You

What We Played #330 – Xbox One X, Wolfenstein II & The Frozen Wilds

Ready for X-mas.

It’s been a hectic week – despite having five days off! I’ve been ploughing through some of the remastered material for the Xbox One X, starting with Rush: A Disney-Pixar Adventure, through to Disneyland Adventures, and Zoo Tycoon, before also getting through the X’s sole launch title; Super Lucky’s Tale. I’ve also played the distinctly brown Spintires: MudRunner, had a spot of multiplayer with the boy on Lego Ninjago and Rayman Legends and carried on with the fantastic Super Mario Odyssey. I finally started putting my new PC through its paces with some Halo Wars 2 and Dawn of War III while in the real world we also played Game of Thrones Monopoly for game night!

Speaking of Microsoft’s games, Tef has been busying himself with reviewing the Xbox One X this past week – when he wasn’t at Paris Games Week playing stuff like Blood & Truth and Detroit: Become Human – and while he found it to be a truly impressive piece of hardware, really feels that Microsoft need to bring many more exclusives to the table to really make it worthwhile. If you’re counting pixels, want UHD Blu-ray and have the cash to splash though, it makes for a great new most powerful games console.

Dave has been playing Super Mario Odyssey, and has collected well over 300 moons in a variety of ways. Besides that he’s completed the main quest and loved it the entire way through. Then a certain Bobcat came along to stamp all over his sense of wonderment by being a decidedly mediocre game that lasted a merciful two hours. He also has Morphite which has a bit of a No Man’s Sky vibe to it thus far but he’s not played enough for a review yet.

Jim hasn’t been really feeling it this week;

There’s been a shocking lack of gaming on my part this week. Even with Super Mario Odyssey in arm’s reach, it’s been hard to drum up the enthusiasm for anything that isn’t multiplayer based. Luckily, Overwatch has continued to keep me entertained and I managed to get all but one of those snazzy Halloween outfits. Elsewhere I’ve been dabbling with Raw Data for PlayStation VR, a solid wave-based shooter that definitely deserves more attention.

It’s been more Just Cause 3 for Kris though while he likes the story, he doesn’t really like the story missions that much. Freeing settlements is much more fun! Jake has also been indulging in Super Mario Odyssey, while he has also been wearing in his new Scuf controller with Destiny 2. Tuffcub meanwhile has played Sine More EX on PS4, which is seemingly much, much easier than playing it on PS Vita, which he’s done in the past. He’s also managed a bit of Destiny 2, and has entered The Frozen Wilds of Horizon: Zero Dawn, with more on that for his review next week. He is feeling a little guilty about not playing Titanfall 2, but Destiny 2 has replaced it as his go-to shooter to relax after a hard days work.

Aran has played Wolfenstein 2 for review, which he thought was very good, as well as an adventure game called The Inner World The Last Wind Monk for review, which could have been better. Finally he returned to Nier Automata where he’s trying to crack on with the main quest.

Finally, Miguel has had an epic week of gaming along with some birthday shenanigans;

This week I playe a mess of random 3DS stuff on my 7 hour train rides to and from NYC for my birthday weekend. Messed with an old Etrian Odyssey 4 save, played and LOVED Dragonball Fusions, briefly started Laytons Mystery Journey and played a little more Rhythm Heaven Fever.

The day before my birthday I played Doki Doki Literature Club, an amazing, well-written, psychologically terrifying and FREE 4-hour visual novel on Steam that everyone should play. It’s easily my favourite pure visual novel ever, and one of my favorite games of the year. I also played Yomawari Midnight Shadows and Demon Gaze 2!

Now then, what have you played? And are you getting an Xbox One X next week?

1. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

The backlog shrank by another 1%, or however much a big chunk of horizon zero dawn makes. Finally got into the game, after a pretty but disappointing start.

And more of Rez. Boss rush mode is my next target there.

The latest sale is probably going to ruin all my backlog progress. But it’s my birthday today, so I might as well treat myself. That’s my excuse anyway.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:25.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Happy Birthday..! May the force to resist all sales temptations be with you..!

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:46.
    • TSBonyman

Happy Birthday kid!

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:47.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

This week, I was watching Blade Runner again, and then Blade Runner 2049. Now, that is a sequel done right for once, what a visual feast…!

Gaming-wise I’m approaching the end of the storyline of Wolfenstein: The New Order, which is really surprisingly good. They even managed to squeeze some depth in.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:52.
      • Andrewww
        Since: Jan 2010

Well, that wasn’t meant as a reply…

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:54.
    • JR.
      Since: Apr 2013

Happy Birthday MrYd! Hope you have a day that’s as fabulous as you are x

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 17:59.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Happy birthday! Hope you’re having a good one!
      I’m boring, just more Wolfenstein. Only the final boss to go now but the last level has been a big step upon difficulty and enjoyment so I might start again and do it all in one session.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 18:44.
    • Pixel_nme
      Since: Mar 2014

Happy belated birthday sausage ;)

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 02:57.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Now I’m back and able to type more than 3 words at a time without swearing at a phone…

Thanks for all the happy birthday stuff. You do realise it’ll only encourage me though? “Happy birthday” leads to me posting more rambling posts about anything I see. “Piss off, old man” would have stopped that.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Ok, actually, I didn’t warn you. I tricked you all!

And technically it probably wouldn’t have worked anyway. I’m 46 now. There’s no shutting me up. I’m off to complain about how a thing isn’t the same thing as it used to be now.

Comment posted on 06/11/2017 at 10:28.
  2. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

So this week I completed Shadow of War which was ABSOLUTELY not as awful overall as I first thought. It’s still awful don’t get me wrong but it did have some redeeming factors. Namely the side missions which were really quite fun. The biggest problem I had with the game (aside from the loot) was that it was completely forgettable. In fact if it wasn’t for this article reminding me, I’d have forgotten I’d even played it. So no platinum sadly but I did manage to reach 72% trophy completion, which isn’t half bad.

Other than that I completed Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek. Yeah, me neither… but it was actually a fun little point and click murder/mystery. They’re really quite addictive. I downloaded the second chapter as soon as I finished the first, from the PSN sale.

Outside of gaming, I recently started watching House of Cards on Netflix. It’s funny how a celebrity sex scandal can introduce you to a new show. Yes, I’ve heard the unfortunate revelations in the news recently about Kevin Spacey but I’m really enjoying the show so far. Season two opener, wow – did not see that coming. Great actor. And hey, he didn’t fiddle with me (or any children – I hope) so I can’t hold it against him. Everyone fiddles with everyone in Hollywood it would seem. They should call it Fiddlewood from now on :D

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 18:55.
  3. tactical20

AC origins. It’s not scratching the AC itch, but I’m still enjoying it, mainly because of the setting. It’s incedibly vast, so hoping it doesn’t get boring.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 19:16.
  4. TSBonyman

Quite a bit to log this week..
    I completed Uncharted Lost Legacy and while the final gameplay sequence was disappointingly familiar, overall i really enjoyed it. 8/10

Then a few hours of No Man’s Sky, leveling up my mercenary rank in order to progress the storyline.

And some attempts at Binding of Isaac, usually dying in the last level but i still enjoy dipping into it regularly.

Then i decided i should tackle some backlog, starting with Firewatch, which i had previously abandoned after playing the first day. So i played the second day and it was okay.

On to Shadow Complex next, another game i had abandoned after spending an hour or so with it. I played a few hours, picked up a few more upgrades and it was fine. I might play a few more hours in another few months time.

Next up, The Last Guardian which i had abandoned after reaching one particularly infuriating instance of the fixed camera introducing absolute mayhem to the control system. So, I reinstalled it and loaded it up to face this demon again. After another twenty attempts i had to stop because there was a chance the little old lady who lives next door to me would call the police, such were my cries of anguish and frustration.

Back to Firewatch, another day and the characters are revealing more about themselves so that’s kind of interesting.

Then i tried The Ministry of Time VR, unfortunately i think i must have missed something or hit a glitch because i found all the required numbers but still couldn’t unlock the door.

Then i picked up Prey . I’m enjoying pretty much everything about it so far so it’s unlikely i’ll play much else until i complete it.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 22:10.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

I tried that same odd VR thing and also got stuck trying to input the numbers. Until realising the solution was right there by the keypad.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 23:22.
      • TSBonyman

Hmm, i guess i’ll have to take another look at that MrYd.

Ron, it was a section where you grab a chain and run off a ledge, causing the chain to swing across the chamber, whilst you climb up and get to the correct side to jump off onto a raised ledge, all whilst the armoured suits fling emblems at you. I’ll give it another go once my blood pressure drops ;)

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 10:27.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

I think I know what you mean, is/was there a bridge in the middle? Spear issues too? If it’s the part I’m thinking of is one of two places I resorted to YouTube.

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 10:56.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

Which bit are you stuck on in The Last Guardian? I found the camera occasionally aggravating but it didn’t break the game or spoil the experience, shame you’ve come across that :(

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 10:00.
  5. Steelhead
    Since: Oct 2013

Mainly Final Fantasy XIV. Still using the free trial so my conjuror class can’t continue passed level 35 yet. I’m currently trying out the pugilist class, it’s a big change from conjuror but fun, currently at level 17.

Also tried out Moon Hunters on Switch. Finished my first playthrough, not sure quite what to make of it yet but I’ll definitely be delving back in as soon as I can find the time.

Comment posted on 03/11/2017 at 22:21.
  6. flyingcowie
    Since: Feb 2017

I have been mostly watching an Xbox one X try to load COD unsuccessfully as well as falling off the world a lot in super mario odyssey on switch. Damn ice and high ledges.
    Also still playing stardew valley which I highly recommend if you wish to be unproductive in life..

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 11:30.
  7. Ade
    Since: Jul 2017

I’ve been ploughing through Assassin’s Creed Origins. It’s, in my opinion, the best in the series yet. *SHOCK* *HORROR* *EXPLETIVES*
    The setting is stunningly well realised and a joy to explore. In fact, the next Playing with History I’ll be looking at when and when Ubisoft can take the series to next which will match Ancient Egypt.

The other day I overhead one of the villagers talking about how, in the south, they ride war hippos. WAR HIPPOS. Man, I really hope I get to ride up the side of the Great Pyramid of Giza on a hippo.

Comment posted on 04/11/2017 at 12:25.