Konami Announce Silent Hill 8

[Updated] Now with trailer.

Konami has announced that Silent Hill 8 is set to scare the pants off Xbox 360 and PS3 owners come 2011.  Players will once again find themselves “face to face with their deepest sins and fears in the strange world of Silent Hill.”

The survival horror experience begins after a prison transport vehicle crashes off the road, leaving lone inmate Murphy Pendleton stranded in Silent Hill.

The game is set to feature the usual blend of puzzles and horrific creatures – and fighting them off hasn’t gotten any easier as you will have to use what you have to hand, such as wooden chairs and glass bottles.  Fighting isn’t the only way though, as you are left with the age old decision of ‘fight or flight.’

In addition to the main storyline, players will also be presented with variable side quests along the way that can change depending on their play style, revealing unknown evils within the town.

UPDATE – the trailer has been added to the article.

Source: Press Release

Read more:
  1. sanmartinez

Silent Hill always was one of the freakiest survival horror games around, eager to see a trailer for this one

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 07:54.
  2. andytorr
    Since: Sep 2008

I miss Team Silent :( No doubt this will just as crap as every Silent Hill game post SH4. *sigh*

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 09:27.
  3. hobgoblin
    Since: Jan 2009

I think this series lost its’ way a bit after number 3. Here’s hoping part 8 gets it back on track.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 09:44.
  4. pitchforkdisney

Bahh – not optimistic…where have all the real scary games gone? Someone do me a Project Zero soon.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 10:01.
    • DrNate86
      Since: Apr 2010

Yes!! I would love another project zero, those games scared the crap out of me! That fecking Miyu and Mayu one aged me 10 years.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 10:13.
    • The_Only_Moggy
      Since: Apr 2010

I hear Amnesia: The Dark Decent coming out today on PC is supposed to be really scary. It just shows that what horror games need isn’t better combat systems or better designed monsters but no weapons, heard but not seen monsters, and a feeling of total and utter helplessness.
      Still, here’s hoping Konami can bring one of my all time favourite series from the brink.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 12:26.
    • jacklum

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is out today for the PC. It’s been described as the scariest game in years by a few reviews I’ve seen.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 23:24.
      • jacklum

Heh. Didn’t see the previous comment. Anyway, there’s a demo available as well, which is well worth checking out.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 23:27.
  5. aerobes

Any word on the developer? I wish they’d go back to Konami developing it for themselves.
    Quite how they let this once awesome series fall by the wayside is a massive shame. Hope they pull something out of the bag for this eighth iteration, I’m interested to see a trailer.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 10:39.
  6. Severn2j

Ehh, I’d like this to be great but the series has lost its way, imo.. If Team Silent are on board then great, but if it’s farmed out to some western dev team again, then count me out.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 11:11.
  7. scavenga

I could say I’m not gonna get this, but then I’d be lying to all my fellow TSA-enthusiasts.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 11:19.
  8. DRCD1

Hold on, hadn’t this been previously announced??? With Dexter music and a trailer? I’m confused.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 12:17.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Yes it was announced at E3, they’ve sent out PR now though.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 12:58.
  9. gully666uk
    Since: Sep 2010

I kinda feel the series lost it’s way.But I will be eager to see if it changes that.

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 12:25.
  10. Charmed_Fanatic

Sounds like an RPG!

Comment posted on 08/09/2010 at 12:48.