It’s a bit windy and stormy out in the UK this weekend. So make sure to pack a brolly if you’re going out, but at the same time be careful not to Mary Poppins it halfway across the country!
In the News This Week
- Walmart and ESPN fall for the video games cause violence argument
- NBA 2K20 will feature the WNBA for the first time this year
- Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, and many publishers commit to show the odds on loot boxes
- Death Stranding is almost certainly being released on PC
- Dirt Rally 2.0 VR update arrives on PC, but “no plans” for PSVR support
- FIFA 20’s Career Mode will have some major changes
- Seven extra games added to the PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini console
- XIII Remake delayed until next year
- Rocket League is scrapping its loot boxes
- Some German gamers are happy to pay €600 (£550 / $670) for the PlayStation 5
Games in Review
It was one of those weeks where a lot of games fell into the murky middle ground of 7/10, but a couple of games did manage to stand out from the crowd.
- Pawarumi – XBO, Switch, PC – 9/10
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Gravity Ghost Deluxe Edition– PS4, PC – 7/10
- Metal Wolf Chaos XD – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Subdivision Infinity DX – PS4, XBO, Switch – 7/10
- Telefrag VR– PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive – 6/10
- Effie – PS4 – 5/10
- Nacon Daija Fight Stick Review – 8/10
(Reviewed platform in bold)
This Week’s Features
There weren’t too many features alongside the steady trickle of reviews this week. Jim returned to Friday the 13th: The Game on Nintendo Switch, asking whether or not it was worth picking up on the hybrid.
I then went back into Just Cause 4 to check out the upcoming Danger Rising DLC. It definitely feels like Rico is channeling his inner Marty McFly!
With the second Crash Team Racing Grand Prix underway, Jim had a look at where Activision could head next with Crash & Spyro. Oh, and there’s some tips on how to make the most of the Grand Prix here.
Check out the No Man’s Sky Beyond launch trailer
Just a couple of responses in What We Played this week:
- MrYd’s still playing Tetris Effect (despite some “horrible” music), Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (which is far too big), Honor & Duty, and is looking forward to the big VR update for No Man’s Sky next week.
- And Gernboes has been working on his backlog, playing Ni no Kuni on PS4 and Persona 4 Golden, both of which he started in 2013, and is playing Okami for the third time and on his third platform. He also grabbed EA Access for a bit of Need for Speed Payback, downloaded Sniper Elite 4, and has been enjoying his first few turns in Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Apparently he was “quite busy this week”. Sure.
The Week Ahead
And here’s what’s coming out in the next few days
- Friday the 13th: The Game – Switch – 13/08
- PC Building Simulator – PS4, XBO – 13/08
- The Bard’s Tale Trilogy – XBO – 13/08
- No Man’s Sky Beyond – PS4, XBO, PC – 14/08
- Vasara Collection – PS4, XBO, Switch – 15/08
That’s it for this week, I’ll see you again soon!