You

What We Played #365 – Octopath Traveler, God of War & FIFA 18

Well the World Cup dream is over for England, but it’s been a glorious few weeks for football. It’s been so good that I’ve bought my own copy of FIFA for the first time in twenty years, albeit on the Switch, so I don’t feel like I’ve completely fallen off the wagon. My Madden Ultimate Team addiction may not translate well though.

Besides that I checked out Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Switch, reviewed Danger Zone 2, made a start on Earthfall, and decided that I should start mopping up my PS4 backlog, which saw me return to the very beginning with Killzone: Shadow Fall. It’s amazing how far things have progressed in just a few years, but it still has its moments.

Tef checked out the other half of the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker release, playing it on 3DS, and shared his thoughts on the upcoming The Bard’s Tale IV and We Happy Few. Most of this week was dominated by playing Octopath Traveler, sharing his thoughts here ahead of a fuller review next week.

Finishing off God of War, Ade said, “It was very good and the twist made me go ‘ooohhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuu – dge’. He also played Blacksea Odyssey for review but sadly that was not so good. Jason meanwhile started Resident evil 5 again: “It’s a great co op game and is just an immense amount of fun to play.” Other than that he’s also been sinking a lot of time into Eternal on mobile, where a new set of cards just got released, so he’s messing around with the new mechanics.

Tuffcub has been playing H1Z1, which is apparently still a good laugh, and mopping up side missions in Red Faction Guerrilla Re-mars-tered which also continues to be a lot of fun. “I should mention that now the game is out I’ve managed to play the multiplayer and that’s pretty good. I love that the destruction is also available in multiplayer so you can knock a building down whilst the opposing team are still it. Late to the party, but also been playing A Way Out in local co-op, what an excellent game”.

Aran has also been playing is God of War. “Really enjoying and taking my time to explore the world. It’s crafted very well. The little moments like hearing stories in the boat are great touches.” Jake has been in Turkey and played the entirety of Crash Bandicoot’s N.Sane Trilogy and All-Star Fruit Racing during cooler parts of the day. “I’ve been holding out on using the Switch too much here as I’m worried about it getting hot and physically cracking under pressure like it has done before!”

Jim has played a bunch of Octopath Traveller “which has been really fun despite some structural issues”. He’s also starting to wrap up his platinum playthrough of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy with the occasional Onrush session here and there. Meanwhile Miguel has played Shining Resonance Refrain, God Hand, Persona 4 Dancing, Hard Corps Uprising and “a weird old-ass shmup game called Parodius”. If that doesn’t make you feel old, then I don’t know what will.

Finally, Steve has been finishing off South Park: The Fractured but Whole. “Typical South Park humour,” he said, “if actually a bit mild compared to Stick of Truth. The more strategic combat is interesting, but I think Stick is the better and more coherent game.” He also picked up the season pass for Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 and is playing that with the 6 year old, who also has the new Adventure Time game to look forward to, which “Looks like a cross between Wind Waker and a JRPG.”

What about you? What have you played?

1. gernboes
    Since: Oct 2008

Besides expanding my criminal enterprise in GTA online, i picked back up and finished Final Fantasy XV, not far from the platinum now, the only things left are a bit of grinding and a large tortoise to kill.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 17:50.
  2. Crazy_Del

Played Life is Strange (thanks to PS plus) and nabbed the Platinum. My Mrs and I enjoyed playing the game and liking the rewind function.
    Started playing Heavy Rain on the PS4 (Again thanks to the PS Plus) I have completed it today and forgotten how awesome the story is. Going to mop up a few trophies tonight… will get the Platinum tomorrow.
    Played OnRush Demo and I am loving it…. will get it when I get paid hopefully before the deadline either on the PSN store or Amazon.
    And as usual a daily H1Z1 and won Solo again…. very satisfying!
    I’ve no idea what to play after I am finished with Heavy Rain.
    I have Fallout Shelter, Wolfenstien II, Prey and Far Cry Primal…. decisions decisions.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 17:51.
  3. MrYd
    Since: Mar 2011

All sorts this week.

Picked up Destiny 2 while it was on sale. Lots of fun really, even if for every thing they’ve improved over the original, they’ve done something not as good to make up for it.

Gave Defiance 2050 a go. It’s definitely a huge improvement over the original PS3 version, technically. Nowhere near as many problems. Except yesterday when enemies where teleporting all over the place. Which they shouldn’t do. Fun little game really. (And the theme tune is one of the great Bear McCreary’s best)

Rainbow Skies is still being more than a 5/10 game. Although Slimes can piss off. Yay! I’ve killed them! Oh, balls. There’s 2 of them now.

Plus it cooled down a little bit, so I had to dive back into Skyrim VR while the risk of my face melting was a bit lower. So far, there haven’t been any accidents. No NPCs have died of dragons and messed up a quest. And I resisted the urge to try and kill that bloody dog.

An update to Lumines Remastered gave me hope they’d fixed it, but no such luck. It’s still got an annoying delay between moving the blocks once and moving them 2 or more times. I’m sure the original didn’t do that.

And this weekend I shall hide in VR whatever the weather and hopefully not hear all those bloody planes flying overhead all weekend. The air tattoo thing at Fairford is about 4 miles away and stupidly noisy.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 18:06.
  4. hornet1990
    Since: Mar 2011

CoD:Infinite Warfare completed and deleted from the hard drive – thank god that’s over!

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 18:07.
  5. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Finished Vampyr this week (got the platinum) and REALLY enjoyed it.

There were a few annoyances (no fast travel / locked hints) but overall, I thought the gameplay and story were great and it had a fantastic atmosphere. It reminded me of a less polished, more open-world, The Order: 1886. Great stuff.

Also dipped my toe in with Fé and I’m not enjoying it one bit. It’s not the game I expected it to be from the trailers. Heavy on the art and light on fun.

Finally, Jurassic World. I’m a huge, huge fan of JP (except for the last one, it was awful) so I should be losing my mind over this game. It’s well made – I can’t fault the general design – but I’m just not feeling it.

I’ve spent over 20 hours with the game so far so it isn’t terrible by any means but I feel like you’re either really struggling to get the park up and running or your diving into mounds of gold like Scrooge McDuck – only with nothing to spend your cash on because you ran out of ground space to expand your park.

There are great moments of nostalgia though… the theme song playing over the title screen, the original voice actors, driving the original JP Jeep inside the Tyrannosaur paddock, authentic dinosaur models and SFX etc. However, these moments are short lived as the game is constantly badgering you to conplete mundane tasks to keep the park from spiralling out of control.

Too frequent feeding duties, healing sick ‘assets’, removing dead ‘assets’ (they actually just die), failed incubation attempts, unhappy ‘assets’ etc. are just a few grating examples and essentially turn these once revered and majestic creatures into high-maintenance nuisances.

I’m probably enjoying it more than I realize but I do wish the ‘fun’ factor was higher. But don’t listen to me anyway… I’ll probably think it the best game ever next week :)

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 18:32.
  6. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

Just a few hours of Gravity Rush 2 for me. I’ve arrived at the main city, the scale is phenomenal and it’s jaw dropping to look at! I love the comic strip cutscenes and the reveal of the shanty town as you fall out of the city was brilliant. Great game.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 19:33.
  7. TSBonyman

I tore a tendon in my shoulder so i didn’t get much gaming done. Just some NMS.
    The most annoying thing with this injury is that it’s quite manageable as long as i’m standing up/at work but if i go to sit down the pain creeps in and i could get only an hour or two sleep at night before waking in agony. Imagine that – having an injury where the worst option would be to take time off work and chew through some gaming backlog. That’s just not right! ;)
    Thankfully it seems to be on the mend a bit now and i had a much better sleep last night.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 19:53.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Ouch, hope you get better soon.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 22:51.
  8. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

I was quite annoyed by England dropping out, I thought they deserved even more.
    I played mostly Elite Dangerous, which is such a beautiful game. Every time I land in one of these space stations, I’m just left so impressed and think every sci-fi fan has to experience that.
    Then I replaced the lamp of my HD projector, which I use for gaming. It is an old Sanyo one, almost 10 years old, but one of the most reliable pieces of hardware I ever owned.

Comment posted on 13/07/2018 at 23:06.
    • TSBonyman

I was impressed with how the space stations look in ED – instantly transported me back to Arthur C. Clarkes’ Rama series. I just wish you could get out and explore them.

Comment posted on 14/07/2018 at 11:54.
  9. Pixel_nme
    Since: Mar 2014

Picked up the Onrush Platinum early Monday was a few races later on that where a bit of a git,like take out 12 enemies with a truck and win in the zones one forget name,trouble was when i did get 12 or more the AI would suddenly come back from 4-0 down to win 4-6 Lol,later was save the world time in Fortnite with the usual crew and again Wednesday due to folks on there hols and played some Defiance with some of the lads last night,in between as been bits n bobs of the Crew 2.

Comment posted on 14/07/2018 at 03:19.