10 Million Nintendo Switches Have Been Sold In Just 9 Months

Switched on.

Nintendo have announced another truly impressive milestone for the Nintendo Switch, stating that their console has managed to sell 10 million units to customers in just 9 months, doing so before the end of the typically busy Christmas shopping period.

That’s a dramatic turn around compared to the Wii U, and means that the Switch is on course to surpass its unloved predecessor in well under a year. To put another angle on things, it also means that the Switch isn’t just tracking the PlayStation 4’s meteoric first year, it’s actually selling faster. It’s not quite an apples to apples comparison, but the PlayStation 4 has sold through 10 million consoles by mid-August 2014, 10 months after its November 2013 launch.

Nintendo of Europe President Satoru Shibata said, “We are thrilled that fans all across Europe and around the world are enjoying the gameplay experiences that only Nintendo Switch can offer,” and it’s true that the Switch has largely built its initial base on key titles such as Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. 2018 is also looking to have a strong line up, with games like Bayonetta 2, Dragon Quest Builders, Wolfenstein II and Project Octopath Traveller from Square Enix. Doubtless Nintendo have a few other surprises up their sleeves.

Source: press release

1. TSBonyman

Phenomenal numbers, well played!

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 14:53.
    • BossHog
      Since: Sep 2017

Shipped, not sold. Just saying…

Comment posted on 19/12/2017 at 23:30.
  2. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Puts all the doubters and sceptical commenters from earlier on in the year in a different light.

Really glad it’s doing well. An amazing bit of kit, and the games support has been phenomenal. Here’s to 2018!

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 15:31.
  3. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

I do quite fancy one, but by the time i factor in the games i want plus the pro controller (heard the Joy cons attached as a pad are useless) its just way too expensive.

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 16:07.
    • Stefan L
      Community Team

The Joy-Con attached as a pad are not useless. They’re not quite as good as a Pro Controller for TV play, because the sticks and buttons are smaller to enable portability, but you can still play with them just as well so it’s down to comfort. I know a few people who actually like to play with split Joy-Con in hand.

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 16:39.
      • leeroye
        Since: May 2012

I would only use it attached to a TV. Theres no way i would be able to use the JoyCons, i would have to have the pro controller and that adds £70 to the price straight away.

Comment posted on 13/12/2017 at 08:45.
  4. Ade
    Since: Jul 2017

Sorry Nintendo you’ll be getting no money from me. I’m far too aware that I have little to no willpower and will, with the option of taking the console with me wherever I go and whatever I do, become far too horribly addicted to the latest Mario and Zelda. Yes, that’s right, your console is too tempting for me to buy.

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 16:42.
  5. mclarenrob2
    Since: Jul 2012

I really don’t get why it’s so popular. Who has time to play games on the go anyway? And it’s a sub par home console…

Comment posted on 12/12/2017 at 21:05.
  6. Eldave0
    andUandU

Thoroughly deserved. I’ve never known such a solid first year of a console’s life cycle.

Comment posted on 13/12/2017 at 11:16.
10 hours ago