You

What We Played #297: Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands & For Honor

Half day hero.

It’s been a week of disruption in our house. We’ve got the painters in – stop sniggering at the back – and our living room is off limits. This wouldn’t be such a big deal if we didn’t have two small children, and perhaps it wouldn’t be such a big deal if I didn’t spend a good deal of my time playing computer games, but trying to live family life out of a small galley kitchen is not very amusing. You discover that those wooden stools at your breakfast bar might be alright for a quick bowl of cereal, but not when you’re trying to review the epic Mass Effect Andromeda with a 32″ telly perched where the slow cooker should be. Still, it’s definitely kept me more focussed and alert than the comfy sofa would have.

Besides hammering through Mass Effect, I’ve continued to pick up my Nintendo Switch wherever possible so I can try and get further in Breath Of The Wild, while also having a bit of a blast on Fast RMX, though my well-loved 3DS saw an outing while I finished reviewing Mario Sports Superstars. Which was… alright.

Steve was the first to drop in, and he’s finished Uncharted 4, where he thought Nathan’s paunch was more obvious than in the other games, though Tef was quick to jump to the defence of the adventurer’s stomach size. If he has an extra biscuit or two where’s the harm? He also loved his time with Future Unfolding, got annoyed at Jak 2 on Vita, and introduced the kids to Isengard in Lego Lord of the Rings.

Jake has played lots and lots of Zelda. And seemingly not much else, while Miguel has given over his body and soul to NieR: Automata, while nipping into Fire Emblem Heroes and Chaos Code. Tuffcub meanwhile has platinumed Horizon: Zero Dawn which he was rightfully proud about, besides working on a review of FlatOut 4 which you can probably read right now.

Aran’s had an eclectic week with Gravity Rush 2, For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands taking up his time. He hasn’t had much luck in For Honor besides some decent loot, Gravity Rush 2’s side missions are rubbish, and Ghost Recon is still his favourite multiplayer game of the year. Jim got both Breath Of The Wild and Ghost Recon Wildlands finished in an epic display of time management. He’s also still enjoying his Wii U and picked up Captain Toad which was a great palette cleanser after the huge open world shenanigans of the other two.

Tef’s continued to play Breath of the Wild, but also spent some time racing around in Dirt Rally VR, tried out Mass Effect Andromeda’s multiplayer and booted up Gears of War 4 to do a benchmark test. Dave has been playing a game that rhymes with Ersona Live, but he still can’t say anything much about it. Apart from to us, and then we’re sworn to secrecy. So yeah, we know about it…. and you don’t… sorry about that.

Now then, what about you? Have you finished any of these huge open world games?

1. Tony Cawley
    Pint! Pint!

Plenty of For Honour, which I’m still really enjoying, despite its flaws which I laid out in the TSA article the other day.

Besides that I finished Dragon Age: Inquisition. It was OK but I’d definitely had enough and was happy when it ended.

So, after that I was looking for something new to play. I took a look through my PS4 library and discovered Infamous First Light, I think it was free on + once upon a time? I remember not enjoying it first time around and giving up quite quickly but I have to say this time I’m finding it a lot more fun.

I also went back and re-downloaded Tropico 5 which I abandoned too soon, again I’ve given it another go and am actually liking it now.

The usual Overwatch with my son in the early evenings after school.

I think that’s about it.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 17:17.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

First Light is nice little game, well worth the time.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 17:22.
  2. Crazy_Del

For Honor as Tony said. Did some co op on Realistic and a few multiplayer matches.
    Also played Ghost Recon and got the Platinum last night ^^
    Currently editing my gaming vids and screenshot and such to copy over my external HDD and to upload a few on YouTube.
    Hopefully get the last story trophy on For Honor and then wait for the season to end for the Platinum.
    Been itching for a new short game to play before Mass Effect is released.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:01.
  3. Pixel_nme
    Since: Mar 2014

Monday night only managed some Steep with R1MJAW and Forrest was working late,Wednesday night was just me on Battlefield due to others being busy or doing stuff and tonight as usual should be GTAV with R1MJAW and heedbaw and hopefully Forrest if he gets out of work early enough,in between has been quite a bit of Lego Worlds and Horizon Zero Dawn a little Disc Jam and several hours of Flatout 4.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:39.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

as Forrest was working late not and!

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:40.
  4. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Good work on the Horizon platinum TC. Horizon is all I’ve been doing whilst the kids are asleep and napping, personal hygene and food have taken a back seat and I’ve even been getting up half an hour early to squeeze a bit more Aloy into my day. I think I’m in love with the ginger badass, good thing she isn’t real or I might turn into a stalker.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:48.
    • Crazy_Del

Uhm then best stay away from Aloy Cosplay then =P

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:59.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Pandora’s box has been opened!

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 21:56.
      • bunimomike

Aloy’s too.

Comment posted on 19/03/2017 at 14:38.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Nice lol
        Sorry Ron, but I’m about to turn her on right now!

Comment posted on 19/03/2017 at 15:39.
  5. Jag

I’ve mainly been hooked on Nier Automata all week, it’s so good that I haven’t played Horizon at all.
    I’ll be interesting to see what Miguel thinks of Chaos Code as it looks interesting.
    Momodora also looked pretty cool on the PSN store this week.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 18:59.
  6. tactical20

Quite a bit of Lego Worlds. Up to 82 gold bricks after about 10 hours play. It’s pretty bad/broken/glitchy, but definitely has potential. I’m gonna stop playing now and keep my fingers crossed for a BIG patch with new features and stuff to do. At the moment it gets pretty boring pretty quickly. It’s also extremely confusing, as there are next to no instructions as to what you are supposed to be doing or how stuff works, what it’s for, what things mean, etc.. At the moment I’d give it a 4/10, but I could see it getting better with proper support.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 19:54.
  7. TSBonyman

I’ve played a good bit of Lumo, utterly charming and engaging but dammit if the camera angles don’t make some of it more difficult than it otherwise would be. And the spiky balls.

Mostly No Man’s Sky though, just unlocked the second vehicle, the hovercraft which will traverse water as easily as land and is great for getting big air . I’m enjoying all the new features and changes and the photo mode is on a par with the one in TLoU or Driveclub – except you can move the camera to an even greater degree here and you can place the sun wherever you want – and it’s providing some stunning captures and art.

Comment posted on 17/03/2017 at 20:02.
  8. aerobes

Making slow progress in Witcher 3 and that’s it this week. Not much time for gaming having taken a promotion at work so things have been a little chaotic, the good kind of chaos.

Comment posted on 18/03/2017 at 07:05.
  9. Eldave0
    andUandU

Zelda. So much Zelda. 42hours worth according to my profile, oops.

I fear I’m reaching the end now though, with just 1 Divine Beast to go, so I’ve gone back to Shrine hunting for now. I feel I’ve been pretty thorough and I’ve still only found a 1/3 of them. Very well hidden.

Comment posted on 18/03/2017 at 08:09.
  10. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I thought I sent my comment yesterday already, but it’s not there…

Not much gaming this week, as when I wanted to play Far Cry 4 co-op, it didn’t let me, as, quite stupidly, I’d have to play more of the campaign first.
    So I started the latest Tomb Raider instead, which I just got in the sale, and I find it really good.

Comment posted on 18/03/2017 at 14:31.