We’re exactly one month away from the start of the next generation, with the release of the Xbox Series X coming on 10th November, but all the chatter over the last few days has been about the PlayStation 5, with Sony finally answering some of the burning questions about their soon-to-be-released console. Backward compatibility, how to install an SSD expansion, PSVR support and more have all been revealed now, making up the bulk of the headlines in our round-up.
Let’s dive in!
In the News This Week
- The PlayStation 5 teardown video shows removable side panels, dust holes and how to install an SSD
- PlayStation 5 backward compatibility FAQ reveals 10 PS4 games that will not work
- You cannot use the new PlayStation 5 camera to play existing PlayStation 4 PSVR games
- Western Digital have announced a PS5 compatible SSD (probably)
- PlayStation Trophy levelling system has been overhauled
- Outriders will be released in February, will have free next gen upgrade and cross platform play
- Mortal Kombat 11 to have free PS5 & Xbox Series X|S upgrades, Mileena, Rain, and Rambo announced
- Fall Guys Season 2 is live now!
- Bugsnax will be out on 12th November for PS5, PS4 and PC
- Star Wars Squadrons unlikely to get any new content
Games in Review
Things are starting to ramp up toward the end of the year, and we’ve got reviews to help you decide what’s worth picking up:
- Going Under – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 9/10
- Genshin Impact – PS4, PC, iOS, And – 8/10
- Star Wars Squadrons – PS4, XBO, PC, PSVR, Oculus, SteamVR – 8/10
- FIFA 21 – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Ride 4 – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- The Survivalists – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Super Mario Bros. 35 – NSW – 7/10
- Kirby Fighters 2 – NSW – 7/10
And we had a couple hardware review, with a focus on soothing or vibrating your ears with high-end sound, and making sure you sound as good as you can.
- Skullcandy Crusher Evo Headphones – 9/10
- EPOS | Sennheiser GSP 602 Headset – 8/10
- Tonor TC-777 USB Microphone – 8/10
Away from the review queue, Nick played an awful lot of Baldur’s Gate 3’s Early Access release, finding an enthralling world, albeit one that’s a touch mean.
Dom revisited Avicii Invector with the Nintendo Switch Encore Edition release, calling it the “perfect portable album”, and he put a few questions to Synthesis, a go-to voice acting and localisation studio based in Germany. Steve then got a bit creepy, exploring the Alpine setting and hand-drawn visuals of Mundaun.
Nic braved the outside world to visit a cinema and watch Akira in 4K. Was it a worthwhile endeavour? Can you still visit a cinema in a responsible socially distanced manner? We discuss exactly that.
Finally, What We Played featured Star Wars Squadrons, Baldur’s Gate 3 and The Survivalists
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd played “too much” Genshin Impact, as well as checking out Trine 4 from PS Now and Rogue Company.
- It was a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn and Flight Simulator for hornet1990.
- A different kind of flight was on ron_mcphatty’s menu, as he played and loved Star Wars Squadrons
- Lieutenant Fatman is finding Death Stranding “surprisingly fun” right now.
- And Crazy_Del has been racking up more platinums. Sound Shapes on PS4 and PS3, Hitman Go on Vita, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, and Beyond: Two Souls have been knocked off, and with more planned for the weekend.
Have a good weekend (and wrap up warm if you’re going out) and we’ll see you on the other side!