Welcome back to first Something for the Weekend of 2017! I hope you had a good break, and are ready to start the new year with everything you’ve got. Similar to how we all were when starting back at work this week, the games industry is still mostly asleep with not too much going on. Anyway, there are still some things we can revisit and enjoy, so let’s begin…
In the News This Week
- Valve Reveals The Top 100 Titles On Steam For 2016
There were a few surprises in there too, with bunimomike pointing out “all manner of games – both in diversity and scale – can sell well”
- There Are No Plans For A Nintendo Switch Version Of Mass Effect Andromeda
“And it begins, Nintendo vs. third parties” says JustTaylorNow. Do you agree?
- TMNT: Mutants In Manhattan And Spider-Man Games Delisted From Digital Stores
Activision’s game licenses have expired, leaving physical copies the only way to purchase.
- Sony Sell 3 Million PlayStations In One Month, Microsoft Engage For 3.9 Billion Hours
Sony have now sold over 53.4 million PlayStation 4 consoles, but sadly there is no breakdown for how the PS4 Pro or PSVR are doing.
- The EU PS Store’s January Sale Just Got A Bit Bigger
£9 for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst is probably the best deal there, but there’s loads more. Did you get anything?
- Rocket League Was The Best Selling PlayStation Store Game Of 2016
“Very well deserved”, says phantom5813, “it’s a fantastic game and was well supported by DLC throughout the year that was reasonably priced and enjoyable”
- The First Alien Encounters In Elite: Dangerous Are Incredible
- Rihanna Pratchett Will Not Be Involved With The Next Tomb Raider Game
Those commenting seem to be eager for the series to try and take a new direction anyway.
Games in Review
We begin 2017 with a good variety of reviews this week, including Tuffcub’s thoughts on the Assassin’s Creed movie.
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – PS4, XBO, PC, Wii U, Vita – 9/10
- Lethal VR – PSVR, Vive- 8/10
- Tyranny – PC, Mac, Linux – 7/10
- Drive!Drive!Drive! – PS4, PC – 6/10
- Lego Dimensions Sonic Level Pack – PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, Wii U – No Score, DLC
- Assassin’s Creed (movie) – No Score
This Week’s Features
We started the week by looking at the games you voted for in the Game of the Year 2016 Awards. For the overall Community GOTY, Uncharted 4 walked away with nearly 50% of the vote, but other categories were much closer. Remember that you can still catch our Games of the Year 2016 articles, along side our month by month review of 2016. If you’ve had enough reminiscing, then feel free to check out what we have to look forward to in 2017.
From the previews, it was unsurprisingly a quiet week. Miguel looked at Tales Of Berseria, which even from this early look, feels like a game that both fans and new players will love. Meanwhile, we also had a look at Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, which nearly 8 years on is still at the top of the console RTS genre.
Finally, What We Played this week featured Titanfall, Shantae, and Gravity Rush.
Youles completed his speed run and no deaths playthrough of The Last Guardian as he edges towards his 114th platinum. Meanwhile, Starman completed XCOM 2 – which he thinks is his favourite game of last year, and MrYd finished Uncharted 4, although he found the ending to be disappointing. Not to be outdone, blast71 completed Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and now heads back to get a few more trophies.
Lastly, Crazy_Del got the platinum for The Bunker, and now sets his sights on his 300th platinum – “a VR game” which is all he’ll reveal to us…
The Week Ahead
Once again, there aren’t any major releases for the coming week, but we can all expect that to change as 2017 starts getting into gear! Have a good week and I’ll see you next time!