Podcast

Podcast: Episode 65 - Minecraft, Sonic, Headhunters and Space Trawler

Minecrafty homing attacks.

It’s a full house of the regulars this week as I returned to oust teflon from my chair. I think Moira has a bit of a chest infection this week so the news is a little… eventful. We touched upon the Diablo III error codes, Activision’s alleged desire to hack Infinity Ward computers and that whole legal entanglement before moving on to THQ’s continuing problems and how The Avengers is really bloody popular at the box office.

After the news, I ate some humble pie with regards to my previous mockery of Minecraft and then Kris talked about Sonic 4 Episode II and drove me to a mini-rant on the subject. He drove me to it. Lewis restored sense with some talk about another bloody foreign film called Headhunters and then Kev followed up with a rather in-depth explanation of a webcomic he’s been reading called Space Trawler. Kris finished up the proper discussion by talking us through Batman Beyond before giving me a couple of minutes to mention that I’d started Starhawk this week.

We, of course, had our usual awesome quiz from Lewis before finishing up with some questions from you lovely lot.

• You can send questions via email to podcasts[at]thesixthaxis.com.
  • You can also tag your questions on Twitter with #tsacast and, provided you’re not on a private account, we’ll see them in our search each week. Finally, as usual, there’s a questions thread in the forum.

This podcast features strong language, jokes in poor taste and adult themes, if you’re offended by that then we recommend that you don’t listen to it at all.

• As usual, you can grab the MP3 file here (right click to download).
  • You might want to get it (when the RSS catches us) on the RSS feed, here.
  • Or we’re on iTunes, when iTunes feels like updating. You can also leave us a review and subscribe there, if you want to be particularly lovely.

Get us on Twitter:

1. halbpro
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

Look, I’ll be honest here. I forgot to fill in one of the preview audio bits. So sh. I did the other one.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 17:06.
    • SavageOranges
      Since: Aug 2010

I can’t listen to it knowing its incomplete! D:

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 18:17.
  2. dude90

I think the newsreader impression is getting a bit old, I could do a much better one.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 18:39.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

Prove it. Email me your best Moira impression (I’ll take Sir Trevor McDonald at a push but no Dermot Murnaghan – he went to my school and it brings back bad memories).
      peter[at]thesixthaxis DOTCOM.
      Challenge: laid down.
      Offer open to anyone who thinks they can do a better newsreader impression.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 18:49.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I am allowed to kidnap actual newsreaders and force them to read a piece of news then send it to you right? If not then i have a lot of unused gaffer tape to return.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 19:53.
  3. rht992
    Since: Apr 2009

Great podcast guys. Thanks for the film suggestions. Turns out we both loved old boy, lady vengence and thirst however they did leave me thinking “oh god there is no hope for any of us”

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 23:12.
    • heedbaw

Was Sympathy for Mr Vengeance mentioned? I’d also recommend a watch of that too.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 00:40.
    • bigbaldwolf
      Since: Mar 2012

Old Boy and Thirst are amazing films. I’m shocked that they are remaking Old Boy. Not something I will be watching

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 08:53.
  4. hazelam

so Peter, you’ve finally got Minecraft.

great.
    now you’re one of us.
    one of us.
    one of us.
    one of us.
    O_O

finally, i’ve seen one of those obscure movies Lewis reviewed.
    i saw Fermat’s Room some time last year.

i thought it was pretty good.
    the sense of paranoia really comes out with nobody knowing who to trust and who was behind it.

i couldn’t see how they could turn it into a saw type franchise, but then it works as a standalone thriller.

actually, i just realised, one film this reminds me of, is Cube.
    from the single room setting, to the maths theme.

i’m gonna check out that webcomic, there are a few i already read regularly.
    QC is one of my favourites.
    but this one sounds like fun.

on the quiz, didn’t Majel Roddenberry voice the Enterprise computer?
    she’s been voicing the computers in star trak since the next generation.

sadly she won’t be doing the same for the new star trek film as she died before the last film came out.

i would have got 7 on the quiz but i couldn’t remember the name of The Hurt Locker.
    i put bomb squad.
    ^_^

good choice on the guide Kris, i just finished reading the books again a few weeks ago.

have you read the latest book? And Another Thing.
    it’s written in the same style as Adams books, but it’s not quite the same.
    it was written by Eoin Colfer, given the choice i’d like to see more books by Adams but as that’s sadly not possible i would like to see Colfer write more.

i’ve never read American Gods, i’ve read a few of Gaiman’s books, Good Omens that he wrote with Terry Pratchett was a great book, and i’ve got the audiobook of Anansi Boys, read by Lenny Henry.

some of the other books i like to reread are the Rendezvous With Rama series By Arthur C Clarke.
    and the Iron man by Ted Hughes.
    i first read that book when i was little and i just loved it.
    the animated movie, retitled to The Iron Giant, probably because of the marvel character, captured a lot of what made the book great, losing the bit about the space bat, but adding a touching subplot about the iron man being some alien weapon but he doesn’t want to be.
    Vin Diesel did a good job as the voice of the iron man.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 16:43.