PlayStation 4 System Software 4.71 Is Out Now

Stronger and more stable than the UK government.

I can tell your heart has skipped a beat at seeing the headline. What could such a landmark version number offer? What do the heady heights of system software 4.71 bring to gamers around the world? Is it another major leap forward like 4.70 was?

Well, let me tell you:

Main features in version 4.71 update

• This system software improves the quality of the system performance.

That’s right, Sony are ensuring that your PlayStation 4 has got quality system performance coming out of their ears. For what it’s worth, it’s an optional update with network connectivity continuing while I wait for it and a smattering of game patches to download. It likely targets one specific issue with a particular game, in a manner that isn’t essential for the majority of users.

1. TSBonyman

At least they’ve changed from stability to quality updates! :)

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 12:19.
    • Stefan L
      Community Team

If only they could make things more pleasant, like Nintendo does?

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 12:24.
      • TSBonyman

That’d be fun if it popped up .. “This update makes the system as pleasant as Nintendo” :)

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 12:57.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

I was so excited more more stability, if we’re not getting it does that mean we’ve reached peak stability? Is my PS4 basically now a 3ft fencepost with 30ft deep foundations?

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 12:28.
    • TrumpyMx
      Since: Nov 2016

I know it’s easy to mock, but what this really means is that it’s a new AMD GPU driver, just like you get on your PC, and just like the Xbox one’s that Microsoft make a huge song and dance about.

The stability? It’s a driver update that fixes bugs and improves performance for games in development, not games on the market, which is why you rarely any benefit.

So the next time some uninformed cretin climbs aboard the overloaded fail bandwagon and mocks about PS4 stability, you can just laugh at their stupidity.

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 22:08.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

They say this, yet I swear the longer time goes on the more my PS4 experiences crashes. *sigh*

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 12:47.
    • bunimomike

Crashes? Wow! I haven’t had a single crash with my PS4. :-\

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 14:48.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Sorry, more accurately software crashing – getting that blue screen message mid-game. Guess that could be the game rather than the PS4 but it has happened with various games so assumed it’s the PS4 :(

Last night I did have one issue with my PS4 where it didn’t appear to want to turn on. When it finally did it had to rebuild database or something similar.

And this is from a PS4 Pro that I got in January!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 14:58.
      • freezebug2

I’ve had several crashes from the current slim PS4 that I fashion but nothing of note as a simple “switch it off then switch it on again” always seems to cure the consoles moment of diva without any database rebuild distraction!
        You do, however, fill me with intrepid and unsure anticipation as I’ve just chucked a bundle at a PS4 pro that is due to arrive in the not too distant future! Gulp!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 16:48.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Good work freeze! Am sure you’ll be fine, these things always happen now and then. Only had the database thing once tbf!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:21.
      • bunimomike

Blue-screen message mid-game. Nope. Not had one of those either. *goes to investigate*

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:53.
      • Lyts1985
        Since: Jan 2009

I’ve never had any hard crashes from my PS4 Pro, had it since December. I have had a few blue screen soft crashes though. I used to get them on my original launch PS4 too so can’t say as I’m concerned!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 19:35.
      • TrumpyMx
        Since: Nov 2016

Because it’s not for released genes, it’s in preparation for UPCOMING releases.

Basically updated AMD GPU drivers with big fixes, and Sony minor OS fixes.

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 22:10.
      • freezebug2

Thanks for that reassuring note mate ;)

I’m actually transferring data right now via Lan cable between consoles and fingers crossed, short of a power cut, it all seems to be going swimmingly.

It’s a big beasty compared to the almost pocket sized slimster :P

Comment posted on 23/06/2017 at 16:35.
    • Mick939

Im getting a number of those crashes lately too (well, three in as many week, but more common) says software issues. On pro also

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 16:57.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I’ve had it with Hitman and Ghost Recon Wildlands. Maybe HDR related?!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:22.
      • Mick939

Nah mine was woth Marvel heroes and Walking dead new frontier, no hdr related. But i have wandered if its external hard drive?

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:48.
      • Lyts1985
        Since: Jan 2009

Walking Dead: New Frontier, Horizon Zero Dawn, and WWE2k17 immediately come to mind as games I’ve had soft crashes on. I’m not using an external HDD either so it’s not that, my Pro is well ventilated, not overly hot or working particularly hard… just seems completely random!

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 19:39.
  3. DJ Judas
    Epic

It would be nice if rest mode could go back to functioning correctly. Since late March rest mode makes the machine warmer with fans spinning faster than when it’s on and in operation, no idea how to fix, including cleaning the fan.

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 14:43.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Mine only does that when it’s hot. Maybe re position the console?

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:16.
      • DJ Judas
        Epic

Yeah, tried the lot as I assumed it was heat. It can be cool and quiet in regular operation, put it to rest mode it gets louder and warmer while not doing anything at all. Most strange.

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 17:20.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

I don’t think it’s anything to do with heat. It started happening with one of the updates and then the next update stopped it, for me at least.

And it’s not suddenly started again this week when the temperature was what can only be described as “too bloody hot, I’ve been dripping constantly for 5 days!”

Weird bug they haven’t quite fixed yet then?

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 18:41.
  4. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

Cannot wait to get home and try it out – so excited…!!

No, seriously, I actually had quite some crashes recently, in Fallout 4,the media player, Abzu, etc.

Comment posted on 22/06/2017 at 16:10.