The rumour mill ran wild a couple days ago, when a Customer Service rep for Sony suggested that PS4 system software 4.50 would be coming out the next day, but as Tuesday came and went, no update made itself available to the masses. Maybe that was never the plan, maybe Sony decided that they could make everyone’s news stories into “fake news” by holding it back, just for a laugh, but whatever the case 4.50 for PlayStation 4 and 2.40 for PlayStation VR will be pushed out to users tomorrow, Thursday 9th March.
It’s a pretty big update with the following features:
- External HDD – Support for extending internal storage with an external drive between 250GB and 8TB.
- PS VR Improvements – Social Screen resolution improvements, higher resolution Cinematic Mode and 3D Blu-ray disc support.
- Voice chat for Remote Play
- Off-console availability – the PlayStation App and PS Messages can now indicate that you’re online with a smartphone icon.
- Custom wallpaper & profile colour – Set your own wallpaper from any screenshot you’ve taken. Profile pages now also change colour to match your chosen cover image.
- Share your activity – More granular options over what gets shared in your Activity Feed.
- Activity feed privacy – Set privacy for individual posts, even after it has been posted.
- Save Data Shortcut – Quickly access save data via the Options button menu and the new ‘Upload/Download Saved Data option.
- From Capture Gallery to SHAREfactory – head straight to SHAREfactory from the Options button menu while viewing a screenshot or video in the Capture Gallery
- GIF support – Post GIFs to your Activity Feed.
- Boost mode (applicable to PlayStation 4 Pro only) – Use the PS4 Pro’s extra power to alleviate CPU or GPU bottlenecks in games not optimised for Pro.
- PS Messages and Communities app updates
You can see them all outlined in Sony’s video:
via EU PS Blog