Rabbit and Bear Studios’ Kickstarter for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes has been a huge success. Over $4.5 million was raised by more than 46,000 backers allowing for Rabbit and Bear to confirm development for the Suikoden spiritual successor. That total makes Eiyuden Chronicle the third highest backed video game on Kickstarter. The original goal was to raise approximately $500,000. With the additional funds Rabbit and Bear is partnering with Natsume-Atari to create a spin off town creation and management game, that will release before Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. The studio laid out some details, saying:
- It will release before the main game, which will hopefully hold you over during the excruciatingly long 2 and a half year wait.
- It will feature a variety of different “lifestyle” mini-games that will allow you to gather a wide variety of different materials to build up your town/farm/house.
- The goal is to allow these materials to transfer over to Eiyuden Chronicle allowing you a head-start at crafting some of the different items/armor/etc in the game.
- You will get to meet a few of the characters that appear in Eiyuden Chronicle and get to know them a bit earlier.
- There may be some kind of battle mechanic, but we are still talking it over.
However, this companion title will not be a free addition. Rabbit and Bear explain that platform holders will take a 30% cut of the base game price that will be charged to non-backers to allow for free codes for backers, a cost that cannot be met. Instead, the studio is asking backers to pledge an extra $7 to get a copy of this town creation RPG. If backers choose not there will be other opportunities to buy this title at another time.
Rabbit & Bear has announced that it will be developing Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PC. Oh, and the next generation Nintendo console though the team does not know what that will entail.
Source: Press Release