You

What We Played #287 - Titanfall 2, Shantae & Gravity Rush 2

I want my BT.

Oh well, back to work it is. Except I work in a pub, so really I’ve been at work most of the time over Christmas anyway. However, everyone else is back at work now, so at least I can stop getting annoyed every time someone says how well rested they are or what a great break they’ve had. Not that I’m bitter.

Somehow though I’ve managed to play a lot of games, despite being very busy, and this week I’ve continued to plug away at Overwatch, in which I’m slowly building a group of friends to play with at 2am in the morning. It remains brilliant, but then I probably don’t need to bang on too much more about it after it won our Game Of The Year award. I’ve also spent time with Lego Dimensions and the Sonic Level Pack, Forza Horizon 3, and Drive!Drive!Drive!.

It seems as though nearly everyone else has been playing Titanfall 2. Jake has made it his sole gaming for the week as he’s been feeling under the weather, but fingers crossed he’ll bounce back next week! Miguel meanwhile is starting the new year in style, working on reviews for Tales of Berseria – you can read his preview here – Gravity Rush 2, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star and Yakuza 0. Oh, and he still played some Overwatch and Titanfall 2!

Dave started the week by completing Shantae: Half Genie Hero, which, while not the best game in the series in his opinion, is absolutely what platform games should look like in the modern age. He’s also continuing to work on his 3DS review of Dragon Quest VIII, and has passed the point he reached on PS2, while also checking out the Xbox One’s backwards compatibility with a little Red Dead Redemption, Catherine and the amazing Burnout Paradise.

Aran thinks that Titanfall 2 is the finest FPS campaign since Wolfenstein The New Order. Whatever you might think, he clearly loved it. At the moment he’s working on 2064: Read Only Memories, and in his continuing Football Manager 17 saga he’s won the Vanarama South with Ebbsfleet and since moved on to the National League. Maybe he’ll have won that by this time next week!

Surprisingly, Jim hasn’t played much Overwatch. He’s not fatigued, but sooner or later his attention had to be drawn elsewhere, he guesses. Instead it’s been all about PSVR, with the painful – in terms of motion sickness – Here They Lie, sitting next to the “sublime” Batman: Arkham VR. He’s also played – worked? – some Job Simulator, which is incredibly immersive, before finishing the campaign in Doom.

It’s been a quieter week for Steve – and one with no hint of Titanfall 2 – with God of War 2 on Vita taking time alongside Ratchet & Clank on PS4, while he walked around a bit in Everyone’s Gone To The Rapture.

There also wasn’t any Titanfall 2 for Tef, but he got a couple hours in on Forza Horizon 3 on PC, having had it downloading overnight for three nights running on his sluggish internet connection. He’s also been playing Space Hulk: Deathwing for a review that you’ll see early next week and caught what feels like a billion starter Pokémon in Pokémon Go.

Now then, what have you played to get over the early January hump?

1. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Completed my speed run and no deaths playthrough of The Last Guardian, just need to trigger a couple of Hints near the beginning for my 114th platinum, hopefully.

Played a fair bit of The Division’s Survival DLC, although still finding it tough. If you come across the wrong group of AI guys it can be game over quickly, and then you’ve wasted all that time playing. :/

Also played some Skylanders Imaginators with my boys. My eldest son chose to buy the Crash Bandicoot and Dr Neo Cortex figures with some of his Christmas money so we’ve been playing the Thumpin’ Whumpin’ Island level!

I’m probably going to start Telltale’s Game of Thrones game tonight. Seems like I’ve had no GoT in my life for too long.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 17:09.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Can you explain to me how you have a life? I have two platinums. Two.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 17:42.
      • Crazy_Del

What were the two plats you got TC? I’m just curious xD

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 18:00.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Mostly due to OCD and late nights! Sometimes I’m not sure how I have the time as I also work 45 hours a week, do a college course, have my kids for half the week, do a friends bookkeeping, go to the gym and play squash Monday nights! XD

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 20:08.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

Burnout Paradise and The Walking Dead s1

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 21:55.
      • Crazy_Del

Huh no Killzone? I thought you would have that Platinum =/

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 22:22.
      • freezebug2

Burnout Paradise, nuff said, job done ;)

Comment posted on 07/01/2017 at 04:33.
  2. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Finished Xcom 2, which is probably my favorite game of last year. Bought titanfall 2 which is so disappointing, way too much removed from the first game. One for the trade-in pile. Also got Dead Rising 4 which is more of the same, which I’m fine with.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 17:12.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

Why doesn’t that surprise me with Titanfall 2. I’ve yet to try it, but I’ve not been convinced by the people shouting about how good it is, especially after how lacklustre the tech test was.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 19:54.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

I think if you didn’t play the first it’s fine, but for someone who put 500+ hours into it, this sequel is too different. I saw a quote in a review saying “it’s like it was made by people who hated the first game” and that sums it up perfectly for me.

Here’s a few of my grievances!

Titans are rarer, not customisable and die within 5 seconds of taking fire due to not having shields anymore.

Some modes now have no AI soldiers like hardpoint.

Suppressors now don’t exist apart from on pistols, so the moment you get a kill you’re swarmed by enemies.

Pilots now can’t carry a main, anti-titan and pistol. It’s main and one of the others. Yes they uninvented pockets too.

Maps are terrible, CoD style choke points instead of the open maps.

Loads more camping, ironically due to them uninventing suppressors as hanging back is the only way you’ll get more than 2 kills in a life.

Frontier defense mode removed.

Barely any multiplayer achievements, which is odd given it’s a multiplayer oriented game.

Rant over!

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 21:15.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

Wow, that pretty much sums up my thoughts from the tech test, although one addition is that capture points are blockaded off so Titans can’t get in. Don’t know whether they changed that or not, but it was another shite change. I don’t believe the game looks that much better either, in fact I preferred the sound and special effects of the first game which lent a lot to the atmosphere. But again, I’ve not had chance to play it fully, I’m still optimistic I might gel with it.

I did enjoy the first game immensely, now perhaps it is one of a kind which would be a shame.

Comment posted on 07/01/2017 at 10:32.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

I hadn’t realised about titans not being able to get into capture points but now you say it, yeah, that’s another bad change they’ve made. Agree on the graphics too, they don’t look as sharp to me as the first game, like they’ve gone for a different style to it.

I’m that disappointed by it that I can even be bothered with the apparently great campaign.

Comment posted on 08/01/2017 at 09:43.
  3. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Too many things. Thanks, christmas/sales/existing backlog.

Finished Uncharted 4 (well, got to the end, still things to do). Disappointing but gorgeous for the first 8 or 9 chapters, then finally gets to be lots of fun from the clock tower onwards. Although it’s got the dreaded “chase sequence running towards the screen” bit. Why does anyone still ever do that? It’s a terrible thing to put in a game.

And some Doom. I got the BFG9000! Oh, yes.

It’s a remarkably fun game.

PS+ stuff too. Azkend is too addictive, in a way only games involving matching things can be. This War of Mine is good, but depressing. 2 of my people died, the 3rd got stuck in a locked room while scavenging, somehow, then got home, wouldn’t do anything other than get drunk at 8AM and then died for some reason.

Then I tried Titan Souls. It’s shit. Don’t bother downloading it if you’ve avoided it so far.

And now I’ve got more sale stuff to play. Mirror’s Edge and Ratchet & Clank. I’d say I’ve got everything from the sale I want, but that’d probably be a lie.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 17:24.
    • Sammy
      Since: Oct 2016

They do it because it’s a classic Naughty Dog gimmick. Even the Crash 1 level they chose is “the” gimmick.

Comment posted on 09/01/2017 at 09:11.
  4. Crazy_Del

Well I have been playing the VR more often than gaming with the Dualshock. Played and Platinum Pixel Gear great wee fun shoot ’em pixel game. Also played The Bunker and got the Platinum. A very different experience that one but I did enjoy the story and had to play it through again for collectibles.
    I have just completed my first Lego game Indiana Jones 2 on the PS3 (got it on Sale back in Boxing Day ^^ along with other Lego to catch up) I am enjoying it but more fun with my Co op Niece :)
    Also played a bit of Bar Knight after work to relax and shoot some virtual pool and virtual booze xD lol.
    Currently working on my 300th Platinum and it’ll be a VR game I’ll let you gamers guess ;)

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 17:55.
  5. TSBonyman

With about 20 warps to go, i decided to warp ahead and pick up the platinum for NMS… except i couldn’t because as soon as i had done two warps i immediately yearned to explore the planets i would otherwise be skipping.. so yeah,so much for skipping ahead lol. I should definitely be done in another few months! xD

I needed to get through some of my other games too though so i made time for Titanfall 2 and i’m enjoying it, nearing the end of the sp campaign now. Like Aran, it reminded me of the recent Wolfenstein game the way some missions revolved around the use of a particular tool. I’m not a huge fan of the Titan gameplay, finding them a bit slow in comparison to the rest of the game but they provide a change of pace as you go. The jumping feels a little clumsy at times but it works out fine. A really decent campaign overall with a nice bit of variety and some cool locations.

I also jumped into the last of last months plus content, Invisible Inc. It’s a bit like like CounterSpy and XCOM had a baby. I quite like it but at the moment i’m feeling the need for more action-oriented games to provide balance to my NMS contininuum.. ;)

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 19:38.
  6. blast71
    Since: May 2012

Completed call of juarez gunslinger on ps3, really good game that I’m starting again to try for more of the trophies. Finally bought gtav for ps4. Already got it on ps3 but damn it looks fine next-gen! Think I got my xbox at the wrong time because after installing a few games I haven’t turned it on because of gtav.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 20:23.
  7. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Still playing XCOM:Enemy Within and boy, is it kicking my arse. Literally 5 failed games. Well, I say that. It’s techincally didn’t fail but I entered a state of “Oh. Oh feck. I ain’t got a chance.” All Ironman saves. Game 1: Left with 4 people. Gave up as i ain’t bothering with 4 people. Game 2: Took too many losses of my vetrans and was constantly getting squadwipes to the point where panic was unmanagable. Game 3: Two back to back missions(one the alien base) of heavy losses. All vetrans and newly promted classes. Base defense was a no go. Literally had two to three people and the secruity guards. Shivs weren’t included in it. :(Basically fecked up beyond repair.Game 4: Too many losses despite making good progress. Game 5: Same.

Game 6: I intend to not rely that much on Squadsight snipers in terms of snipers. 50:50 disturbrution of Snapshot and Squadsight. Tis useful. Two types of assault. Those who don’t have great aim to begin with get a shot gun and are good as a tank(ish) and those who I think would make for good flanking assaults. Same with support. Flanking, aggressive support. Mainly flanking, overwatch, scouting etc.. and normal medical support. Going to use Mimetic Skin on snapshot snipers along with various others.

I intend to focus on Armour and Weapons first. Satalites are ready. Got 4 so far and just at the end of month 2. Using the left side as a satelite block. All the labs and workships in a small block(Mainly both MELD labs, foundry), got power sorted out.

Then it’s the first objective. I intend to use SHIVs as expendable MELD collectors. Kinda do care if they die but a SHIV is easy to replace. A levelled soldier is not. Got all the basic second wave options on. Training Roulette is a basic must have. It makes the game unpredictable when levelling up and can result in some powerful combinations. E.g. A sniper that can supress an enemy and is a squadsight sniper, you can use it to supress pretty much any enemy your squad see. Or a heavy medic that can pack quite the punch. It can give you some crap ones but that’s the nature of XCOM.

Damage Roulette is also a must have. Sure, it can and will be unfair but that applies to the aliens. You could do 1damage followed by 12 damage! One of my snipers once killed a Mechtoid(Basically, a mechanical enhanced version of the basic and first alien type, Sectoid that can ruin your day quickly but not as much as SECTOPODs.) with one shot. 12 damage with a laser rifle(Sniper).

Oh and the game was being pure evil at one point. Literally gave me 4 SECTOPODs. Taking one down requires an entire squad and they will put up a fight. Probably the hardest single units in the game. They are tanks and they get the unfair advantage of being able to overwatch automatically(Fire if you move), fire twice. Rockets do scratch damage. Even with the Blaster Launchers, you will have a tough time unless you have an entire squad of heavies. They can make MECS(Mechincal Enhanced soldiers) look like a new recruit by killing them in one go. Oh and they had 50% damage reduction.

Fighting fecking four on normal was pure evil! Squad wipe occur. 4 sectopods is everyone XCOM player’s nightmare. 3 at once is a code brown.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 21:31.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

Oh and played some of the original Doom. Tis classic Doom and it’s simple. Kill demons. That is all.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 21:32.
  8. aerobes

Stardew Valley, which is like an awesome combination of Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon.

Comment posted on 06/01/2017 at 22:53.
  9. Steelhead
    Since: Oct 2013

Been working night shifts in retail so barely any gaming for me over the Xmas period. Managed a bit of Steamworld Heist here and there. Excellent game, second only to Fire Emblem Fates in 2016 for me.

Comment posted on 07/01/2017 at 01:12.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Ratchet and Clank for me, finally done and platinummed too! Really enjoyed it, so much fun playing at oldy style game. So much so that my wife and I have been enjoying old Sonic and Mario games on our raspberry pi, just need to get two controllers for it now.

Comment posted on 07/01/2017 at 06:20.