After a week away, Something for the Weekend is back to round up all of this week’s video game news and happenings.
But where was it last weekend? Well let me explain: I went away for the weekend, sensibly leaving my laptop and any possibility of work at home, and asked Dom to cover for my turn on the round up…. but then Dom was poorly, Gaz secretly went and did it anyway, and I was happily queueing up for Space Mountain! Sorry, Hyperspace Mountain.
It’s a classic mix up, and apologies to Gaz for not getting his round up published last weekend, but you can still find it here.
In the News This Week
- A new State of Play broadcast is scheduled for next week, new games to be revealed (like Vanquish and Bayonetta remasters or Resident Evil 3 remake?)
- Dreams Creator Early Access being withdrawn from sale this weekend – buy it while you can!
- Untitled Goose urges you to vote Labour – Exclusive interview!
- Campo Santo’s Valley of the Gods is ‘on hold’
- Destiny 2’s Season of Dawn detailed, roadmap revealed
- Switch Online SNES game library gets Star Fox 2, Super Punch-Out!! and more next week
- Star Wars Battlefront II Celebration Edition, The Rise of Skywalker content and playable BB-8 announced
- Gwent on consoles will no longer be updated, players can transfer to GOG
- Riot Games settle in gender discrimination lawsuit, to pay out $10 million
- Project Scarlett is out in the wild – Phil Spencer takes his next gen Xbox home
Games in Review
Outside of Mosaic’s release, this week’s clutch of reviews was largely about catching up on games from the last month or so.
- Guildlings – iOS – 8/10
- Mosaic – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC, iOS – 8/10
- The Alliance Alive HD – PS4, Switch – 7/10
- Audica – PSVR, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift – 6/10
- Lost Ember – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 6/10
- Sparklite – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 6/10
(Reviewed platform in bold)
This Week’s Features
It’s been a slow week for features, starting off with Game of the Month for November (which obviously went to Death Stranding). Later on, Miguel checked out the Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special Paradise Box Edition from Limited Run Games, and that was about it!
What We Played rounded things out as usual, featuring Pokémon Sword & Shield, Audica and Halo: Reach.
Checking in with you guys, and the only one piping up with actual gaming was MrYd. He’s had a bad old time with his internet (so couldn’t get the 7GB update for Battlefield V to download in a speedy fashion). Still, he tried MXGP from PS+ for a few minutes, settled in for some of Kingdom Hearts 3’s overly long cutscenes, and then got some actual gaming in with PvZ: Battle for Neighborville.
The Week Ahead
I think it’s safe to say that there’s not a huge amount happening next week, but there might be some interesting things, for PC players in particular.t
- AVICII Invector – PS4, XBO, PC – 10/12
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 – PC – 10/12
- Jurassic World Evolution – Return to Jurassic Park – PS4, XBO, PC – 10/12
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries – PC – 10/12
- Headliner: NoviNews – PS4, XBO – 11/12
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York – PC, Mac, Linux – 11/12
- Detroit: Become Human – PC – 12/12
- Project Sakura Wars – PS4 – 10/12
That’s it for this week, we’ll see you again soon!