You

What We Played #322 - Knack 2, PES 18 & Destiny 2

Falling leaves.

So it’s beginning. The autumnal surge of fresh software that’s hoping to find its way into Santa’s sack come December (either way, you’re paying). We’ve had the first of EA’s big hitters with Madden 18 – I can’t overstate how much fun I had with the newly added Longshot story mode – while FIFA, NHL and NBA line up in the wings.

While they’re here every year, it feels as though EA know they actually have to put in some serious effort these days. They’ve managed to shrug off much of their reputation as some kind of gaming industry bogey-man, and instead are just plugging away at being one of the largest publishers we have, with software that mostly deserves to be there. Of course, we’ll see how FIFA on Switch and NBA Live 18 fare before stowing our pitchforks firmly away, but it’s nice to see a publisher change perceptions enough that it’s judged purely on its merits, rather than just its legacy.

I’ve been trying not to spend any money on Madden’s Ultimate Team, I’ve also been ploughing through Everybody’s Golf and Knack 2, both of which have brightened up my week. Besides that, I accidentally found I’d bought Destiny 2, after failing to cancel the copy I ordered to get into the beta. I’m really enjoying the return to this world, which so far has been much better fleshed out in its opening hours than the entirety of the original game. It’s come at just the right time too, before too many more of big releases start to appear.

Someone who was meant to get Destiny 2 all along was Tef, and it’s basically been all that he’s played since it released on Wednesday, where he gave us some very early impressions. Before that, however, he was all in on the Splatfest over the weekend, though sadly backed the wrong team again (he claims he would have picked Flight, but wanted to stick with friends for team battles), and has continued to enjoy Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Dave has bought an HTC Vive to finally join the VR revolution. He spent a little time with Rez Inifinite’s Area X, and came away a little queasy but enjoyed it. It’s all about building up your tolerance! Besides that he’s been catching up on Gamescom writing, and made a start on the 3DS’ Samus Returns.

TC tried to fight the pull of Destiny 2 – even his card wouldn’t let him buy it which was a sure sign it wasn’t meant to be – yet here he is, levelling up his Guardian once again. He also reviewed X-Morph: Defense which he rather enjoyed. Jake’s also been at Destiny 2, though to an extent that he’s “losing his life to it” and has had four hours sleep since launch! Other than that, he’s played some more Pokémon Go and caught the new legendary Entei this week and played a few placement matches on Overwatch, as the new season just began.

Steve has played through Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound, which apparently is good but not without its problems, Metronomicon which is ok but a bit grindy, ugly and repetitive; and Bulletstorm: Full Clip on PS4. He loved the original on 360 and enjoying the hell out of revisiting its sweary vistas. Besides that he passed a few commutes with the fun We’re All Doomed courtesy of PS+ and also began the interesting Songbringer. Finally a cheap Final Fantasy XV found on eBay may put pay to his plan to avoid epic time-sinks.

Aran played PES 18 and Yakuza Kiwami with his PES 18 review landing next week. He’s enjoying Kiwami but it hasn’t quite reached the heights of Yakuza 0. Still, he’s having fun with the sub stories and the Majima Everywhere fighting system. Miguel has been distracting himself with Rabi Ribi and Fire Emblem Heroes while he waits for his very own copy of Yakuza Kiwami to arrive. He also messed with the new Overwatch deathmatch mode and played some Absolver with his pals!

Kris has a tale of woe to share – though only for fans of food;

I have played loads of Just Cause 3. Like an amount that could be considered concerning. I played it for 10 and a half hours straight on Saturday, almost entirely forgetting to eat. It’s very, very good and loads of fun. The main story is, perhaps, a little weak, but it’s saved by strong, distinct characters and the utter chaos you can cause because you got a bit bored for 30 seconds. Raining down missiles from above in a helicopter is excellent. The only small issue is it does start to chug a bit under pressure on PS4, but it’s still great in general

While Jim has been bouncing between a few games. Absolver continues to be somewhat of a curiosity but he’s going to wait to see how the community breaks it apart instead of fumbling his way through the endgame. He’s also been playing some Monster Hunter Stories for review alongside the awful Dead Alliance, Sparc, and Baja HD. It’s Uncharted 4 that has him hooked though, as he attempts to beat it on Crushing.

Now then, what have you played?

1. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Been quite enjoying Rigs since it was on PS+. Surprised it doesn’t make me throw up, once I turned off all the things that are supposed to prevent that. Quite fun, but a lack of people playing. Games with maybe 3 real people and 3 bots aren’t great.

And I foolishly bought Resident Evil 7 since it was on sale and works in VR. It’s great, but I need new pants. Cheap jump scares actually work in VR. And all the insects and spiders and things. May take me a while to finish it.

Also Star Trek Bridge Crew. Lacking in content, but enormous fun. Even with random people. Playing on the original Enterprise with the absolutely rubbish interface (the helm has a grid of 36 buttons, and only 14 of them do anything) was the funniest thing I’ve experienced in ages. The captain was busy admiring his boots. Engineering was making loud vaping noises. And helm and tactical kept trying to hold hands. And there was a small fire in the ceiling. Somehow we didn’t die.

Only game I’ve ever played where “Er, guys?? What am I doing?” wasn’t met with swearing, but friendly laughter and thoughts of “I don’t know, but if you work it out, let me know because that could be useful information”. And the hands! The hands that sometimes go weird and unnatural.

Definitely worth a go for £25 at the moment.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 17:46.
    • MOVE
      Since: Mar 2010

VR sounds more and more appealing to me for every week that passes.

How is online working in general in VR games and are there many games with an online component?

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:38.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Online in VR games works just as well as in any other game.

There’s not a huge number of online VR games though, since there’s not a huge number of VR games yet. Farpoint has a co-op mode I haven’t tried yet. This months PS+ thing Rigs works great online, but there’s a lack of players. Eve Valkyrie is an online thing that I need to have a look at soon.

And obviously Star Trek Bridge Crew has a stupidly entertaining online mode. (That’s got cross-platform play with PC too – you know, that thing people keep having a good whinge about lately because apparently Sony won’t allow it ;)

Sounds like you’re at that point where you might want to avoid actually having a go with one unless you’ve got the money to spend (on the PSVR itself, plus the camera and ideally a couple of Move controllers). Trying it for real is a dangerous move if you can’t afford it ;)

Not as dangerous as trying to explain the rules of 3d chess while waiting for people to join a Star Trek game though. Punching furniture and leaving bits of skin behind while waving arms about enthusiastically is not a good idea.

I don’t even know the rules! I’ve got a vague idea that “the Space Bishop can only move diagonally or back in time”. Apparently “King’s bishop to 1832” is a valid move.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:59.
  2. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

After 4 months of not playing much else but gradually getting an overdose, I finally managed to finish off Fallout 4. Excellent game overall, but I should’ve done fewer side quests and less exploration and in the end, it becomes a choice between equally inaccepable options.

In between, I quickly had a go at Oxenfree from my backlog, which I’ll definitely continue, as it has a lot of spooky atmosphere.

And then I completely ignored my backlog and got myself Elite Dangerous, so I’ll be playing that for some years from now…

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 17:47.
  3. Tony Cawley
    Pint! Pint!

Destiny 2 and lots of it. Need I say more?

I think this will be my response to this article every week for the next few months. I can’t see any other games getting a look in.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 18:18.
  4. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Mostly Knack II this week for me and what a massive improvement it is over the original (which I very much enjoyed playing too, despite it’s shortcomings).

It’s a bizarre concept for sure but there’s something quite charming about the Knack games. Of course the narrative is absurd but they have at least tried to add some weight and depth to the proceedings this time around. It’s quirky and odd (a good odd, I think) and the games are expertly crafted and fun to play.

Every feature from the original game has been upgraded and refined, including the godawful checkpoint system (thank goodness).

Gameplay is vastly improved and feels much more responsive and varied than before.

The score is also excellent and as mentioned in the TSA review, is very reminiscent of the Uncharted score in places.

Overall I’m very happy with Knack II. It is a much better game than the original (so far at least). I’m not sure I will ever think of Knack in the same way I feel about other, more cherished, platformers but there is still ‘something’ about it (a good something).

I also completed RE: Revelations and thought it was fantastic. I ordered RE: Revelations 2 as soon as the credits started rolling and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I hear the two games are quite different but the first game succeeded in reviving my interest in the RE series (excluding RE7 of course, which is very much it’s own thing).

A thrilling week of gaming all round I’d say.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 18:31.
  5. Pixel_nme
    Since: Mar 2014

We’ll was going to go for my 40th platinum to go with my 40th Birthday last Saturday,was going to go with a nice easy one like Game of Thrones that never materialised :),did some of the usual weekly co-op though missed out on GTAV but managed Alienation followed by EBG and in a change of day last night Wildlands,in between blasted through the story of Destiny 2 with my Hunter started Knack 2 nice improvement over the first so far,few games of Fortnite and EBG and tonight should see me resume GTAV co-op madness.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 18:42.
    • TSBonyman

Happy 40th kid! :)

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:26.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Cheers ;)

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:53.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Happy birthday!

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 04:05.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Thanks;)

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 05:12.
    • DividSmythe
      Since: May 2012

Yes happy birthday dude.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 09:04.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Thanks muchly ;)

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 12:30.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Happy birthday..! You’re still young, unlike some others here… ;o)

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 14:44.
      • Pixel_nme
        Since: Mar 2014

Lol cheers ;D

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 14:58.
  6. MOVE
    Since: Mar 2010

Just about to finish my time with Uncharted: Lost Legacy. I’m going for some interesting silver trophies but not the platinum – there’s no way I will ever complete it on crushing as I hate trial and error.

It was of course a great game but apart for some interesting adjustments and expanding when driving around to find the Hoysala thingies, it was very much Uncharted Greatest Hits. I feel they have milked this series dry no matter how much they claim that there are several stories to tell yet.

After that it’s back to finish Horizon: Zero Dawn. Yup, I bought at release and played it for a few hours only to let it rest until late July – I’m not really sure why.

Anyways I love it; the universe, the robot animals, the story arc and the side missions (they are actually really really interesting for the most part). Only downfall are the characters; despite living in the wilderness with one person, she’s apparently a lot more insightful and wise than everyone else… Also, everybody else sucks at taking down robots now that she is here but back in the day they must have doing fine to make it to “this day”. I know there is mentioning about how the robots have become more aggressive but still…

Well I’m not done with the story and side missions yet but I doubt that part will change for the better. To be fair, I consider RPGs to be a genre that is inferior to action adventure games in delivering interesting characters. Simply because the interaction between the characters is a part of the gameplay thus it comes in bits or hacks (hmm, what answer/question to choose now). A part from those “issues” I absolutely love it and will be looking forward to the expansion once it drops in price (I’m not preordering something with 10% discount when the US gets 25% preorder discount).

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:36.
  7. tactical20

Still playing the Jak & Daxter game I got for free with Uncharted. Think I’m nearing the end now. It’s getting fiddly! Can’t believe how much I’ve enjoyed it tbh!

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 19:36.
  8. TSBonyman

Life Goes On – Done To Death, a bargain in the store sale this week and i’ve enjoyed what i played so far.

Hatoful Boyfriend – i have no idea … whatsoever. I pecked at X repeatedly (pigeon sim?) to skip through the dialogue so that i could get to the actual game, then noticed i could tap triangle to FFWD and a short while later a trophy popped up telling me i had completed the game – with the bad ending! xD

Had a few goes at We are Doomed, seems like the perfect shooter to jump into for the occasional quick blast.

I’m still hammering away at Neon Chrome, nearing the end … but it’s probably not actually the end at all, just a prologue to playing the game ‘proper’.

And in No Man’s Sky, i found this cactus.. http://i.imgur.com/RSENA3N.png

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 20:08.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Lol, quite funny the visual novel sort of played itself..! Happened to me before, expecting gameplay and pressing x for a while, then I realised there isn’t any. Unfortunately, with one I bought, Steins Gate.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 14:45.
  9. aerobes

Completed Horizon Zero Dawn, a competent if unspectacular adventure. A fun and beautiful play area with wonderfully realised enemies let down by slightly awkward combat, mediocre story and I wasn’t particularly drawn to Aloy as a protagonist and certainly had no interest in saving the world and the bastards that inhabit it. Nevertheless I’d be interested in a sequel.

PES demo which continues to impress me tiny nuances and fluid animation and gameplay.

Sniper Ghost Warrior which I’m enjoying in spite of its numerous issues. It’s a long way from amazing but the main thing they got right is the shooting which is excellent thankfully.

Not too much gaming forthcoming with the impending hurricane. I’m in Bonita Springs, FL so I have other priorities right now.

Comment posted on 08/09/2017 at 20:22.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

Hope you and your family stay safe.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 00:14.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Yeah all the best, hope you all get through it safely.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 05:48.
    • DividSmythe
      Since: May 2012

How you’ll all be fine out there.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 09:14.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

Oops typo *Hope

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 14:24.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Hope you stay safe.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 14:48.
    • aerobes

Thanks for all the well wishing. The forecast is pretty dire quite frankly but I feel like everything is in place personally so now just wait for Irma to complete her natural task.

Until that time however, more PES.

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 19:21.
  10. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

I finished Zelda on Monday night, wow. I think it’s rare that a such a top quality game let’s you get lost in farting around for days on end, especially in such a rich and beautiful world, my personal yardstick is GTA5 and this met it easily. The story and presentation was perfect, classically innocent and still compelling, spot on for Nintendo and I’m glad they haven’t lost that. I’ve never really enjoyed RPGs before so it’s nice to come across two in a year that are light on the levelling up but heavy on the action and exploration, and not Mass Effect which attracts way too much criticism. Blah blah superlatives, you’re all bored of me now. It’s my favourite game of the year, I saved the day and enjoyed every moment along the way, it’s been incredible :)

Comment posted on 09/09/2017 at 04:33.