, maybe Fallon has massive hands but I’m surprised at how slim and little it is. Same as the rest of you I hope the rumoured £200 is true, and if that includes the dock and controller thingy that’d be excellent.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 14:30.
  5. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

There is no way in hell this will be £200. None. Nintendo will have an awful lot of R+D and advertising costs to recoup on release, Id guess around £280.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:23.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

There’s now a rumour that it will be priced at £239.99. Admittedly, I just started that rumour.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:38.
      • Stefan L
        Community Team

I head a rumour you get a free 99 Flake with it.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:49.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Was the rumour in a football?

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 15:58.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

I’ve already got a ninety nine – would you like a lick?

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 16:08.
  6. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Yikes! lol
    I’m not sure about Stefan, but on that note, I’m gonna slowly take a step backwards & click the ‘Log Out’ button.

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 16:17.
  7. sparkyscrum
    Since: May 2011

I pre-ordered mine earlier this week. Helps Game has reduced pre-orders down from £50 a pop to £20.

Curious what the launch titles will be but there is already a couple of games coming out this year I’m after anyway (well one isn’t announced).

Comment posted on 08/12/2016 at 22:34.