Sony Are Releasing A Glacier White Slim PlayStation 4 Later This Month

PS4 Slim & White

When it comes to consumer electronics, plain black seems to become de rigeur for the last couple of decades. That’s certainly true of the PlayStation line up, but there’s the occasional variation, and Sony are adding a second colour of slim PlayStation 4 alongside “Jet Black” in the form of “Glacier White” at the end of this month.

Coming with a white DualShock 4 in tow, it will be available with 500GB in Europe from January 24th or with 500GB and 1TB in Japan from January 23rd, with the usual pricing that starts at £259/€299/¥29,980. Alas, North America and the PlayStation 4 Pro are both being left out of the party.

I must say, the new variant does actually go quite nicely alongside the PlayStation VR.

Curiously, the press release finished by stating that “SIE will continue to further enhance the entire PlayStation ecosystem by offering users the choice of a variety of hardware models,” which I’m really hoping goes beyond a white PS4 Pro and includes more unusual colours of plastic. Vermillion, anyone? Perhaps a nice pastel orange?

Source: press release

1. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

I know it doesn’t make the slightest bit of difference to the functionality of the console but I do prefer the white versions.

If they do release a white Pro, I’ll have to get it and it will be the third time I’ve traded in my PS4 since 2013 (PS4 Black > PS4 White > PS4 Pro Black > PS4 Pro White). I should just take a leaf out of MJ’S book and accept that it don’t matter if it’s black or white. EeeeHeeee! Oww!

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 12:05.
  2. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

I’d love a Pro white. No interest in the slim one, no 4k support, no optical, meh.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 12:08.
  3. JustTaylorNow
    Since: Oct 2011

I want the pro to be different colours. Would love the metal gear solid one like the OG PS4, that was literally my fav & crowd when I sold it

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 12:13.
  4. Sammy
    Since: Oct 2016

Ever since PS2, I never liked the “different colour” editions of PS consoles because they always persisted to have the “original” black parts in it. For example the silver PS2 had the black power/eject buttons for whatever reason. And the gamepads always have the buttons the same colour as the original black one which in my mind makes it look wrong.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 12:42.
  5. camdaz

There must be a market for different colours or Sony wouldn’t bother but all I’m interested in is what’s inside.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 13:04.
  6. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Followed by the “BLOODY HECK! I NEED TO DUST THIS!” Edition after a few months of owning it due to dust showing up more on white stuff.

Looks snazzy though but the controller somehow looks like it’s made out of cheap materials and prone to breaking. Don’t know why but it may just be the colour.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 13:55.
  7. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I’m glad they stuck to black with the base model, as I’ve got the PS3 sitting on top of my PS4, and mixed colours would look rubbish.
    Personally, I find this quite irrelevant, but there seems to be a market for it, otherwise they probably wouldn’t bother.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 15:53.
  8. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Liquorice Allsorts, yum.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 18:11.
    • JR.
      Since: Apr 2013

The white one definitely looks like a liquorice allsort. Or a recycled Stormtrooper.

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 18:36.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

Oh for feck’s sake! Now I have to buy them tomorrow! Thanks a bunch, Ron!

Comment posted on 10/01/2017 at 21:15.