Looking back at the week in video games, it’s been almost surprisingly busy. Sure, there’s been more of the chaos of next-gen console pre-orders – did anyone grab an Xbox Series X|S pre-order, or sneak into the second batch of PS5s? – but then there was the ZeniMax Purchase, the announcement of Luna, a kerfuffle about Spider-Man…
And the week isn’t even finished yet, with more tidbits and announcement set to come out of Tokyo Game Show this weekend!
The games industry never sleeps anymore, does it?
In the News This Week
- Microsoft is buying Bethesda – Bethesda to still publish games, but they could be Xbox Series X|S & PC exclusives
- Amazon announce Luna, a new cloud gaming service to take on Stadia and Xbox Game Pass – here’s all the games
- Football Manager 21 is coming to Xbox but not PlayStation 5, because Sony didn’t give Sports Interactive dev kits
- Marvel’s Spider-Man PS5 remaster will have its own trophy list, but no cross-gen saves
- Among Us 2 cancelled as devs choose to focus on improving Among Us
- Xbox Series X|S 1TB SSD expansion card priced at £220 / $220 – now available for pre-order [Updated]
- NieR Replicant remaster release date set for April 2021
- Quantum Error no longer a PlayStation exclusive, now coming to Xbox consoles
- Bungie detail Beyond Light’s tech improvements but you will have to download the entire game again
- The Cyberpunk 2077 campaign will be shorter than The Witcher 3’s as many “never made it to the end”
We’ve got a pretty sweet giveaway for you this weekend. We’ve got four copies of From Bedrooms to Billions: The PlayStation Revolution to giveaway, but for all the PlayStation fans out there, what makes this even more special is that one of those four copies was signed by Mr. Mark Cerny himself!
You’ve got until Tuesday to enter, so make sure you do that!
Games in Review
A relatively quiet week in the review column by our standards, but some good new options for you to explore.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps for Switch – NSW – 10/10
- FitXR – Quest – 8/10
- Serious Sam 4 – PC, Stadia – 8/10
- Worm Jazz – NSW, PC, iOS, Android – 8/10
- The Girl of Glass: A Summer Bird’s Tale Review – PC – 7/10
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition – NSW, PC – 7/10
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker – Definitive Edition – PS4, XBO – 7/10
- Evergate – NSW, PC – 4/10
And we had a review of one gaming headset:
In and around the review, we went to just a handful of other interesting places this week. Untitled Goose Game’s co-op update had Nic returning to the indie hit of 2019, but on the other side of things, Jim Skyrim’d it up with the tabletop game The Elder Scrolls: Call To Arms. He also took a quick look at the freshly announced Monster Hunter Rise, with 7 things you need to know about the game.
Finally, What We Played featured Goose Game, Serious Sam 4 and Marvel’s Avengers.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- TSBonyman thought he could just waltz back into Bloodborne, but was sorely mistaken, getting far too greedy in its testing action RPG combat. So he went back to his gaming happy place of No Man’s Sky Origins and explored the fresh pastures of Minecraft VR.
- MrYd had a similar week, exploring No Man’s Sky “Oranges” and finding some lovely new planets (but no worms), and Minecraft in VR. There was also some The Division 2 and RDR2.
- It was “just a little” of Horizon Zero Dawn for hornet1990.
- tactical20 has racked up 92 of the 120 stars in Mario 64, which is pretty good going!
- Crazy_Del is building up to his 500th platinum, which he hopes to grab on the PS5. He’s gunning for Marvel’s Avengers, THPS 1+2, Sound Shapes, PGA Tour 2K21, Skater XL and plenty more. A busy weekend ahead!
- It was more Spyro 2 and Pic a Pix Classic for willbuchanan.
- ron_mcphatty thoroughly enjoyed the “brilliantly done” Erica, and has been grinding through Fall Guys’ trophies and levels.
- And Andrewww has continued to battle through The Last of Us Part 2. He’s knocked the difficulty down to Normal to make it more enjoyable. Aside from that, it’s been a return to Heavy Rain and more Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with the kids, and Fall Guys.
I hope you have a good weekend and we’ll see you on the other side!