From now until 2nd April, you can download and keep the hit co-op zombie shooter World War Z for free on PC viathe Epic Games Store, as Saber Interactive and Focus Home Interactive celebrate the release of a cross-play update to the game.
All you have to do is head to the Epic Games Store and log in to snag the game from the below link:
While you’re there, you might also like to grab this week’s other free games:
The update to World War Z enables cross-play between PC and Xbox One, letting you team up to tackle the PvE missions and wave-based Horde Mode Z. A PlayStation 4 update is expected to arrive at some time in the future as well, though there’s no specific timeline on this. Additionally, it seems as though the game’s competitive PvPvE modes are also off limits.
While the big talking point is cross-play, today’s update also adds new weapon variants with special perks, balance improvements for PvE and Horde Mode Z, and four premium character skins that can be bought in a bundle or that come as part of the Season Pass.
Here’s the full patch notes:
- Added Virus Sample functionality in Campaign
- AI Director will randomly spawn containers with Virus Sample that players can pick up
- Virus samples can spawn from Bombers that are taken down without them exploding.
- The containers are fragile and they will begin to apply negative effects to players as they break.
- If players will manage to finish the mission with containers intact, they will get increased rewards
- AI Director can spawn several Virus Samples, Bomber will also drop them
- Added 4 new weapon variants with unique perks
- Pistol – Increased penetration and damage vs special zombies.
- Machine Pistol – Full auto variant, reloads primary weapon after a special zombie kill.
- Classic Battle Rifle – Semi auto variant, no penetration but deals a lot of damage.
- Battle Rifle – Full auto variant.
- Thumper Grenade Launcher – Incendiary grenades.
- War Heroes character skin pack (included for Season Pass owners)
- Slightly reduced difficulty in Hard mode
- Significantly reduced difficulty in Normal mode
- Less Special Zombies will spawn in Normal mode
- Increased preparation timer between waves by 20% in Normal mode
- Supply points rewards will begin to scale down later in Normal mode
- Added significantly more random pickups in Normal mode
- Increased Auto Turret maximum ammo
- Capped by 10 the amount of Auto Turrets that could be placed simultaneously
- Fixed one of the shops not spawning items
- Reduced the amount of ammo secondary weapons drain from ammo boxes by 50%
- Reduced ammo crate cost from 100 to 70
- Significantly increased both XP and currency rewards
- Tweaked Extreme difficulty settings to restore pre-patch balance (it was changed to support crossplay)
- AI Director will spawn less secondary weapon pickups
- Reworked Bomber drop, he will spawn better Primary and Heavy weapons when killed
- Fixed several issues with perks stacking
- Minor UI and localization fixes
- Fixed several gameplay crashes
- Fixed some gameplay bugs that were causing inability to progress in levels
- Fixed issue that allowed players to clip through geometry in some places
PC Specific Fixes
- Added crossplay between Xbox in PvE
World War Z is out for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. You can play it on Xbox One via Xbox Game Pass subscription or, while not quite as good as being completely, with a 75% off discount until 30th March.
Source: press release, WWZ