There’s still time to enjoy the sunshine and warmth of this unexpectedly summery April weather, so be sure to make the most of it while you can. It won’t last much longer!
Then again, I won’t blame you if you avoid the big ball of fire in the sky in favour of trudging through the bitterly cold realms of God of War. Let us know what you think of the game if you picked it up yesterday.
In the News This Week
- Reports say Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 won’t have single player, but will have Battle Royale
- Battlezone Gold Edition drops VR requirement and it’s coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC… and Switch
- Housemarque are teasing their new game, Stormdivers
- Check out God of War’s upcoming photo mode
- God of War is the PS4’s second best rated game, and Cory Barlog gets a bit teary eyed because of them
- EA have taken “significant steps” to avoid the microtransactions mess of Battlefront II in future
- Sega are reviving the Sega Ages brand for retro classics on Nintendo Switch
- Dark Souls Remastered has been delayed on Switch
- Ubisoft have announced their E3 press conference for 11th June
- Sea of Thieves content plans have been revealed
- Xbox One’s May update will add 120Hz support and better game organisation
It’s time for another little competition, this time giving away digital codes for Raiders of the Broken Planet and its new Hades Betrayal premium content. It’s a “free to start” game, so the first couple of missions in this online co-op shooter are free to download and play, but 5 lucky winners will walk away with the Ultimate Edition which includes the full season of content, and a further 10 entrants will get Hades Betrayal, which can be played completely standalone.
So what are you waiting for? The giveaway is running until tomorrow night at 11:59PM BST on Sunday 22nd April.
Games in Review
After a busy last few weeks, there’s just two games in the dock for review this time around.
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
Coming out of Rezzed last weekend, Dave got to sit down with Tim Schafer, one of his childhood heroes, and talk about his BAFTA fellowship (and decide who could be in a BAFTA Fellowship of the Ring). He then turned to Greg Rice so Tim could escape and take a nap, and spoke about all things Double Fine.
The gang that went to Rezzed got the first of a number of roundups and features together, looking at Onrush, Guacamelee! 2, Fugl and Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes.
Dom sunk his teeth into For Honor for the first time, checking out the game’s new tutorial and training options from Season 5, before sharing his thoughts on the tragic RPG Smoke and Sacrifice and immersive sim Underworld Ascendant, which is coming from a team of legends of the games industry.
I had a busy week of previews as well, looking at how Bossa Studios’ Worlds Adrift is overcoming the content issues that plagued similarly sandbox No Man’s Sky and Sea of Thieves, opining that Wargroove is the game that Advance Wars fans have been waiting for, and going hands on with Nintendo Labo.
All the reports surrounding Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 ditching the single player campaign also warranted being looked at. Is it selling the series’ soul in the process?
Finally, What We Played features God of War, Guacamelee! 2 and Nintendo Labo.
Let’s check in with the community this week:
- Everyone’s yapping on about God of War right now, but Tony C‘s playing catch up and is finally playing Horizon Zero Dawn.
- JR. has found more of a horror vibe to Far Cry 5 than he was expecting.
- After a few weeks in Jamaica, tactical20 was feeling all piratey and so he’s been playing a bunch of Assassin’s Creed Rogue.
- MrYd has been a very busy boy, playing a bunch of F2P games and picking up trophies and platinums left, right and centre. He can add Tera and Rez infinite to that particular list, and he’s not far off with Killing Floor 2.
- After getting it from Twitch Prime, gazza has been really enjoying Shadow Tactics.
- MadJunkBoy has returned to get the Grid 2 platinum (with Crazy_Del’s help), clean up all the DLC missions in LA Noire and play Brink for the 100% trophy completion!
- It sounds like TSBonyman has been making some great progress in Bloodborne, but now he’s stuck at the Shadows boss.
- Jag was so excited for God of War that he went back to play the original on PS Vita. He also tried the new Ghost Recon Wildlands Splinter Cell crossover mission, but found it impossible to do solo.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
After the blockbusting God of War, what can gamers expect next week? Here’s the main ones:
- The Swords of Ditto – PS4, PC – 24/04
- Battletech – PC, Mac – 24/04
- Frostpunk – PC – 24/04
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole – Switch – 24/04
- Nintendo Labo – Switch – 27/04
Enjoy the sunshine this weekend and we’ll catch you next week!