You

What We Played #319 - Sonic Mania, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy & Observer

The one with the weird dreams.

Dom’s had a bit of a nightmare week, and so I’m stepping into the breach once more to act as a go between and relay the writing team’s collective gaming over the past week. We’ll start with Dom, though, who shouted back at me that he’d played, “Monster Hunter XX! Horizon Zero Dawn! Sonic Mania! Snake Pass! LEGO LOTR!”

Kris has also been playing with blue hedgehogs this week, saying it’s a “really really good Sonic game” and that it feels so good. He’s been loving the boss fights in particular, and I’m sure he’ll be waxing lyrical about them to you some time soon.

I’ve also been loving the bosses in Sonic Mania, mixing that up with plenty more Splatoon 2 multiplayer when I want to kick back. That’s been alongside telling you about JackHammer and WTF, and then there’s F1 2017, which we’ve just got in for review as well, though that’s more for this coming weekend.

Of course, it was Dave who was lumbered with the task of actually reviewing Sonic Mania. If the 10/10 score wasn’t enough of a hint, he’s completed it 100% with all the trophies to show just how much he enjoyed it. He eventually managed to tear himself away from it long enough to play and review Halcyon 6, and he’s also been trying out Tekken’s release on mobile.

Taking a break from the Sonic players among us, which should be a spoof Telltale series, Miguel shared that he’s been playing Ys Seven, a good chunk of Overwatch and a touch of Muramasa Rebirth. He also had a fever dream about playing Warframe, but he can’t be sure.

It was average o’clock for Aran, as he played Agents of Mayhem (or should that be Mehhem?) for our review. He then went back to the lands of good gaming for a bit more of Horizon Zero Dawn, and he’s reviewing The Escapists 2 for next week.

Jim blitzed through the lovely Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, giving it a great review yesterday morning. Of course, there’s been some For Honor thanks to the Season 3 update, which has seen him adopt the Highlander as his main hero. There’s also been another very strange game called Whiteday, which is a remake of a Korean PS2 horror game.

Speaking of horror, Tuffcub has been playing Observer:

I’ve just lead a floating television which screams like a baby if you leave it alone, and giggles and chuckles when you hold it’s lead, through some corridors filled with other screaming things and screens with eyes.

He’s got more of this joyous weirdness to enjoy this weekend, and tonight he’ll get to “Sit through more hours of body horror, horrendous clump machines who rip your face off, and drug induced frakery.”

Sounds positively delightful.

1. freezebug2

Almost completed Horizon’s trophy cabinet, just three blazing sun level hunting trials to nab and the Nora Grazer training dummies to erm. dispose of.

Started Matterfall and after a confusing learn of the button configuration, I’m finding the game an utter delight….another cracker from the HouseMarque team ;)

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 18:34.
  2. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

A bit of Yakuza 0 (buying “shrink wrapped magazines” for young boys, dubious “cat fights” and completely failing to get anywhere with the story due to those distractions and a million other things)

And some more CoD: MW Remastered. Trying to get through the campaign on Veteran difficulty. Thankfully that seems to be about 50% skill and 50% trial and error until you learn where the enemies are coming from. Still, it’s a bunch of ultra rare trophies. Dreading that One Shot, One Kill level. The Pripyat one with the swarm of enemies. I’ll be quite pleased with myself if I do that.

Also, Megadimension Neptunia VII. Finished it, did my second (new game+) playthrough in a couple of hours but somehow missed a single scene (I think) so didn’t get the best ending. So it’s just a grind to get the rest of the trophies (some need to be done in 1 playthrough) and then play it for a 3rd time to get that missing ending. By which point I’ll be so overpowered it’ll take about 15 minutes.

I’d better not look at what’s in this week’s sale. That would be bad.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 18:59.
  3. Crazy_Del

The usual 3 games daily WipeOut, Borderlands and Friday the 13th.
    Still on Fury with Wipeout and almost completed with all Elite medals should be tomorrow. Just got the Borderlands Platinum there (Reached level 50) and huge thanks to hairfreax who joined my cause and helped me defeat Terramorphous the Invincible!
    Will continue to play Borderlands Co Op with Roy in order to reach Rank 50 and to defeat The Terramorphous aswell when we are ready.
    Another thanks to Pixel_nme who shared play LawBreakers for me to try it out and it was fun but quite chaotic and sadly not for me.
    Still playing Friday the 13th every night and still enjoying the game and I have no idea how many matches I have played or hours I have put in.
    Looking forward to Uncharted Lost Legacy on Wednesday. :)

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 19:12.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

No worries;)

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 20:29.
  4. Pixel_nme
    Since: Mar 2014

Once again the usual co-op shenanigans and some Sonic Mania that’s about it this week.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 19:13.
  5. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Mostly Return to Arkham collection this week. Focused on the main stories and enjoyed them a lot more than when I played them originally on the PS3. Arkham City (which I hated originally) was A LOT better but both games still hold up really well. I kinda wish they had remastered Arkham Origins too as I remember enjoying this more than Arkham City at the time.

Played a little bit of Lego Dimensions with my Nephew’s but I’m honestly not enjoying it at all and the kids don’t seem impressed either. The regular Lego games are superior in every way. It’s a shame because we love the regular Lego games and I thought Dimensions would be better. The kids still love playing Disney Infinity but I can’t see us returning to Dimensions once we’ve completed the main story. I definitely won’t be buying any more sets.

Also completed The Town of Light but thought it was complete garbage. I barely had the will to finish it, I can’t imagine how the folks that spent several months actually making it survived. Perhaps someone should check-in with them and make sure they’re ok. Still, I did manage to nab a platinum trophy in under 2 hours, so it isn’t all bad.

Tried to play That’s You! but couldn’t get my phone to connect and decided it really wasn’t worth wasting any more of my time.

Outlast 2 arrived in the post this morning, which I’ll try and play over the weekend. First one was pretty good.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 19:34.
  6. blast71
    Since: May 2012

I played a game called “waking up for work at 4.30am and getting a case of vertigo, nearly knocking myself out on the wall whilst waking the rest of the house in the process”. Gold trophy!

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 19:42.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

That sounds nasty, hope the vertigo has gone? Not much fun when it lingers.

I’ve been playing some Sonic, it’s awesome, and plenty of Zelda, which I’m close to finishing. I’ve lost all motivation though, my nine year old nephew came to visit today and asked me ‘Guess what?’, stupidly I bit and he then went on to spoil the ending. I didn’t ‘La la la’ in time, hopefully there’s more than what he spilled. Bloody kids, still love the little terror though.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 20:25.
      • blast71
        Since: May 2012

It only lasted a day, it was because I’d been using earex drops as I had a bunged-up lugole. Had to go to the clinic to get a proper ear-rinse. Had a right old bit of wax that wouldn’t shift. Gone now tho, just got a bit of tinnitus to contend with. Happy days.
        Love it when you get something ruined by spoilers. Had it with Saving Private Ryan and 1 of me mates said “It’s a pisser when Tom Hanks dies”. Cheers you fecker ;p

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 20:39.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Ah that earwax shifting is so satisfying, I had a raisin sized lump squirted out of my right ear about five years ago, it was heaven!! I wish I could have both ears done every week.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 23:44.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

I got the platinum on that ages ago when I collapsed but didn’t wake up the entire house. You’ve got to learn these subtle little things. That said, I’m glad the whole house didn’t wake up as my pants were down at the time. #CollapsedWhilstTakingAPiss

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 20:47.
      • blast71
        Since: May 2012

Ha! Pmsl at that!

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 21:37.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

I had it two weeks ago, got up out of bed, wobbled, and pole axed head first in to the door.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 21:47.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

My mate collapses when he pisses! Something to do with artery compression, it’s an actual condition and sitting down for a wee prevents it!

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 23:41.
  7. TSBonyman

After a bit of a struggle, mostly caused by blowing myself up using rockets and cluster grenades in confined spaces, i finally reached the 4th elevator in Neon Chrome and in fact would have reached the 5th if i hadn’t by that stage picked up a buff for my weapon which made the first clip of each reload an explosive shot. Standing in a doorway to snipe the boss i really misjudged the angle as i took that shot. And blew myself up.

I had planned on getting through some PSVR games – and then grabbed a few more just before the summer sale ended – but No Man’s Sky got an update and that’s my ‘new’ squeeze. PSVR is old hat now ;)

Actually PSVR’s prospects bright with regular game releases and more being announced all the time. It’s encouraging to see new developers making the leap into VR and especially with some developers going on to do a second VR project.

Comment posted on 19/08/2017 at 02:32.
  8. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Drive club bikes, Horizon ZD and Killzone on my new PS4! Also some lovely backwards compatible Tomb Raider Underworld on Xbox.

Comment posted on 19/08/2017 at 07:06.
  9. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I just celebrated the reunion with my consoles after being on holidays for 2 weeks. That meant some more Fallout 4, but I really have to finish this now one way or another, otherwise I’ll be fed up soon and will quit before I see the end of the story.
    I guess I desperately need some non-open world game now and relax by following a clearly set path through a story, maybe play Wolfenstein or something like it from my backlog.

Comment posted on 19/08/2017 at 08:17.