News Snatch: Destiny Dancing, Digimon Vita And “Fully Gay” Characters

Greetings one and all, apologies for the lack of Snatches I have been rather busy with the day job. Anyways, video games and stuff, starting with a tech video for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Gameplay from Dead Island: Epedemic, the rather odd spin off from the main Dead Island games

Bungie have explained to IGN why you can dance and sit down in Destiny.


You can dance because the communication in Destiny is in some ways non-verbal; we have enough experience with online games to know that sharing voice chatter in games needs to be a very intimate, consensual agreement.

At the same time, this game is social and co-operative and so you will encounter people in the wild who you want to co-operate with. Now, maybe that’s to say thank you or to point to something or even just to sit down to indicate to someone that you’re fetching another beer, so the dance is just a little reminder that at the end of the day we are making a game and that it’s fun.

Bandai Namco have updated the website for forthcoming PS Vita game, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. Check out the screens which show Agumon and Gabumon.

“We will continue to support the PS3 through first and third parties as long as there is a good business there for us,” say Sony.

Look, it’s the Hitler loving Nazi Charlie Brooker, as seen in Sniper Elite 3.

Grand Theft Auto V on Xbox 360 has been modded to make it first person.

What could more exciting that Goat Simulator? Why, Rock Simulator of course! Yes, that is rock as in the geological things, not the type of music.

For a long time, there has been one game missing from the market, a genuine rock simulator. I am here for you today to introduce you to Rock Simulator 2014. This simulator is a rock enthusiasts dream. You can watch beautiful rocks in any location in the world. From grass plains to salt flats, there are dozens of hand designed BEAUTIFUL environments.

NHL15 is looking rather lovely on next-gen, check out these screens.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is to feature the first ever “fully gay” character, a poor choice of words for which the developer has now apologised for.


So hurrah then, go the gays and inclusivity and stuff, Lead Series Writer David Gaider will now explain his back story.

Dorian is gay — he is, in fact, the first fully gay character I’ve had the opportunity to write. It added an interesting dimension to his back story, considering he comes from a place where “perfection” is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian’s refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.

So the gay character is the pariah and “smacks of deviancy”. Excellent work, games industry, excellent work.

And Finally, a rather amusing EA Sports UFC glitch. I’m off to sashay down the red carpet at the Transformers: Age of Extinction premiere, I’ll give Marky Mark a big hug on your behalf. Tata!



  1. So the gay character is the pariah and “smacks of deviancy”. Excellent work, games industry, excellent work.

    I don’t think the way he’s being shaped (character-wise) is an actual problem as it often reflects how modern day society (and families) deal with such a thing. However, I wish we could be at a time when it’s simply not newsworthy at all. Then we wouldn’t make such a big thing of it all. Oh well, time will sort that out, hopefully.

    • But why represent the shitty side of gayness? Yes it happens but there are unicorns and rainbows and orgies as well. That never happens.

      • Hang on. We get unicorns now? Why wasn’t I informed? Who do I complain to?

        I demand a unicorn!

        You can keep your rainbows though. They tend to come with rain (the clue being in the name). And orgies always struck me as being far too confusing. Too many body parts going in all sorts of directions.

        But seriously, I think the answer to your question is “because it’s more interesting”. There’s potential for interesting stories there. Or to try and make some point in a spectacularly unsubtle way. I’ve got no problem with it, depending on how it’s handled and if there’s any point to it.

        I’ve still got a problem with the apologising for it being controversial thing though. It’s not, unless you’re an idiot. In which case, that’s you’re problem. Deal with it.

        And one day, it won’t be controversial to anyone, anywhere. Generally isn’t in this country, apart from a few muppets. But just look at the news to see where the idiots are still in plentiful supply. Or, if you believe some theories, where vast numbers of male are quite obviously hungry for cock and just won’t admit it.

      • I dunno. Its difficult to come to any sort of conclusion without actually seeing how its implemented. But I get the impression from bioware games that the homosexual characters fit into their games the same way the 80’s cop movie archetype did. Where the cop was always the “maverick loose cannon with nothing to lose” the homosexual men in Bioware games seem to have the air of “outcast pariah”

        But I do applaud Bioware for bringing at least a little equality to the genre.

        I wont really feel like the industry has turned a corner until homosexuality is explored with the maturity in games as it is in films like Gohatto and TV shows like The Wire.

      • Maturity is not the games community’s strongest suit.

      • Certainly not the community and the media that surrounds it.

        Its one of the reasons I tend to hang out here at TSA. This place is an island of rationality and logic!

        Imagine trying to have this kind of reasonale discussion in some other places online…

      • Agreed, TC, but Dragon Age is an altogether darker tone than some happy-clappy Nintendo game (although they can’t represent the demographics properly either, half of the time).

        Fingers crossed, there’s a rainbow-coloured unicorn orgy at the end of Inquisition. :-)

  2. Digimon digvolve to digi champion! Used to love this so much growing up.

  3. May have sniggered at the writer being called David Gaider.

    • Well, that’s childish, isn’t it? You’d never get me doing that.


      I’ve only been laughing at the Oscar Wilde based jokes. Dorian Gay indeed.

  4. I think everybody needs to stop being fully gay. 75% gay is the only acceptable percentage.

    • That’s going to be a problem. At the very least, I’ll need someone to provide diagrams.

      Can we not do it as some sort of average? And if it drops too low, the government can encourage more unicorn farmer immigrants. (I’m working on the logic that unicorn farmers must obviously be Very Gay Indeed. At least 132%)

      • 75% means you’re only allowed to enjoy the first three quarters. You’re not allowed to draw pleasure from the remaining 25%.

      • Can I enjoy the middle 75% instead? That’s the fun bit. The other 25% is struggling with buttons and belts and stuff, followed by cleaning up the mess and repairing furniture and putting it back where it’s supposed to be.

        At least, it is if you’re doing it right.

        (And yes, that’s only the sex part of being gay I’ve included there. But really, that’s the only thing that’s different)

      • Even then, it doesn’t really sound all that much different to be honest.

  5. The 75% rule applies to all of the gay experience. From TC’s description, you can enjoy the rain but not the bow, the unicorn but not the horn and the first 3 guys at the orgy but not the last.

    • Surely a unicorn without a horn is just a horse?

      And 75% of a rainbow would be from the red bit to somewhere around the greener end of the blue bit. Or the violet end up to a very orangey red.

      As for 3 guys at the orgy but not the last, that implies there’s 4 others there. Which is more of a polite gathering than an orgy.

  6. Ok, that has cemented it for me – Dead Island Epidemic is definitely not for me. Looks very poor & nothing much like the actual games it is bridging!

    Oh well, I am sure someone out there will enjoy it for what it is.

Comments are now closed for this post.