Today, Gamesindustry.biz posted a chart which ranks gaming websites based on their unique visits and their total pageviews (from UK traffic). As usual, TheSixthAxis was overlooked and not included in the charts (subscription required to view that link). We’re not sure why we’re overlooked in these things but we’d like to be seen a little more so we’re going to talk a bit about it here.
Usually, we wouldn’t discuss our traffic figures so openly. We think that sort of information is best kept between advertisers and PR people while we concentrate on bringing you the best news coverage and opinion that we possibly can. Every now and then, though, it’s nice to show why we’re so proud of what we’ve built and why we’d like it if more people took a bit of notice.
So, We’ve worked out our own stats and added ourselves to the list. Keep in mind that these are based on UK traffic only (ours is less than 50% of our total now). Also keep in mind that any figures taken from an analytic service will obviously have a margin of error. Ours are probably not quite as accurate as the ComScore methods used by GI.biz for other sites but it gives us all an idea of where we sit.
I think it’s interesting to note that (I think) we would be the third largest UK-based site (GameSpot is the UK-branded pages of a US site) on the list, after Eurogamer and CVG. If that is accurate, it’s impressive given the gulf in financial and industry support between them and us.
As with any of these commissioned charts, I’d advise you take them with a pinch of salt. We would imagine that, although every effort will be made to ensure precision, there is a little vagary involved with returned results. We’d be surprised, for example, if VG247 weren’t counted so their absence from the chart is a little peculiar.
The list is in the format “SITENAME – Unique Visits; Total Visits” and is based solely on UK data.
- IGN.COM – 2.46 million; 8.21 million
- GAMESPOT.CO.UK – 2.17 million; 6.94 million
- GAMETRAILERS.COM – 604,000; 1.95 million
- GAMESRADAR.COM – 574,000; 1.43 million
- KOTAKU.COM – 569,000; 2.44 million
- JOYSTIQ.COM – 528,000; 1.93 million
- EUROGAMER.NET – 424,000; 2.04 million
- 1UP.COM – 353,000; 664,000
- C&VG – 343,000; 1.29 million
- ESCAPISTMAGAZINE – 309,000; 1.11 million
- PCGAMER.COM – 280,000; 606,000
- GAMESPY.COM – 243,000; 416,000
- GAMEFRONT.COM – 233,000; 470,000
- TEAMXBOX.COM – 194,000; 310,000
- GIANTBOMB.COM – 186,000; 401,000
- DESTRUCTOID.COM – 180,000; 522,000
- THESIXTHAXIS.COM – 157,159; 300,030
- QJ.NET – 147,000; 215,000
- GAMEOLOSOPHY.COM – 136,000; 195,000
- VIDEOGAMER.COM – 126,000; 168,000
- GAMERSHELL.COM – 123,000; 165,000