Can you believe it’s August already? I can’t, but then again, I seem to have lost all concept of the progression of time over the last week. On the plus side, it’s a little bit cooler once more, which means gamers can probably endure putting on their fancy VR hats for a spot of play now.
Alternatively, there’s always the Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII closed beta this weekend for those pre-ordering the game. Who’s hopped in on that?
In the News This Week
- GRIP: Combat Racing Zooms On To Consoles This November
- Only The First Spyro Game Is On The Trilogy Disc, You Have To Download The Other Two
- PS4 Expected To Have Outsold Lifetime Sales Of PS3 Within Months
- Frozen Synapse 2 Finally Gets A Release Date
- Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition Heading To PlayStation 4
- EyeToy And PSVR Designer Richard Marks Leaves Sony
- The System Shock 2-Esque Hevn Lands On Steam This September
- Gran Turismo Sport’s July Update Is Out Now
- Bee Simulator Announced For Consoles And PC
- Hitman Season 1 & Ryse Are Now Both On Xbox Game Pass
After a slight delay, we’re ready to announce the winners of our H1Z1 giveaway! Those receiving the Deluxe Founder’s bundles are:
- Daniel H
- Edward T
- Per A
- Ray R
Congratulations and you’ve all been emailed your winning codes.
Games in Review
There’s a pretty wide range of things on our test bench this week, from the wackiness of Pool Panic through to a new top tier pro gaming headset. Did anything stand out, though?
- Pool Panic – Switch, PC – 8/10
- Pixel Ripped 1989 – PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive – 7/10
- Airheart – PS4, PC – 6/10
- Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion – PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC – 5/10
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire – Beast of Winter – PC – DLC (no score)
- Victrix Pro AF – Headset (no score)
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
Easily one of the most highly anticipated games of the second half of this year, we got to go hands on with Marvel’s Spider-Man by Insomniac. It’s a rollercoaster opening couple of hours, and we can’t wait to see more!
Fans of Formula 1 have a lot to look forward to over the second half of the year, with an enthralling championship in the real world and the release of Codemasters’ latest game at the end of August. We went hands on with the game and then also sat down for a chat with Lee Mather.
We also spoke to two thirds of Ghost Town Games ahead of the release of Overcooked 2 next week, covering everything from new recipes and online play to the worrying implications of the Onion King’s cannibalism and furred animals in the kitchen.
Last but not least, What We Played featured No Man’s Sky, Spider-Man and Overcooked 2.
There’s plenty of busy gaming this week, as we check in on the TSA community:
- With the slightly cooler weather, MrYd has gone back to Star Trek: Bridge Crew, alongside regular bouts of No Man’s Sky and Destiny 2 and rage inducing Lumines puzzles.
- EverSpace has been a big surprise for ron_mcphatty, who’s usually not keen on roguelites.
- Crazy_Del completed Darksiders II while also playing H1Z1 daily. He’s looking forward to the full release with trophies, levelling and so on.
- Also returning to No Man’s Sky was gernboes, but that wasn’t enough space stuff for him, so he also tried his hand at rocket science with Kerbal Space Program.
- JR. picked up the platinum for Jurassic World Evolution, logging 64 hours play time in the process, before finding Lego The Incredibles to be “one of the best Lego games in ages.”
- Lieutenant Fatman is getting near the end of The Persistence VR, calling it an “excellent game” even if the difficulty seems to ramp up toward the end.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Now that we’re into August, it’s suddenly got busy again. There’s a bunch of ports and re-releases, but also a number of highly anticipated games like Overcooked 2 and We Happy Few.
- Dead Cells – PS4, XBO, Switch, Win, Mac, Linux – 07/08
- Flipping Death – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 07/08
- Overcooked 2 – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 07/08
- Layton’s Mystery Journey DX – Switch – 09/08
- Monster Hunter: World – PC – 09/08
- Okami HD – Switch – 09/08
- Yakuza 3 – PS4 – 09/08
- Madden NFL 19 – PS4, XBO, PC – 10/08
- We Happy Few – PS4, XBO, PC – 10/08
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next time!