When Bungie announced Destiny’s Rise of Iron expansion one week before E3, we were told that the expansion would only be made available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, leaving those still on PS3 and X360 behind in many ways. Bungie’s Eric Osborne explained in an interview with VG247 that 90% of Destiny players were on PS4 and Xbox One, which is a big reason Rise of Iron will only be made available on current gen.
As content will be released for the current-gen consoles, Bungie plans on removing events from its last-gen version of Destiny. Though Rise of Iron is coming in September, this change will actually start in August and future Destiny game updates and content releases will only be available on PS4 and Xbox One. These are the following events which will no longer occur on the last-gen version of Bungie’s space shooter:
• The Trials of Osiris weekly Crucible event.
• Iron Banner Crucible event and any Live Events. (Past live events included Festival of the Lost, Crimson Days, and the Sparrow Racing League.)
The Destiny events and activities which will still be available on last-gen are:
• Daily Heroic Missions, Weekly Heroic Strikes and Nightfall Strikes.
• Daily and Weekly Crucible Featured Playlists as well as the Weekly Crucible Bounties.
• Raids and Boss Challenges such as the Vault of Glass, Crota’s End, King’s Fall, and the weekly King’s Fall Boss Challenges.
• Prison of Elders (level 28, 32, 34, 35, and 41) and Challenge of Elders (level 42).
• Armsday Orders and Test Weapons from the Gunsmith.
• Xur will continue to appear in the Tower or the Reef, but he will no longer offer individual Exotic Weapons and Armor pieces.
• He will still sell Encrypted Exotic Engrams which will decrypt into Year 2 Exotics. Encrypted Legacy Engrams will also continue to be sold, and will decrypt into Year 1 Exotics.
• Heavy Ammo Synthesis, Three of Coins, Vehicle Upgrades, Motes of Light, and Glass Needles will continue to be sold by Xur to PS3 and Xbox 360 users.
In order to continue competing in various events such as the Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris PvP tournaments, players will need to upgrade to PS4 or Xbox One and purchase the Rise of Iron expansion. Destiny: Rise of Iron launches September 20 for PS4 and Xbox One.