One of the styles Jin Sakai can adopt is his Samurai style. This is the style he is most familiar with since it is the way he has been taught all of his life by his uncle Lord Shimura. He starts the game as a Samurai but there are abilities that he is yet to master, but as you earn technique points and complete quests you will be able to unlock different abilities.
Below is a guide showing what those abilities are and how they benefit you during Ghost of Tsushima. The Samurai abilities are split into four categories; Deflection, Evasion, Mythic, and Exploration.
These techniques are core to Jin’s defensive tactics when facing enemies head-on. This list goes from earliest unlock to the last unlock under this category.
- Perfect Parry – Parry at the last possible second to perform a deadly counterattack. Earns a moderate amount of Resolve. Press L1 right before taking damage then follow up with Square or Triangle to attack.
- Perfect Healing Parry – Perfect Parries recover a small amount of health.
- Unyielding Sword Parry – Parry an unblockable attack from Mongol Swords. Attacks marked with a blue glint can be parried and can be done in any combat stance.
- Deflect Arrows – Parry incoming projectiles while blocking.
- Resolved Parry – Gain moderate Resolve by using a Parry or Perfect Parry
- Unyielding Spear Parry – Parry an unblockable spear attack. Attacks marked with a blue glint can be parried and can be done in any combat stance.
- Terrifying Parry – Perfect Parry counterattacks have a 20% chance to Terrify nearby enemies.
Blocking is not the only way to defend Jin. Sometimes moving out the of way or striking first is what is required in battle. This list goes from earliest unlock to the last unlock under this category.
- Roll – Roll across the ground to avoid attacks. Press Circle twice to roll. Extinguishes burning.
- Dodging Slash – An evasive strike useful against slow-moving enemies. Press Circle then Square to dash and strike.
- Sprint Strike – Sprint toward your enemy and slash them with a quick strike. Press L3 to sprint and Square to strike.
- Shoulder Charge – Charge into enemies while sprinting to knock them backward. Press Circle while sprinting to execute.
- Delayed Strike – A delayed quick attack that inflicts extra melee damage and stagger damage. Hold Square to initiate pose and release to strike.
- Mounted Strike – Perform a jumping strike from your horse to tackle your enemy and inflict stagger damage. Press Triangle to strike from horseback.
- Perfect Dodge – Dodge at the last possible moment to perform a deadly counterattack. Press Circle right before taking damage then press Square or Triangle to counterattack.
With these techniques, you can use the Guiding Wind to guide you to specific points such as Hot Springs, Inari Shrines, Shinto Shrines, Bamboo Strikes, and Vanity items. These can be unlocked in any order.
- Wind of Health – Follow the Guiding Wind to Hot Springs. Soak in them to increase maximum health.
- Wind of Resolve – Follow the Guiding Wind to Bamboo Strikes. Complete them to increase maximum resolve.
- Wind of Charms – Follow the Guiding Wind to Shinto Shrines. You can find new Charms.
- Wind of Inari – Follow the Guiding Wind to Fox Dens. Foxes will lead you to Inari Shrines where you can earn additional Charm Slots and upgradeable Charms.
- Wind of Vanity – Follow the Guiding Wind to discover items that allow you to personalise your appearance.
As the name implies these are legendary combat techniques that are learned through completing the Mythic Tales in Ghost of Tsushima. There are four mythic techniques to learn in total. Different Mythic Quests become available in different acts but can be tackled in any order when they are available.
- Heavenly Strike – Unlocked after completing Mythic Quest ‘The Heavenly Strike’. A quick unblockable attack that inflicts extra damage against staggered enemies. Kills may terrify nearby enemies. Press Triangle and Circle to use. Costs 1 Resolve.
- Explosive Arrow – Unlocked after completing Mythic Quest ‘The Curse of Uchitsune’. Heavy arrow fitted with volatile powder that explodes on impact. Kills may terrify nearby enemies. L2 and Right on D-Pad to select Longbow. L2 and Triangle to equip. L2 and R2 to fire.
- Dance of Wrath – Unlocked after completing Mythic Quest ‘The Spirit of Yarikawa’s Vengeance’. Unleashes three consecutive unblockable attacks that inflict high damage. Kills may terrify nearby enemies. L1 and R1 to initiate, left analog to choose targets. Costs 3 Resolve.
- Way of the Flame – Unlocked after completing Mythic Quest ‘The Undying Flame.’ Use incendiary oil to ignite the katana and burn enemies. Kills may terrify nearby enemies. R2 and Right on D Pad to equip. R1 to ignite katana.
- Ghost of Tsushima combat stance guide
- The real world history behind Ghost of Tsushima
- Is Ghost of Tsushima historically accurate? We ask a samurai expert
- Ghost of Tsushima trophy list
- Where to find the grappling hook in Ghost of Tsushima
- Ghost of Tsushima Ghost techniques upgrade guide
- Ghost of Tsushima full Charms list