If you haven’t been paying attention to the date and the weather outside, then I’ve got news for you: it’s autumn! And that obviously means that it’s high time for Nintendo to reveal a new autumn update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which will go live next week on 20th September.
From new reactions, to spooky new skin tones and eye colours, you’ll have everything you need to scare up a fright on Halloween. Speaking of which, you’ll probably want to deck your island out to match the holiday, growing pumpkins with which you can then craft all manner of jack-o-lantern themed things.
Here’s what’s in store:
- Growing Pumpkins – Pumpkin starts are available in-game from Leif year-round or from Nook’s Cranny during October. Once pumpkins are grown, they can be harvested and put to use in pumpkin-based DIY projects.
- Halloween Preparations – Pumpkins are just the beginning of the Halloween-themed festivities coming up. With the big day just around the corner, players can start stocking up on candy early. It is possible to purchase costumes, such as a mage dress or a mummy outfit, at Able Sisters’ shop during the month of October. Body paint and coloured eye contacts are available by exchanging Nook Miles. Fellow residents will also give out Halloween-themed DIY recipes.
- Halloween Night Celebrations – When Halloween night arrives on 31st October, after 5 p.m., neighbours will gather in the plaza which will be adorned with an array of Halloween decorations. Players will also receive a visit from a mysterious guest: Jack, the “czar of Halloween.” By giving Jack lollipops and candy, players earn spooky in-game rewards. Saving some candy for neighbours helps players to avoid getting pranked by them. Luckily, they can learn a couple of new Reactions to properly express their feelings of fear.
- Dreaming Favorite List – The ability to take a nap and visit other islands within dreams was introduced this summer. Now, players will be able to curate a list of their favourite islands to visit in dreams, making it easier to revisit them anytime.
- NookLink Update – The NookLink Service in the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app is also receiving an update in early October With the update, players will be able to use their smart device to perform reactions in the game. How about using it for this occasion?
A second free update for autumn will be coming toward the end of November, with Nintendo teasing some Thanksgiving costumes and the build up to Christmas.
Source: press release
- Animal Crossing Dreaming guide – how does the Dream Suite work in New Horizons?
- Animal Crossing – How to enable island backups in New Horizons
- How to go swimming and diving in New Horizons
- How to meet Pascal and collect the Mermaid DIY recipes in New Horizons
- Leif’s Garden Shop and how to plant shrubs and bushes
- Quick start guide to your new island life
- Bringing Isabelle to your island and upgrade the Resident Services Building
- Blathers and Museum opening guide
- How to help Gulliver find his communicator parts
- Daisy Mae and the Stalk Market guide
- Change up your appearance and outfit
- How to use Amiibo with the Campsite & Photopia
- The 10 best new island names for Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- How to import custom clothes & art with NookLink QR Codes