Xbox One Will Be Delayed To 2014 In Eight Markets

It appears as though that absurd rumour that the Xbox One would be delayed until 2014 wasn’t completely false after all, with Microsoft confirming that while the console will still release in 13 of its 21 intended markets this year, eight markets will have to wait until next year for the system.

So, the console will be releasing in Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand in November, but won’t see a release in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland until 2014.

That’s quite a big chunk of European countries. The problem seems to be localisation issues, with Microsoft saying:

While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country.

It’s all okay though, as Microsoft are “doing everything we can to bring Xbox One to you as soon as possible next year.”

Next year. That’s quite the wait.

– PAGE CONTINUES BELOW –

43 Comments

  1. Bahaha. Ahem. Sorry. These must be the smallest markets.

    • Microsoft are assuming they can sell them in the first list of markets. Given how badly the Xbone pre-orders have bombed, there should be ample to supply the remaining die-hards globally.

  2. Well looks like Europe is Sony’s market once again.

  3. There isn’t a face or a palm big enough.

    • not even the ascii Picard?

      dayum. O_O

  4. could they balls this launch up any worse?

    what i am saying, of course they could. o_O

    nothing seems to have gone their way with this launch.

    you know, i almost feel sorry for em.

    almost.

  5. MS focusing on their key markets is hardly bad business, but they have consistently struggled to maintain any real positive PR for more than a day or two.

    Wonder when it’ll land in Japan?

    • Or they’ve redirected their programmers to dealing with their various 180’s so can’t work on localising the console.

    • They might be focusing on their most important European markets but they knew from the beginning that they needed to have these languages integrated into the system and compatible with Kinect.
      All I see is another sign that they are rushing the One to the market before it’s ready. They could really screw this up if they are not careful.

  6. So basically they are making sure the countries that are most important to them have enough for release. Better than Sony’s preorder now or your not getting one attitude

    • Microsoft have the luxury that they have alienated all but the die-hard Xbox fans, so can easilly meet launch demand.

      Sony have an influx of disgruntled Xbox owners to add to it’s userbase, and have therefore had to limit numbers.

      I know our local store, the ratio of PS4 to Xbone pre-orders is 9:1 in favor of the PS4 – really….. I’m guessing that will be played out elsewhere too, but you will never hear about that in the press, there is far to much Microsoft money to be had by NOT publishing that story…

  7. I bet they get a fantastic reception at GamesCon! They’ll have to fill the hall 100% with MS employees to get anything other than a chorus of boos.

    • Don’t put it past Microsoft to do that. I remember the London Xbox360 launches at HMV and Game in Oxford and Regent St. 90% of the people in the queue were either Microsoft employees ferried up from Reading for the night, or from a PR agency they were using in the run up to the launch. The other 10% of the queue were clueless Xbox fanboys oblivious to this and swept along on the hype train.

      I would expect the same was occurring at high profile stores across the globe.

      What’s even funnier was that the Microsoft employees from reading had to hand them back when they got back on the bus, so they could be fed back into the retail chain for real punters.

  8. All their excuses would have been known about since their first Xbox so I don’t believe them.

  9. Don’t worry, they’ll soon change their mind.

  10. Ooooh, an idea for the MS GamesCon presentation – TSA list out (E3 bingo style) a list of complete and utter balls-up scenarios and we the readers guess which events will take place.
    My money would be on the presentation of FIFA being run on a PS4 followed by the presenter trying to figure out where to plug in the kinect camera.

Comments are now closed for this post.