[UPDATE] Activision Update Their FAQ Regarding The Black Ops IIII Season Pass

UPDATE: Well that was quick, Activision have updated the FAQ to say that you will be able to buy the Season Pass.

6. Can I buy Black Ops Pass as a standalone product?
Black Ops Pass will be available as a standalone offering at a later date.

The original story follows.

A new FAQ on the Activision Support website has revealed that the DLC for Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII will not be on sale in separate packs as it has been in the past, the only way to get the DLC is to purchase the Season Pass.

Q: Will I be able to buy parts of Black Ops Pass content individually, like DLC Map Packs from previous Call of Duty games?
A: No. The contents included in Black Ops Pass may only be purchased as a bundle.

This does mean that Activision does not fragment the player base and everyone has access to all the released content, but it’s certainly a punch in the wallet for those buying the game on day one. However, the bigger news is you can’t buy the standard edition of the game and then buy the Season Pass separately.

Q: Can I buy Black Ops Pass as a standalone product?
A: Currently, no. The only way to get Black Ops Pass is through the Digital Deluxe, Digital Deluxe Enhanced, and Pro Editions of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.

What if you’ve already pre-ordered the base game in digital formats?

Q: I’ve already pre-ordered the physical base version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. How can I upgrade to get the Black Ops Pass content?
A: If you pre-ordered the physical base version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, return to your retailer to upgrade your pre-order to an edition that includes Black Ops Pass.

But what if you were given the bog standard physical version of the game as a gift at Christmas, surely you can buy the pass then? Well the FAQ is a little unclear.

Q:If I decide I want Black Ops Pass after Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is released, how do I upgrade my version of the game?

A: PlayStation 4 North America: If you own a copy of the game, you can upgrade your version to the Digital Deluxe or Digital Deluxe Enhanced edition through the PSN Store to receive the Black Ops Pass.
PlayStation 4 Europe and Xbox One: If you own a copy of the game, you can purchase a separate upgrade to your base version through the PSN Store or Xbox Store to receive the Black Ops Pass.
PC: If you own a copy of the game, you can upgrade your version to the Digital Deluxe or Digital Deluxe Enhanced edition through Battle.net to receive the Black Ops Pass.

So that seems to indicate if you have a physical copy of the base game you can “purchase a separate upgrade” – or Season Pass as it’s known everywhere else – to upgrade to the Black Ops Pass, at least if your on Xbox One or PS4 in Europe. In America it seems you get a full digital version of the game as well.

We have contacted Activision to see if they can clarify how this will work for those who buy the physical version of the base game.

Source: Activision via Charlie Intel

1. Pitcher-T
    Since: Jan 2009

Just….why……

How come call of duty has experienced the backlash that Battlefront 2 had. They seem to be doing so much worse antics and more often.

I can’t wait until season pass goes the way of the online pass.

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 18:17.
  2. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

So, in summary, you now can’t do this thing you have a name for, understand and find familiar, you Luddite! However, you can do very slightly not the exact same thing if you follow an uncannily similar process to how that original and much, but definitely not, the same thing worked – except this new but largely identical thing is now, for reasons you are not worthy of understanding, called something else. And we’re sure you agree the new thing is better and won’t hurt sales at all, although you’ll expect it to, it definitely won’t, no sir! In fact, please pay more.

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 18:19.
  3. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

It’s on the store to pre-order for the usual silly price, along with the upgrades. 25 quid to upgrade to the digital deluxe edition and get the blops pass.

So the usual price for the season pass then? And everything you’d expect to find in a season pass? So why not call it that?? Muppets.

You can also upgrade to the “enhanced” edition for £25/50 (from the standard or deluxe edition). And that gets you some CoD points. And possibly some other crap, but by that point I was past caring. I wonder if the other crap includes a single player campaign?

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 18:29.
  4. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

Also, they’ve already changed things. It now says “Black Ops Pass will be available as a standalone offering at a later date” in answer to “Can I buy Black Ops Pass as a standalone product?”

Presumably it’ll be available by the time the first DLC appears.

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 18:32.
  5. TSBonyman

Have they clarified why it’s unconventionally named BLOPS IIII and not BLOPS IV? Are they that hung up on symmetry for their logo? :)

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 19:48.
    • JR.
      Since: Apr 2013

It could be that most of the people who play BLOPS don’t know what IV actually means. I know someone who used to work at GAME and she told me the number of people who came into the store and asked for GTA “Ivy” (IV) was insane. They should be able to avoid this with BLOPS IIII – unless they ask for BLOPS “Eye, eye, eye, eye” …

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 21:33.
    • MrYd
      Since: Mar 2011

Both IV and IIII are acceptable. Even if IV is more common these days. But both used to be acceptable, sometimes even in the same sentence, apparently.

So why not pick the correct, if slightly less common, one and get lots of publicity from people going “Oooh, IIII is wrong, because IV exists, and nobody could possibly have 2 ways of writing the same number. And it’s obviously more important than the lack of single player mode, because we weren’t taught about that at school”

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 21:45.
      • TSBonyman

I should have guessed that your proficiency with numbers wasn’t just limited to the numbers themselves! ;)

Does IIII predate IV and was it the Romans who defined the latter?

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 22:20.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

The Romans used IIII and IV pretty much at random, I think. One or the other, sometimes both. Sometimes VIIII for 9, instead of IX too.

As far as I know, IIII was possibly invented first, but someone soon realised it’s harder to tell the difference between III and IIII than it is between III and IV, so the subtractive form was invented. Presumably fairly quickly, once they realised IIII was a bit silly.

But both forms (and for all sorts of numbers, not just 4) were common for Romans, and a long time after. Right up into the 20th century, I guess. I was taught that IV was the proper way, but IIII was also vaguely acceptable at school. Best part of 40 years ago, I guess.

The weird one is clocks. Plenty of examples of those being weird. Wells Cathedral, apparently. 14th century clock on it, with both IIII for 4, and IX for 9. So a mix of both forms.

Admiralty Arch in London too. Has the year 1910 written on it. Written as MDCCCCX instead of MCMX.

So the additive form probably came before the subtractive form, possibly not by long. The Romans used both for whatever reason they liked. And it’s only very recently that the idea that one form is “wrong” appeared.

That was longer than I was expecting.

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 22:47.
      • JR.
        Since: Apr 2013

Interesting. Henceforth thou shall be know as Ydipedia.

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 23:12.
      • TSBonyman

Thanks for your informative and interesting reply.
        My additional thoughts are that naturally IV was simpler and quicker to scribe and took up less space. While IIII was probably when you were at the bar and ordering drinks while pointing to your buddies – i’ll have I,I,I,I pints innkeeper!

Comment posted on 13/06/2018 at 23:51.
      • MrYd
        Since: Mar 2011

Yes, there’s also the fact that IV only contains 3 lines and IIII contains 4. Which is quicker in some cases, such as if you’re carving it into stone. (I’m not convinced that’d be the case with modern writing implements where the V probably takes the same time to write as 3 Is, at best. 3 straight lines, or 2 lines where you’ve got to change direction and do fiddly diagonals?)

And it’s even more of a saving if you want to add serifs.

Comment posted on 14/06/2018 at 10:21.