I don’t know what the odds are of having both May bank holidays with lovely weather, but 2018 seems determined to use up our allocation of good summery weather early. Whether you’re away for the weekend, having barbecues, going for nice walks in the park or cowering in the darkness playing video games, here’s hoping you have a cracking time.
And for sports fans, here’s hoping that the English cricket team get their butts in gear (very unlikely looking as I write this), that Liverpool romp to victory in Kiev, and that tomorrow’s Monaco Grand Prix gives us the result we deserved two years ago!
In the News This Week
- Sony say the PS4 is entering the final third of its life
- Watch the Battlefield V reveal trailer – Out 19th October
- And here’s everything we now know about Battlefield V
- Battlefield V will have paid cosmetics and something called “Airlifts”
- Bithell Games reveal and release Quarantine Circular short story game
- The Miramar map is now live on PUBG for Xbox One
- Warhorse Studios unveil their DLC roadmap for Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- Grab the Zone of Enders: The 2nd Runner – M∀RS PS4 & PSVR Demo here
- Kojima wants to show you some moss at E3
- Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 are being remastered for PS4
It’s difficult to know where to slot this one in, but Dave Irwin, who joined the site a few years ago and has been a steadfast writer and review through that time, is heading off to new pastures like an excited cow after a long winter. He’s heading off to Rock, Paper, Shotgun to be their new guides writer.
We obviously wish him all the best, and if you want to do so as well, you’ll still be able to find him on Twtter as @Dave__Irwin, and can follow his work at RPS.
Games in Review
Just a handful of reviews this week. There’s another major PS4 exclusive and Tuff says it’s an absolute cracker, and two games that we played so you don’t have to.
- Detroit: Become Human – PS4 – 9/10
- Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition – PS4, XBO, PC – 4/10
- Disco Dodgeball Remix – PS4, XBO, Switch, – 3/10
- Dark Souls Remastered – PS4, XBO, PC, (Switch) – Remaster – No Score
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
It was a busy week for me in particular, as the number of previews ramped up quite significantly. Ahead of its release in early June, I took a look at the new MotoGP 18 and how it’s handling the jump to Unreal Engine 4, at how co-op shooter Earthfall is aiming to be more than just a Left 4 Dead clone, and how the Donkey Kong Adventure DLC for Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is set to be a banana fuelled delight.
I was at PDXCON last weekend in Stockholm, which gave me the opportunity to learn all about their upcoming grand strategy games. Imperator: Rome is a new PDS title taking us back to the early days of Rome, while Age of Wonders: Planetfall is a sci-fi twist on Triumph Studios’ fantasy series – I also spoke to Lennart Sas about what’s going into the game.
With a more behind the scenes look at all the changes coming to Battlefield V than was afforded to regular stream viewers, I opined that Battlefield V is more of what DICE does best, while Jason delved into psychoanalysis to determine what your weapon choice in Monster Hunter World says about you.
Here’s that Battlefield V reveal trailer
Let’s check in with the community this week:
- The New Generation gave MrYd a reason to hop straight back into Star Trek: Bridge Crew, and happily reported that Monster Hunter: World has finally clicked for him.
- Jag “finally” completed Rayman Legends and The Crew this past week.
- Bloodborne has been too taxing to deal with in this heat for TSBonyman, so played Elite: Dangerous and the demos for Wipeout VR and ZOE VR instead.
- No such sweatiness for Andrewww, who made it to Castle Cainhurst
- Ron_mcphatty finally got the GTA V platinum.
- Fragster has been very busy, completing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, beating another kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey, finishing the story mode in Pokkén Tournament, nabbing FIFA 18 for Switch and finally making a start on Kirby Star Allies!
- With the nephews away, JR. nabbed their PlayStation and re-played Lego Marvel Avengers.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
As we find ourselves entering June, here’s what you can expect in next week’s releases:
- Agony – PS4, XBO, PC – 29/05
- Yoku’s Island Express – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 29/05
- Ikaruga – Switch – 29/05
- Sega Mega Drive Classics – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 29/05
- Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 29/05
- Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Special Edition – PS4, Switch – 29/05 (US)
- Moonlighter – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 29/05
- Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Deluxier Edition – PS4, XBO, Switch – 29/05
- Milanoir – PS4, XBO, Switch PC – 31/05
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next week!