Sony has revealed a new headset for the PS3 and PS4, announcing the Silver Wired Headset which will be launching this Autumn. At the moment the news is only on the US PS blog with no mention on the European one, which could mean it may be launching later in Europe. Or the EU blog team just hasn’t got round to posting the news yet. Anyway, the Silver Wired Headset will be retailing in the US for $69.99, with the following features.
- Immersive 7.1 virtual surround sound
- Custom audio modes created by developers specifically for PlayStation games
- Retractable boom mic for voice chat while playing online
- Breathable ear cushions and a lightweight design for hours of gameplay
- In-line volume and mic controls
While the headset does support 7.1 surround sound, this feature will only work if plugged into the USB port of the console. You can plug the headset directly into the DualShock 4, but it will only work as a standard headset and specific features, like the 7.1 sound and custom game audio, will be lost. Sony also announced that there will be an audio update for headsets based on Destiny, and that update should be available from the game’s launch.
Source: US PS Blog