Sony Reveal The PS4 Firmware 5.00 Features

Oh.

The PlayStation Blog have revealed the details of the next big firmware upgrade for PlayStation 4, which is numbered 5.00. Unfortunately most of the new features aren’t particularly exciting, it seems like they’ve grouped a load of smaller items together to justify the 5.00 tag rather than having a big headline feature.

The existing master/sub-account system is being redesigned to be more family friendly, allowing the promotion of accounts to ‘parent status’ and each child account can now have individual levels of restriction. The ‘Favourite Groups’ tab found in the Friends list is being replaced by new ‘Custom Lists’ which lets you create and edit custom lists of your friends and arrange them into specific groups. For example you could set up group containing all your chums who play Battlefield 1.

The Quick Menu (above) will be updated and now includes and easy way to look at your notifications, and there is also a new ‘Leave Party’ option.  There is an improved tournaments bracket viewer, and finally, updated language support which includes Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Greek, Thai, Indonesian and Vietnamese languages.

Communities can now be linked to broadcasts, and PlayStation VR is getting a ‘Display Message to Spectators and Spectators’ Comments’ option which will show up comments from broadcasts even when you are in VR mode. PSVR owners also get 5.1ch and 7.1ch virtual surround sound through headphones.

PlayStation 4 Pro owners will get 1080p 60fps streaming on Twitch, and you can now share Spotify tracks via the PSN messaging system. Finally, notifications can be disabled when playing videos, so you won’t be interrupted when streaming Orange Is The New Black, and message previews can be turned off.

Beta testers will be able to get the update today, with a full roll out for everyone else later this year.

Source: PS Blog

1. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

The option to disable annoying messages popping up while you’re watching video is the best thing there. Stupid messages saying the controller has disconnected because you’ve not used it for some time. And some random time at that. Sometimes however long it’s supposed to be, more often about 5 minutes before the end of an episode of whatever I’m watching on Netflix.

Should anyone want to test it, here’s 2 spare codes…

E4DK 4FNC H7AB

AJJT DNN4 A8NP

It says their for friends, but you lot can have one if you want.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 16:12.
  2. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Also got a spare code for anyone who’d like it…
    A29K FJNQ JEH3

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 16:16.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

This means either (a) Sony hate you and only gave you 1 spare code, or (b) you have 1 more friend than me, which isn’t really anything to boast about. ;)

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 16:26.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

Or they are bribing him to slander the holy nectar that is…

Tea.

Yeah, i’m starting a consiparcy theory about them. And not because i’m bored. There’s not much for me to comment aside from it seeming to be a bit meh and me feeling that YD is onto something or on something. ;)

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 16:45.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Ah bless you MyYd, you can have my friend if you like? But I only have the one so you’d better appreciate what I’m giving up.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 19:08.
  3. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

I’ve got 2 codes spare should anybody want to participate in beta. I don’t think anybody will bother though just PM on PS messenger if those above have been used. PSN ID is the same as my name here.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 17:06.
  4. RFC2007
    Since: Sep 2009

Thanks for the code ron_mcphatty. Appreciated :)

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 18:31.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

You’re very welcome :)

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 19:09.
  5. camdaz

It’s a bit disappointing as it’s a x.00 update. I was hoping for a “headline feature”.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 18:48.
    • TrumpyMx
      Since: Nov 2016

There is more than meets the eye. I think there are some big under the hood performance enhancements (new AMD drivers?? Or more???). Some older games that used to chug sometimes even on PS4 pro are now much smoother…

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 10:42.
  6. TSBonyman

I got the codes too dammit. :/ I might try it over the weekend for the sake of it but i also have two codes spare, I’ll stick them on the thesixthaxis community page on PS4 if anyone wants in.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 21:06.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Why not give them to a friend? ;)

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 21:07.
  7. dave87fez
    Since: May 2011

That’s the most underwhelming list of features imaginable for a x.00 update. Not a single thing that made me go “huh, that might be cool”. Is this Sony saying “this is it, folks. This is as good as this generation is going to get”?

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 03:18.
  8. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I don’t find it underwhelming at all, IF the subaccount feature works now. For parents that is a very important improvement.

I got codes too, so if anyone needs one, send me a message on PSN (same ID as here).

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 08:16.
  9. stueeeee

I do find it a little underwhelming. Was hoping for a big feature too especially after the last update came with the external hard drive gubbins.
    However, short of making a way of storing media on the console like PS3 could, I’m not sure what I’d wish for in a round number update.
    Heres 2 codes.

CPQP EDNF 2QA6

M5CN 6JN2 TMR2

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 10:38.