A major update for Red Dead Online is out today, with The Naturalist expanding Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer with the titular new wildlife-focussed Role, new charactes, new missions, legendary animal hunting, and plenty more besides.
The update follows the Bounty Hunter, Collector, Trader and Moonshiner updates, adding another facet to Red Dead Online.
This new Frontier Pursuit sees you come into contact with conservationist Harriet Davenport, looking for players who will track down specimens and increase her knowledge of the wildlife found in the game. She’d rather that you sedate them, but on the other hand, there’s always retired big game hunter Gus Macmillan, who will compensate with quality clothing and gear for hunting these animals. Harriet will be a bit peeved if you help him out.
Both will be found in the Welcome Center of the town of Strawberry, and you can track your progress in the new Animal Field Guide, which logs your tracking, photographing and sampling of animals. The Naturalist Role will then gradually open up new items, skills and gameplay to explore. So you could get a new Naturalist assisting breed of horse, bespoke clothing and accessories, weight loss and weight gain tonics, animal reviving tonics, and plenty more.
You’ll want the help of those tonics when you start to encounter Legendary Animals, which can be found both in Free Roam and through Animal Sighting assignments. It’s just up to you whether you help Harriet out or poach them for Gus instead…
Beyond this is a new Advanced Camera, available from the catalogue, and new weapons including the Improved Bow and Elephant Rifle. New Free Roam activities include Legendary Animal Protection and Wild Animal Tagging.
If you’re knee deep in Red Dead Online, you might be tempted by the Outlaw Pass No. 3, which has a track of rewards that include up to 40 Gold Bars and a bunch of other Offers and Rewards. The Outlaw Pass is available through to 19th October.
To get things going, there’s a bunch of bonuses and rewards:
Double Rewards and Payouts
Until 3rd August, Naturalists will earn 2X payouts on Tier 3 Legendary Animal Samples and Whole Carcass Sales. Additionally, there’s the following rewards:
- Become a Naturalist and get a Reward for a free Role Accessory, Outfit or Emote
- Sedate and sample any animal and get the Gila Monster Camp Flag
- Complete a Legendary Animal Sighting Mission and get a Reward for a unique colorway of the Farnholme Double Bandolier
- Pitch a Wilderness Camp and get a Reward for a Treasure Map
New Bonus Offers and Rewards
- Offer for 30% off any Novice or Promising Item in the Naturalist Role
- Reward for 2,000 Naturalist XP
- Reward for Free Sedative Varmint Cartridges
- Reward for a Free Legendary Animal Pheromone
- Offer for 30% off a Revolver
- Reward for a Free Ability Card
PlayStation 4 Early Access Benefits
- 10x Sedative Varmint Cartridges
- 5x Animal Revivers
- 5x Blending Tonics
Early Access Bonuses:
- Woodcote Poncho
- The Legendary Gabbro Horn Ram
- Legendary Chalk Horn Ram
- Legendary Rutile Horn Ram
- Three Fossil Collection sets
Twitch Prime Benefits
- 5 Free Legendary Animal Pheromones
- 6,000 Naturalist XP
- Free Wilderness Camp
- Offer for 50% off a Camp Dog
- Offer for 50% off a Tent
- Offer for 50% off a Vest below Rank 15
- 10x Special Health Cures
- 10x Special Snake Oil
- 10x Special Miracle Tonic
- 10x Special Bitters
It’s a big old update, with plenty more to come over the next few weeks and months.
Source: press release